It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annonymous attacking my rights as a gamer.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You have "rights" as a gamer? Really? Is that in the Constitution or something? Are gamers now a "protected class" who can sue for discrimination? Wow!

Oh.......I'm sorry. I was under the impression that all people (assuming they aren't prisoners of the state) have rights. I guess I was mistaken.....thanks for clearing that whole mess up for me.

Now that the sarcasm is over........ I'm a consumer, and consumers have rights according to United States law. If I spend my hard earned money on a video game console that has online capability, and then purchase a video game with online multi-player, assuming I paid my internet bill (and my subscription fee if I'm a Xbox Live gamer), I absolutely have the RIGHT to play online. Period.......or should I say; Gamer Over.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Larry L because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

Well if you feel that YOU are being "wronged".. Perhaps you should take it up with a consumer rights law firm..

I will provide a link with a list of attorneys that specialize in this field, I'm sure you can find one within reason.. Link

Edit to add: Be sure to tell them that the internet service is free.. And also, Save your self some time and go over the terms and condition's of the product..I'm sure they clearly state that "they can not guarantee internet access will be available at all times"..
edit on 4-4-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

Originally posted by Larry L

Originally posted by MzMorbid
People are so funny. All for sticking it to the man until it effects their own comfort zone.

This has nothing to do with sticking it to the man. This has to do with doing what's right, which Annonymous usually does. In this case, they're not. Annonymous specifically stated that Sony going after GeoHotz is an attack on free speech. It's not. It's an attack on piracy. Regardless of how big the corporation is, a victim is a victim, and Sony is the victim in the case of the GeoHotz case. Annonymous is just launching further attacks on the victim here.

And to add, Annonymous has publicly stated their dislike for GeoHotz in the past as they've butted heads on more than on occasion. Why they're suddenly sticking up for GeoHotz now, when what he did was wrong in the eyes of every gamer I know....is beyond me.

Really now? Every single gamer you know is 100% against pirated games? Sounds like a small percentage of Purists. Pretty much every gamer I know wants a safe, risk free way to mod or crack games to play for free. The price we are forced to pay for mediocre games and gameplay is ridiculous. I've gone back to my SNES emulator to play some of the classic games because with Final Fantasy III I know I have 70 hours of solid game play at the very least.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

No, you're right. I should have said every gamer I know personally thinks stealing games (piracy) is wrong. Obviously plenty of gamers don't feel it's wrong since such a huge population partakes in game piracy. And about emulation, even though I'm against piracy, I'm for hardware emulation....BUT....only when it's hardware and software that's no longer availible to purchase from retailers, and the companies, publishers and developers no longer get their fair share of the profits from their hard work. But I'm completely against pirating software that's still on the retail market, because that's directly taking money out of people's pockets.

Oh, and on that other point.....you aren't forced to pay a high price for mediocre games. No one is forcing you to buy a game you think is mediocre. Don't buy it. Games that don't sell go down in price very quickly, at which point you can buy those mediocre games at a bargain bin price, even at retail, and you're not stealing. Impatience isn't a good excuse for stealing.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

i'm sure its worded into the EULA that servers will be inaccessible from time to time without warning and theres nothing you can do.

off topic: i went into a complete rage over WoW last week and sent over 1500 e-mails from 7 addresses to wowaccountadmin after they banned me 72 hours for a guild name i had for 4 years. really wish anon would go after blizzard some time, now that would bring about some serious nerd rage.
edit on 4-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
reply to post by Larry L

Well if you feel that YOU are being "wronged".. Perhaps you should take it up with a consumer rights law firm..

I will provide a link with a list of attorneys that specialize in this field, I'm sure you can find one within reason.. Link

HA!!!......how do you a sue Legion? 8O
The only option is to appeal to their (Annonymous') sensabilities.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

i do not mind to be honest, yes it means i do not have the choice to do something i may feel like doing, that choice has been took away from me against my will, but i can go without.

all i want to know if anybody knows is what exactly does this attack entail? are my personnal details/payment details safe?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i still have no idea what really caused the PSN network to be down but I know for sure that we are currently attacking their websites not the playstation network itself

Congratulations! You are now receiving the attention of Anonymous. Your recent legal actions against fellow internet citizens, GeoHot and Graf_Chokolo have been deemed an unforgivable offense against free speech and internet freedom, primary sources of free lulz (and you know how we feel about lulz.)

