It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD/ADD/Eczema/IBS/Asthma/Depression - In-Depth Possible Link Explained

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There is so much information available and new stories surfacing these days, that it's making it increasingly harder for people to find good, factual data that is supported by studies and clinical trials or medical journals. There is too much anecdotal evidence today to deny that ADHD exists, or to deny that it isn't somehow linked to what we put into our bodies.

You are what you eat, period. But does the story really end there? NO... it does not.

You see, a lot of people don't understand how the human body works and how it processes the things you put into it. Some things pass right through you while your body uses what it needs, others "stick" for longer than your body needs or wants. Not knowing the difference is a great deal of the problem plaguing people today and not recognizing the symptoms associated to the foods that we eat.

Not EVERY ADHD case is the same, and in fact there are many cases where there are additional influences or factors involved, such as depression, anxiety disorders, bi-polar disorder, etc. These "other" conditions create a very blurry grey area for us to understand the problem, let alone doctors who are looking from the outside and are given benefits for writing prescriptions from their newest pharma representative.

I am going to present you now with a majority of the information that I have spent years sorting through and working with doctors of all types to arrive to. I've been told from other people that I've helped that I'm a "saint", a "godsend" and that it's a "miracle", but again, this does not work for everyone because it depends on what the cause is, which for the case I'm going to explain, is the cause the majority of the time for almost all disorders in this spectrum. I don't seek to be any of these things to anyone, just looking to help others with this and maybe shine the light on this subject a bit more so others can further reveal things that I haven't.

This is my story....................

One of my children was diagnosed with ADHD at age 6. It started with him not being focused at school and constantly being disruptive to others and not following basic instructions. He had no lack of intelligence however, because his test scores were constantly off the chart. I fought with his school, who would not allow him to return without a doctor saying in writing that he didn't need medication.... this infuriated me, but I couldn't find one at the time, so he ended up on Adderall. Sure it helped him focus at school... but it also caused extreme mood swings, depression, anger, nervous tics and severe anxiety. The side effects don't appear right away, but it's a stimulant and does more damage to the brain than is alluded to by doctors. Even after later taking him off of the Adderall, he has a permanent tic that may never go away and it deeply pains me every time I see him do it because I know it was the result of an ill-informed decision. We took him off the meds and changed schools, but the problems persisted and we were quickly running out of solutions. We tried just about every "gimmick" thing that was offered at the time because there wasn't much serious research on ADHD/ADD and nobody wanted to really help, they just wanted their cut of money to spin us a little more and send us in another direction. It was maddening, and being fairly intelligent and resourceful myself, I can only imagine how other less fortunate people felt. That was when I realized how deep this problem went.

At the same time in my own life, I had been dealing with eczema/dermatitis and IBS that most people would not wish on their worst enemy. It was a battle in my life that I'm happy to say, I've won with the information I'll be passing along here. Between my child and I, we had seen roughly 17 doctors (mostly for me), and not ONE had the same answers or prescribed even remotely similar treatments. For example, the allergist said I was allergic to "something, here put this cream on your skin"... the immunologist said my "body was responding to something foreign, here take this anti-inflammatory"... the dermatologist said "go see an allergist to find out what you are allergic to and take these steroids in the mean time"... NONE of which worked and only made things worse. Meanwhile, I was also searching for alternatives for my child because the new school was breathing down my neck to do whatever I could.

With the kinds of problems I was having, they were contributing to depression and starting to have a negative impact on my life and everyone around me. I had to do something, and I obsessed with finding the cause since at one point, I was healthy and normal (or at least it seemed that way). The more I researched, the more I found that there were TONS of studies done, but none of the people studying one part were aware of anyone else's studies... otherwise, how could they miss such glaring correlations in the studies? When I would Google "eczema" or "ADHD" by themselves, most of the information was redundant and nothing really new. It was when I came across a medical journal on page 38 of Google's results (yes, I did go that far) that a little known detail was mentioned and let me down a different path.

