It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annonymous attacking my rights as a gamer.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L

Originally posted by gougitousakusha

Originally posted by warbird03
Has anybody stopped to consider that perhaps Sony could be messing with PSN themselves to try to get the gamers on their side? Just a thought.

Besides, I don't get why anybody would be up in arms because of PSN being down. It's a privilege, not a right. Downtime happens.

was thinking this is possible too, like a teacher keeping an entier class after school cause she dosnt know who broke the rules. try and get all PSN users to hate anon even though sony is the ones denying service.

BTW are your online games still down? id be getting mad after 2 days

It's on and off. Whenever Anon brings down the PSN Store, PSN goes down with it. Sony's gotten it back up a few times, but the attack this evening has had PSN down for about 5 hours so far and it hasn't been back up. Last time I checked to see if PSN was still down was about an hour ago. So I don't know if it's back up yet.

All I know is, my day at work sucked and I wanted to come home and relieve some stress by playing Gran Turismo 5 online with my other adult friends, and I wasn't able to do so.

Right, because Sony would be incapable of bringing down PSN while the store is down. Oh wait, no.

What proof can you offer that it's Anon bringing down PSN?

But I guess your relaxation is more important than fighting against a company who would rather not allow people to use what they purchase as they see fit.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

I worked for MS in RAS / AD support. They outsourced my unit to India, then brought it back 6 months later at half the pay.

I'd rather suck a dead dogs nose then buy or use any MS product every again. That double plus includes windows.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha

Has anybody stopped to consider that perhaps Sony could be messing with PSN themselves to try to get the gamers on their side? Just a thought.

Besides, I don't get why anybody would be up in arms because of PSN being down. It's a privilege, not a right. Downtime happens.

was thinking this is possible too, like a teacher keeping an entier class after school cause she dosnt know who broke the rules. try and get all PSN users to hate anon even though sony is the ones denying service.

BTW are your online games still down? id be getting mad after 2 days

It's on and off. Whenever Anon brings down the PSN Store, PSN goes down with it. Sony's gotten it back up a few times, but the attack this evening has had PSN down for about 5 hours so far and it hasn't been back up. Last time I checked to see if PSN was still down was about an hour ago. So I don't know if it's back up yet.

All I know is, my day at work sucked and I wanted to come home and relieve some stress by playing Gran Turismo 5 online with my other adult friends, and I wasn't able to do so.

Right, because Sony would be incapable of bringing down PSN while the store is down. Oh wait, no.

What proof can you offer that it's Anon bringing down PSN?

But I guess your relaxation is more important than fighting against a company who would rather not allow people to use what they purchase as they see fit.

What?!?! Man, this made me shake my head, facepalm and sigh at the same time.

First off, no gaming company allows it's consumers more freedom than Sony COmputer Entertainment. Do you know PS3 is the first console in history to allow full PC mod support on a game (Unreal Yournament 3)? Do you understand how that's unheard of? I play Halo maps, Super Mario Brothers, Gears of War and other full games, and in the game I can play with the character models of Sonic, Cloud, Samus Aran, Mario, Master Chief, Spawn and a long list of others, all legal......it's FULL mod support on a console game. We're not talking Halo's Forge here buddy where I can just move some blocks around. Sony's even allowing Valve to put SteamWorks on PS3 with Portal 2. Buy P2 on your PS3 and you can download it through Steam on your PC for free, and cross platform online play. No other companies allow this stuff.

Secondly. If all George Hotz did was mod his console or even show other people how to mod their's, there would be no lawsuit. That's completely legal. And even if a lawsuit was filed, Hotz's attourney would have just cited the Apple case results and the case would have been dismissed. That's not what George Hotz did. What he did was publicly release on the internet COPYRIGHTED prprietary source code and encryption, which btw was stolen, Hotz didn't crack anything FYI. That code was stolen from Sony and provided to Hotz by a mole inside Sony.