Did you know that most ADHD sufferers usually also or did also suffer from asthma, eczema or depression? Hmmm... I thought this was a pretty interesting correlation. So interesting in fact, that there were studies done to try to find where the link is between them. It turns out that there is a common gene in the human body that is responsible for producing the anti-inflammatory response which is DEFICIENT in people, most specifically those with ADHD/ADD and/or eczema. Now, when I started Googling "eczema essential fatty acids" and "ADHD essential fatty acids", a lot more information started to show up. Most importantly, was the repeated mention of the FAD2 gene and the delta-6 desaturase enzyme. I started Googling these and was blown away at what I found. (this is over the course of many months, if not years)

This gene, the FAD2 gene, is responsible for a very critical function in the body. It is responsible for the function of the delta-6 desaturase enzyme. The enzyme is what we really care about because the gene can be carried by anyone and we just don't know how to identify why yet. This enzyme is responsible for how essential fatty acids are processed. Essential fatty acids are your OMEGA's in the chain, such as Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9. You can NOT get these anywhere else except from foods that you eat or supplements, your body does not product them naturally. You brain is mostly composed of essential fats and fatty acids and without this in a child's diet, their brain will not develop properly, and this is one of the most noted symptoms of ADHD and ADD. The skin also requires these essential fatty acids to function properly, as well as the digestive system. Here is an explanation for the acids in this chain:

- AA (arachidonic acid): vitally important as a building block for eicosanoids, also responsible for inflammation

- DGLA (dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid): vitally important as a building block for eicosanoids

- GLA (gamma-linoleic acid)

- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid): Vitally important as a building block for eicosanoids, sleep mediators and interferons; also a major factor in the creation of prostaglandins, which are essential for the body's proper hormone function and anti-inflammatory response

- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid): important in maintaining the correct structure of cell membranes

It is extremely important to understand what these are, how they function and how they become dysfunctional. My doctor explained to me that it is much like two construction workers that need to use the same tool, in this case the tool being the delta-6 enzyme. Delta-6 desaturase is used to break down ALL of the omegas! Please read that again.... it basically means that if you have too much omega-6 or omega-9 in your diet, your body will not process the omega-3, and vice versa. Your body requires omega-3 FAR more than the other omegas because it is responsible for inflammation, which decimates the body from within if it is not controlled, so having more omega-3 is preferred to omega-6 or 9. When you have too much omega-6, or not enough omega-3 that gets processed, the product is arachidonic acid, which is required for your body's natural inflammatory response, but too much will inflame EVERYTHING and make it seem like your body is attacking itself. This inflammatory response is what causes IBS, asthma, eczema/dermatitis and several other diseases. The inability to produce the anti-inflammatory acids, and the blocking in the enzyme chain of delta-6 desaturase also stops the body from regenerating the acids for brain development and maintenance. This is why the fish oil has such a profound effect at higher doses in people who suffer from these issues.

This doesn't happen in everyone. In some people, they are born with a deficiency in the gene and enzyme, and others develop the deficiency over time by weakening the enzymes. If you have ever noticed that a lot of Asian people can not drink milk, it is because they lack the gene responsible that produces the enzymes needed for breaking down the fat in the milk. Well, some people have the gene that doesn't break down certain fats, and this is usually the case with people that have ADD/ADHD, eczema, asthma, depression and a host of other problems and diseases. This is why the high ratio of EPA in the fish oil works so well. If you have these problems, you should NOT take a fish oil that is less than a 4:1 ratio of EPA to DHA because of the conversion in the body. The DHA will interfere and block the chain for the EPA, which is what is critical for the ADHD/ADD sufferer.

Equally important, are the supporting co-factors for the fish oil. The fish oil alone will not work by itself. The fish oil is merely one part of the puzzle, but it is a major part. The biggest problem with ADHD and ADD is the lack of (or too much) production in the brain of seretonin, melatonin and dopamine. The essential fatty acids are what are responsible for this in the brain. Drugs like Ritalin or Adderall just stop the effect, the "misfire" in the synapses in the brain, but do nothing to help the cause. (as with most drugs)

To really help the problem, you have to start with the essential fatty acids. This alone is not the answer because besides replacing the lack of eicosanoids (EPA) in the body, you also have to rebuild the weakened support systems around them. Most of the sufferers of these ailments are also highly deficient in co-factor vitamins and mineral such as calcium and magnesium. Research shows that roughly 50% of ADHD sufferers have a major lack of calcium. You can't take calcium without magnesium because they work together, and zinc is also supported by, and supportive, of both. The B vitamins are equally important because of their supportive uptake in the brain and cardiovascular system.

Exercise has been a major contributor as well.... having a place each day, or a planned activity that allows you to release the cortisone in the body that has built up in the body, and allowing the endorphines to flow supports adrenal function and assists in the body's expulsion of the inflammatory compounds. It also allows the release of hormones that AFTER you exercise, contributes to better mental focus. Meditation is also very effective and has been proven to have positive, measurable effects on the brain and body. For us, martial arts and daily workouts with meditation has not only brought us closer, but helped immensely on our feeling of "balance". For ADHD and ADD sufferers, it is best to exercise in the morning before school or work.

Equally, if not more important, is a change in diet. I can't express how important this is. Even when I thought were eating "good" because we ate lots of fruits and veggies, they were all canned, packaged, frozen, and otherwise had no nutritional value whatsoever. This was one of the main things we changed. Excess sugar, preservatives, alcohol and a few other things DRAMATICALLY effect the delta-6 desaturase enzyme and slow it down or block it from working the EPA chain conversion. Drink WATER. If you drink a soda, expect your concentration to degrade and to start seeing side effects of what you suffer from. This is the same for an ADHD sufferer, someone with IBS or someone with eczema. Stay away from chocolate and candy, packaged foods of ALL kinds. Don't drink alcohol, because it makes things even worse than the foods and causes major dysfunction of the enzymes. We have almost completely eliminated all of these things, most especially high fructose corn syrup, and the results have been tremendous.

Contrary to popular belief, organic food is NOT more expensive to buy, it just seems that way because you don't know how to use different foods for cooking efficiently. My family spends less money on all organic foods than we did for all of the packaged garbage. There are some things we enjoy that just can't be made ourselves or obtained in a non-processed form, but we treat them as a "treat" and are very moderate about how much we consume. Be careful of the words "natural" because that doesn't mean organic or no additives. Cyanide is naturally occurring, but you wouldn't eat or drink it if you could avoid it. The closer your food source is to it's original state of being (on the tree, bush, ground, etc), the healthier it is and the more you will benefit. The enzymes that your body needs to process the food ARE ALREADY IN IT, and this helps your body digest and process the food properly. The further down the line you process it, the more of what your body actually needs is removed from the food.

A majority of these "diseases" that sprung up just this last century should be obvious that your body is clearly telling you that it requires "cleaner" food. It is completely unnatural to squeeze sugar from 100 ears of corn into a metal can with acid that would burn through you if it were any stronger, and call it a drink. It is not natural to squeeze the oil from a hard nut into a bottle, cook your food with it and eat it. The human body was not designed for this, we were hunter-gatherers for thousands of years. We ate raw nuts (which contain omega-3), we fished (which contain omega-3), we drank water from mountain streams and rivers (calcium and magnesium and zinc), we picked fruits and berries right from the trees (your b-vitamins and others)... this is what the body has evolved over thousands of years for, not insanely saturated fats, trans-fats (which your body can't process at all, it doesn't know how), concentrated forms of sugar and foods that have been genetically modified. This is what happens when you try to go against nature, and we are inextricably connected to nature, not above it. I digress...

After doing some research, I found that there were some natural alternatives (which at that time were NOT being talked about like they are today and in some cases, still aren't) and started us out with a diet that was free of dyes and processed ingredients and a few different supplements that a naturopathic doctor recommended. It wasn't until we started on a very strong EPA fish oil with a 4:1 ratio of EPA to DHA and a good multi-vitamin with well-balanced exercise throughout the day and breathing techniques that the DIAGNOSIS for ADHD was gone, and a few weeks later, so was my IBS and eczema. When I took him to the same doctor, all of the factors that classify as ADD or ADHD were completely gone. There have not been any return symptoms as long as we continue on our routine and avoid the things I mentioned before that weaken our ability to process fatty acids.

So there is at least 2 diagnoses that I can personally confirm as "cured", one for his previously diagnosed ADHD and my previously diagnosed IBS and eczema.