All that sorce and encryption coding did was enable people to steal PS3 games. And I'm sorry to break it to you, but even if you see it fit that people should be allowed to steal if they want to, it's a crime. Everywhere in the world, stealing is a crime. Some places it will get you killed, some places you'll get your hand cut off, some it will be prison time, some places it's just probation.....but EVERYWHERE it's a crime. Sony has all the right in the world to protect itself from piracy, especially when it's only enabled by source code that's not only copyrighted, but stolen.

What I can't for the life of me understand, is why you and other people wrongly against Sony in this, like Anonymous don't or refuse to understand that fact. Sony is completely in the right in this case, and Hotz...and now Anonymous, are completely in the wrong. Hotz had no right to release that code by any morality. And Anon has no right to be attacking Sony here since Sony isn't infringing upon anyone's right, in fact it was THEIR rights that were infringed upon by Hotz.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Larry L because: spelling

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

Your lack of understanding in the matter is truly astonishing. Seriously, don't try talking about this subject like you know what's going on when you quite obviously don't.

Sony, allowing freedom? Are you kidding me? It's hardly Sony's credit for Unreal Tournament 3 mod support. Try the developers of the game instead. You know, the ones who actually made the game. Besides, it's not as if the mods are made using the PC.

It was never about piracy until Sony made it about piracy. There was far more made possible than just people stealing games. Games are going to be pirated, regardless of what any company or government tries to do. I don't approve of it, which you seem to be under the impression that I do, but it will happen no matter what.

Sony's got you right where they want you. They've got you convinced that only piracy can come from modding consoles and that any true freedom with your hardware is wrong.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

No, it's not me that's lacking knowledge of the issue. It's you.

It IS to Sony's credit for ALLOWING the use of PC mods in Unreal Tournament 3. No other console platform holder has ever allowed full game modding of a console game. Microsoft wouldn't allow it on the 360 version of the game. Epic BEGGED MS to allow them to have mod support on the 360 version......nope....not allowed. MS also specifically disallowed Valve from using SteamWorks features in their games on 360. Sony is allowing it.

It is about piracy. Sony put SO much effort into encrypting PS3's source code. It was known as the un-hackable console. 5 YEARS, hackers couldn't break the code, not for lack of trying. In comparrison 360 was hacked the week it came out. Not a single game could be pirated on PS3. Then one day someone from inside Sony decided to leak the source code encryption to Hotz. He TRIED using it to blackmail Sony and failed, so he put that source code on the net. THAT DAY torrents for PS3 games were out and being played by pirates finally after 5 years of not being able to on PS3. So don't give me that "it's just about homebrew" BS.

Besides, aside from emulation, what good is homebrew on a dedicated gaming console.....homebrew that on PS3 has no access to the GPU and only 256Mb of RAM to work with? It's useless! What do you want....a calculator on PS3? Or perhaps a GPS program just in case you forget your PS3 is right next to your TV? If you were interested in homebrew, you'd be doing it on your PC which has an infinitely more vast variety of things you could do with the homebrew. Even a smartphone has FAR more possibilities for homebrew than a dedicated gaming console. That whole homebrew line people who support Hotz spew is a complete farce.....a BS line they use as an excuse to have the ability to pirate games. I'm too informed about PS3's hardware, and btw just not naive enough to fall for such a lame excuse.
Do you see 360 game pirates trying to pretend they hacked 360 for homebrew? NO, you don't....because MS isn't going after them.

And no, Sony doesn't have me right where they want me, aside from as a customer. But I'm right where I want myself.......in Downtown InformedGamersVille where we don't fall for BS lines like "Itz for teh HOMEBREWZ!!! We SWEAR!!!!!".