Here is the complete list of what we currently use, and I would recommend that anyone who has or believes they have ADHD take a look at this information as well: (NOTE: this is in no way endorsing or advertising for these products, I'm just giving you the list and why I personally chose them, you should make your own decisions)

- Omegabrite Fish Oil - created after a study by Harvard confirmed the benefits of high EPA to DHA fish oil. The effective dose is around 2g total a day. I buy the children's kind and the adult kind (for my own conditions) and both have been incredible.

- Multi-Vitamin with Essential Minerals - this is a decent one, but you're welcome to find your own. It isn't great tasting, but works well. The important thing is the co-factor. They are very important for helping the fish oil to work. The fish oil alone did not produce the same results as when combined with the multi-vitamin. Another very important decision I chose the above one is because it contains calcium and magnesium, which are critical minerals that we do NOT get enough of in our regular diets.

- Suntheanine - this is a natural amino acid that is found in green tea that helps focus and relaxation. It doesn't cause drowsiness but relaxes you and allows you to focus. A lot like Valerian root with similar effects. Great for test-taking, studying and overall focus.

- Protein and Amino Acids - I get this at almost half of what it costs elsewhere, and I use half the serving size to make a chocolate breakfast shake for us. The protein and amino acids are an excellent addition and help provide the building blocks for the proteins that are used with the essential fatty acids to build and maintain brain mass. With added exercise, drinking one after a good workout will keep your muscles from getting stiff.

I hope that this thread helps at least one person... if that's all that is accomplished from this, than I have gained.

And of course, here are all of my sources: (warning - some content is extremely technical)

www.ajcn.org...

jpet.aspetjournals.org...

www.ajcn.org...

rosevibe.me.uk...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.nature.com...

www.eczema.net...

www.drmeletis.com...

wellness.med.miami.edu...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

shine.yahoo.com... - ADHD

www.apraxia-kids.org... - ADHD

www.archive.org... - ADHD

www.kidsmakingchange.com... - ADHD

www.oilofpisces.com... - ADHD

www.sciencedirect.com.../31/1982&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search& _sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1577860914&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b9d04ecfcb39129c530efe edb452681b&searchtype=a

www.eczemadocumentary.com...

borntoexplore.org...

www.suntheanine.com...

www.allnaturaladvantage.com.au...

~Namaste

edit on 4-4-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: damn typos

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Good thread you have here, and its true that we need to learn that we cant put all this crap into our bodies without having any consequences.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Great post! I suffer from a few of the above problems, never knew of a connection.

Thanks for the research

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Thank you.

Yes, I think people are starting to become more aware of foods and how they effect us, but there is such a long way to go and a fight against the machine that wants to keep people tied to their corporate foods.

My though - if I can't pronounce it or identify it within one of the major food groups (meat, potato, corn, etc), I don't eat it.

~Namaste

link   
I take molecularly distilled fish oil, along with evening primrose oil. I don't think you should think what works best for you will work best for everyone. The 4:1 ratio may be optimal for some people, but it causes me severe headaches. I can take a maximum of 1:1, and usually need more EPO pills than FO. When I take the natural E, FO, and EPO, my skin and hair are noticeably more healthy, and I feel better overall.

link   
Just wanted to comment on the fish oil dosage. Follow the directions on the bottle.
I am very in tune with my body, and I can tell you that the recommended dosage has an enormous benefit over mega dosing. This sort of correlates with what the OP was talking about, with the Omega levels being dependent on one another; a balancing act.

I have ADD myself, and I can say right now, fish oil makes me feel 10 times sharper than without it. It gives me this incredible sharpness, drive and motivation, and in turn relieves my depression without making me feel tweeked out like prescription meds. You can actually feel a significant increase in dopamine from this supplement in the first week. You know that feeling when you eat bite down on a juicy burger from off the BBQ on a very empty stomach? That's what it feels like, but with an amazing sharpness and clarity of mind on top of it. Who would of thought something so seemingly mundane could be so effective? The complexity of the body is just astounding.
edit on 4-4-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Great post! I suffer from a few of the above problems, never knew of a connection.

Thanks for the research

My pleasure.

Before I changed the way I was doing things, I was spending $200 more a month on food for packaged and processed foods. Now, I spend that $200 difference on the supplements I mentioned. It's really about making a dedicated change and a commitment to yourself that you aren't going to be a victim of the choices that we're almost forced into making which end up hurting us and destroying our health.

What I also didn't mention is that I quit smoking a while back, and that started me down the path of "feeling better", so once I felt even a little improvement, I knew that other changes would only make things better and started committing to living a better, more enjoyable and less painful life.

If there is any advice or information I can offer to anyone, please feel free to ask. I'm open to questions and will be happy to share anything that I know or have personally experienced.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I take molecularly distilled fish oil, along with evening primrose oil. I don't think you should think what works best for you will work best for everyone. The 4:1 ratio may be optimal for some people, but it causes me severe headaches. I can take a maximum of 1:1, and usually need more EPO pills than FO. When I take the natural E, FO, and EPO, my skin and hair are noticeably more healthy, and I feel better overall.

Are you sure it isn't the primrose oil? If you have a deficiency, the primrose will not break down and the build up of GLA will cause headaches.

I also never said what has worked for us would work for everyone, but everyone who I have worked with directly who has had any of the ailments I have listed has benefited dramatically from the 4:1 and 7:1 ration of fish oil. I take a 7:1 and never have any problems, but it also depends on the brand. Molecularly distilled is great, but that doesn't mean it is free of all impurities because some don't come out through the distillation process, so you may want to double-check that. I have done very extensive research on it because it's my child.

The E is to help prevent oxidation of the EPA and fish oil.

And for all you know, maybe your lineage for your family tree are meat eaters and not fisherman or hunger-gatherers, which is why I said it doesn't work for everyone but does work for most.

Appreciate your feedback!

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Thank you so much S&F!!!!!! I too suffer from ADHD, acute asthma, depression, a sensitive stomach, a similar skin rash, and my body just feels all over inflamed, I'm only in my early 20's. You truly don't know how much I appreciate this and all of your intensive hard work. I've recently began taking a multi-vitamin with antioxidants and fish oil [now looking at it, doesn't say a ratio just that it has 1000mg natural fish oil concentrate which of that is 300mg of EPA+DHA and other Omega-3's (so would the ratio be 10:3?) It's Costco's Kirkland brand] I've also started taking Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Trader Joe's 'Very Green' which as the name implies has a lot of green stuff in it. My doctor recently tested me for Vitamin D deficiency, I wasn't deficient but I was insufficient, so I am now taking 2000mg of vitamin D. I'm sure I didn't get everything that you wrote so I'm going to save this and read it again, Thank you. Also do you mind if I share this with my therapist, she is a Registered Nurse and I'm sure she would love to know all of this, should I credit SonOFTheLawOfOne or do you have a 'nom de plume'? Thank You!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Your story just adds to the ever-growing list of success stories from using natural remedies, and the way you explain how you feel is a great illustration for others to understand how much of an impact something so small can have.

Thank you for sharing your story!

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BunnyBeHoppy

Bunny:

It really does make me happy to know that this information can be useful to you and perhaps help you.

Your situation sounds almost identical to where I was a few years ago. I remember looking at my skin and crying, and thinking to myself that it was hopeless and I was going to suffer forever with all of these problems. My IBS was so bad that I couldn't eat just about anything, and if I did, I had incredible cramping and pain that would put me to tears and at times, in the hospital with severe dehydration. There is hope, I promise!

Now, as far as what you are taking.... I will say up front that I can't give medical advice and am not trying to with this thread, that isn't my intention. But I am very familiar with what you are taking. A few suggestions for you...

1) Get a better fish oil. I know Costco is cheap for a lot, but they contain soy and a few other things that aren't needed for you. They also don't guarantee the same purity and can have immobile substances that once in your body, can't be removed. (such as mercury). The 1000 mg is the total Omega usually, with a breakdown of the omega-3 and how it is distributed (EPA % and DHA %) It is very hard to find anything higher than 4:1 EPA to DHA, and the one I specifically take is 7:1. My son and I both take close to 2000mg or 2g of the 4:1 and 7:1 fish oil. I will say, it isn't cheap but it absolutely works for us.