Also, I havn't convinced myself modding is only for piracy. Don't ASSume you know what I think. I tell people exactly what I think. But modding specifically on dedicated gaming consoles IS primarily for pirating games. What homebrew has ever been on Genesis, SNES, PS1, PS2, GameCube, 360? NONE!!!! There's only been 3 gaming consoles to ever have actual decent homebrew, and 2 aren't even really consoles. PSP and DS...which makes sense because they are PORTABLE CONSOLES. You can bring that GPS or translator homebrew with you and it's usefull. And there's been a bit of decent homebrew on Wii, which makes sense because of the motion controls. But guess what?......on all of those examples, the modders and coders have full access to the hardware. On PS3 they can't touch the GPU. So again....homebrew is next to completely useless ON PS3. That code is ONLY good for pirating software.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

Sure, Sony allowed mods for one game. Want to know where all the homebrew is for the 360? It's on XBLA because Microsoft went one step further and allows anybody access to the tools to develop homebrew games for the 360. Microsoft didn't fight it, they made it official.

Oh, and it took nowhere near 5 years to hack the PS3. Back in 2008, less than 2 years after release, it was possible to run games from the hard drive instead of the disk. Look up PSGroove too.

The lack of access to the PS3's GPU? Guess who's fault that is? Sony's. So much for that "freedom" Sony gives you. You're right, homebrew is far more viable on a PC. Guess what? Consoles are, at the hardware level, essentially PCs.

It's easy enough to see why Microsoft wouldn't allow Valve to put Steamworks on the 360. Plain and simple, Steam is competition for Live. Sony doesn't care as much because they don't make nearly as much money from PSN.

What I said still stands. Sony has you right where they want you, convinced that modded consoles is a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Larry L

Guess what? Consoles are, at the hardware level, essentially PCs.

in the same way an abacus is

oh wait, you cant program that ps3
edit on 7-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

Yes, the specs are horrendous. Still essentially PC hardware though.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

what this guy (Larry) doesn't seem to understand is that PS3 is not a dedicated console when it first came out, what happened is Sony removed the OtherOS to cut down the costs of the Slim version of the PS3 but they also decided to do an update on the older "fat" models which would disable the OtherOS function of the older model

TL;DR sony wants you to choose linux = no access to internet or internet = no more OtherOS

well if you're gonna argue that no one used the OtherOS feature before well the U.S. army decided to buy thousands of ps3 to make a (guess what) supercomputer

Even a single PS3 can be used to significantly accelerate some computations. Marc Stevens, Arjen K. Lenstra, and Benne de Weger have demonstrated using a single PS3 to perform an MD5 bruteforce in a few hours. They say: "Essentially, a single PlayStation 3 performs like a cluster of 30 PCs at the price of only one" (in November 2007)
WIKI

also watch how you can use your ps3 as a supercomputer

[sarcasm]wow that's a really useless homebrew [/sarcasm]

and the reason Anonymous is attacking Sony is not just about ps3, it's not always about you gamers. it's what sony did...

LESS THAN 3

EDIT: since Larry likes to brag how Sony allowed modding
let me add this

Microsoft has released a version of its proprietary Software Development Kit (SDK) for free, to would-be homebrew programmers. This SDK, called XNA Game Studio, is a free version of the SDK available to professional development companies and college students.

WIKI

edit on 7-4-2011 by MarkofCain because: (no reason given)

EDITTTTTTTTTTT: i forgot to add that it's spelled Anonymous not Anonnymous

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Secondly. If all George Hotz did was mod his console or even show other people how to mod their's, there would be no lawsuit. That's completely legal. And even if a lawsuit was filed, Hotz's attourney would have just cited the Apple case results and the case would have been dismissed. That's not what George Hotz did. What he did was publicly release on the internet COPYRIGHTED prprietary source code and encryption, which btw was stolen, Hotz didn't crack anything FYI. That code was stolen from Sony and provided to Hotz by a mole inside Sony.

can you give me a source where you got this srs information?

we the people who can't do research is begging you pls?

EDIT: for the LULZ!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

Microsoft mite be doing a better moderating job, but they are worse than Sony. I also had an Xbox until Microsoft tried making charges to a couple prepaid credit cards I had listed under my account that I never authorized and axed my account because there was no money on the cards. Microsoft is the real criminals.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join