2) The alpha-lipoic acid can be both good and bad, so keep an eye on it because it can be a precursor to a block in the delta-6 chain, which would lead to a build up of it in your body, ultimately slowing down the processing of the EPA in the fish oil. The enzyme works on a sort of "timed" mechanism and will only process so much, so flooding your body with it won't help, you should try to distribute it throughout the day. I take 2 fish oil pills in the morning and at night with a meal. You want food in your stomach when you take fish oil so that your stomach acid doesn't destroy the oils and allows them to be bound to food that will reach your intestines and allow the EPA to pass into the blood stream more effectively. If you see an improvement, but it seems ultra slow, try scaling back on the ALA. My doctor tried me on it at one point and it only mildly helped, so I eventually stopped taking it, but everyone is different.

3) Vitamin D is a must if you don't spend at LEAST 30 minutes outside in the full sun EVERY DAY. Your body will convert Vitamin D for you. Make sure you take D3, not D2 because D2 has negative effects and should not be supplemented. It is D3 that is called "sunshine in a bottle" because your body needs it for a healthy immune system. I work inside, so I have to take it all year long or my immune system drops and I get sick. Since taking the D3 (3000mg per day), my levels have been perfect and I only got sick 1 time this year. My kids have to take it during the winter because there is hardly any sun here and they don't go out much that time of year.

4) Eat healthy and read labels. After you eat something, pay attention to how you feel and watch for signs within the next 24 hours to see how your body reacts. After 24 hours, most things leave the system and the symptoms won't be as noticeable. Get good sleep.

As for credit, feel free to share this info with anyone you please, I don't want any credit. My pride comes from reading a post like yours where this information has a good chance of helping you and others. I appreciate the thought and consideration though and am happy to answer any other questions you might have.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Are you sure it isn't the primrose oil? If you have a deficiency, the primrose will not break down and the build up of GLA will cause headaches.

It's most definitely the fish oil. Before I was taking a source of gla, I couldn't stomach a single FO pill without the severe headache. I have pyroluria, a (speculated to be) genetic blood disorder. It leaves me with excess omega 3, and faulty FAD2 activity. This leaves me with little GLA and Arachidonic acid. It's the same reason I naturally have superior long term memory and weak short term. Now it's excellent all the way around after supplementing.

I could only take fish oil with 2x as much EPO or borage oil pills initially. After knocking down the symptoms quite a bit, I'm now able to be on a 1:1 ratio about half the time. The other half I just take the EPO.

Everyone's genetics and terrain is different.

Edit:

Oops you were talking about the EPA: DHA ratio within omega 3. My bad. I was talking about the FO vs EPO.

The FO I use is 325mg EPA 225mg DHA. It works well for me.

I can't take just fish oil.

edit on 4-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Wow, so you are basically the polar opposite of someone with ADHD or eczema!

Thank you for sharing your information because I find it very intriguing... so you basically don't get inflammation when you probably should? The lack of GLA and AA, I'm guessing, would cause the delta-6 to process the other way, always considering the omega-3 in your system first before processing the omega-6 or omega-9.

That definitely explains why the evening primrose and probably borage oil (not sure if you've tried it) would work in your case. You would probably benefit heavily from eating things with uncooked eggs, since they are high in AA and from taking slightly higher than suggested doses of evening primrose oil combined with borage oil in a supplement, broken up throughout the day between 2-4 times with meals.

I actually guessed earlier that your family line were meat eaters, but if you are in fact suffering from FAD2 going the opposite way and disrupting omega-6 intake, that would definitely make you a meat eater! Almost all meats and eggs will be good for your diet if you need to increase AA. You may have to watch your cholesterol, but I bet your body metabolizes meats better so cholesterol may never be an issue for you.

Everyone is different, but it sounds like you are on the right path to understanding how your body works and how foods effect you. Thank you for sharing your details! It really shines a light on the subject so people can better understand, and that's what I'm shooting for. Get people to start asking the hard questions and help them find answers.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
LOL - somehow I knew smoking would find its way into this thread!

Is there any condition or disease or disorder or syndrome that is not CAUSED BY, LINKED TO or ASSOCIATED with smoking.

OP - you totally lost my respect and interest when you used the information you accumulated and presented about the causes of ADHD, astha, exzema etc to put in another plug for anti-tobacco crowd. I have spent about 5 years researching their "studies" and if your research is as "solid" as theirs than everything you are saying is CRAP!

Notice that these diseases have all increased in incidence in the general population almost in lock-step with the decrease in the prevalence of smoking and yet somehow, someway - smoking is connected.

Congratulations you almost had me there.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Excellent thread... You articulated way better then I.... I'm just wondering, did my recent thread inspire you to share your experience about ADHD and Omega-3s' and such?? Because just a few days ago, I posted a thread about ADHD and a potential cure. I think My experience combined with yours, is a great testimonial about how eating healthy and taking your vitamins can drastically improved your mental health...

Heres my thread.. The cure for ADHD Tell me what do you think

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

reply to post by unityemissions

Wow, so you are basically the polar opposite of someone with ADHD or eczema!

Thank you for sharing your information because I find it very intriguing... so you basically don't get inflammation when you probably should? The lack of GLA and AA, I'm guessing, would cause the delta-6 to process the other way, always considering the omega-3 in your system first before processing the omega-6 or omega-9.

That definitely explains why the evening primrose and probably borage oil (not sure if you've tried it) would work in your case. You would probably benefit heavily from eating things with uncooked eggs, since they are high in AA and from taking slightly higher than suggested doses of evening primrose oil combined with borage oil in a supplement, broken up throughout the day between 2-4 times with meals.

I don't need as much as I used to. My genes adapted to changed diet, as would anyone else's. Once the nutritional supplements corrected nutritional deficiencies, and detoxed the heavy metals, I was able to cut out a lot of the protocol. Now I only take 1 EPO, FO, & vit-e about every other day. It's more than enough now.

I actually guessed earlier that your family line were meat eaters, but if you are in fact suffering from FAD2 going the opposite way and disrupting omega-6 intake, that would definitely make you a meat eater! Almost all meats and eggs will be good for your diet if you need to increase AA. You may have to watch your cholesterol, but I bet your body metabolizes meats better so cholesterol may never be an issue for you.

Interesting. My family is a bunch of meat eaters, and heart disease/high blood pressure is common. I'm the oddball that now craves veggies! I also bombed my gut several times over and replenished the flora with high quality probiotics. Once the deficiencies were corrected, the genes adapted and now I can eat tons of veggies and fruits, but still crave lean, dark meat. I also take 3 grams of niacin bonded to inositol to fend off atherosclerosis.

Everyone is different, but it sounds like you are on the right path to understanding how your body works and how foods effect you. Thank you for sharing your details! It really shines a light on the subject so people can better understand, and that's what I'm shooting for. Get people to start asking the hard questions and help them find answers.

~Namaste

Thanks. I've helped dozens of people over the years online and in person so far. Food is a huge part of disease, especially since the environment is so mucked up these days.

edit on 5-4-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thank you so much for your post! I'm going to share this info with my brother. His son has been placed on so many meds to control his ADD...and he's really depressed seeing his son go through it! It's been really hard for him...

I will also use your info for myself for IBS...which I'm starting to feel that doctors see it as a "mental" condition. It's a general term they've thrown at me without testing me for anything in particular...go figure!

Thanks a million! S&F for an amazing post and for sharing your experience and for helping others!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Amazing. What you can find at a forum on the internet theese days are staggering. I have learned more about theese symptoms in 10 minutes than during all my lifetime.

Thank you verry much Son. And i particularely like the fact that you (probably) have studied the Law of One!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for explaining this far better than I ever could. There are so many ill-informed hair-brained ideas when it comes to ADD/ADHD especially. I get so worked up even reading some of the ignorant posts about this subject that I can't even reply effectively.

A lot of time you hear, "When I was a kid they called it a discipline problem" or something like that. It's important for people to understand that this is a relatively new disease, because the way we eat these days is relatively new. If you were a kid in the 70's or earlier, then stfu.

Explaining the link between nutrition and evolution is something I rarely have the patience or emotional fortitude for. I'm way too close to the subject, having a child with ADD (not hyperactive).

Especially interesting - which you touched upon - is how eating the wrong fats causes the brain to form differently. These fats are shaped differently, and therefor receptors, etc. get shaped differently. The brain ends up working and processing differently.

There was a thread on ATS recently about this very thing that was full to the brim with misconceptions. I wish people would do some basic research before talking about a subject. /rant

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join