The Best Website in the world

that was a PR from anonymous released hours before the attacks on website happened...

according to a news article the PlayStation Network is down for unplanned maintenance.

source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/638f166c3ce8.jpg[/atsimg]

there are currently 76 people in the hive and about 545 people on the IRC channel #opsony

we have been getting trolls blaming Anonymous for the downtime of PSN, what we say to them is lrn2google
same thing goes for you OP

edit on 4-4-2011 by MarkofCain because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2011 by MarkofCain because: fail linking

edit on 4-4-2011 by MarkofCain because: bbc code leaked...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkofCain

thanks for the info

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I appreciate the response. I'm happy to see at least someone from the collective at least heard my plea. About PSN going down though......I absolutely did look for official server maintenence notifications, and didn't find any for today. And Sony always makes it a point to inform us on the PSBlog when scheduled maintenence is going to happen, approximately. And since PSN going down coincided perfectly with Annonymous' threats......well.....as George Noorey says so often "I don't believe in coincidence.".

But I would just like to say directly to Legion that I really think you're backing the wrong horse here. This isn't akin to GeoHotz "jailbreaking" the iPhone to enable homebrew, which I'm a fan of by the way. Homebrew is great. What GeoHotz did with PS3 ONLY enables piracy. Homebrew is 100% useless on a dedicated gaming console, it's not like PC or a smartphone. Even with Sony's proprietary sourcecode, homebrewers have no access to the GPU, and PS3 has EXTREMELY limited RAM to make up for that. All George Hotz did was enable people to steal PS3 games under the guise of "enabling homebrew". This is not a free speech nor internet freedoms issue, it's ONLY about piracy. You'll notice some 8 months after he cracked PS3, still not a single piece of homebrew has come out for PS3......yet torrents for MANY PS3 games have been availible since day 1. Hotz and his supporters are just using Annonymous' resources here. PLEASE, don't support GeoHotz, he's the bad guy here, not Sony.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Larry L because: just to add

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
sony not just going after the hacker they going after anyone that watched the youtube video too. they want a list of ips. soz in my eyes sony have crossed the line. Not aware of the attack you are refeering to, but if you have been affected I hope things get sorted soon.

have a gander at this thread for #opsony

www.abovetopsecret.com...

kind regardz
kx

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22e452f03958.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 4-4-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-4-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L

Homebrew is 100% useless on a dedicated gaming console, it's not like PC or a smartphone.

what do you mean by this? what about emulators and other useful homebrews?

You'll notice some 8 months after he cracked PS3, still not a single piece of homebrew has come out for PS3......yet torrents for MANY PS3 games have been availible since day 1.

ps3homebrew.org...

if you're wondering why we're attacking sony read this
Click Me!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

When you buy a console, that is all you are buying, because the system is useable without internet access. There are many gamers who never log on or utilize their online capabilties and find their systems perfectly fulfilling. Coupled with the fact that Sony provides a free service... you literally get what you pay for. A free service that is offered as a courtesy or bonus, not an obligation.

You see pirating as 100% evil, I see it as a legitimate form of protest/competition. If businesses and companies continuously want to charge outrageous amounts for their products people are going to find a way to circumvent those costs.

As for Anonymous defending someone they have publicly critized in the past... you'd find this very similar to the recent attacks against Westboro Baptist Church. Anonymous didn't start the attack, WBC did, and Anonymous even released a public statement saying that although they were against the message of WBC they still respected their right to free speech. It is when WBC kept pushing and pointing fingers at Anon trying to get them into a litigious situation did they finally attack back.

Anonymous FTW

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That comment about homebrew caught my eye too.

[Quote]GeoHotz had no god given right to do what he did. He didn't release Sony's proprietary code to enable Homebrew because Homebrew is POINTLESS on a dedicated gaming console

Do you know where Sony has gotten most of their ideas for features on both the PSP and the PS3? Yeah, a huge number of them came from homebrew. Sony is very unoriginal these days and prefers to take homebrew dev's ideas and then turn around and go after them.

Take a look at the PSP for a moment. Internet radio? Homebrew did it first, then Sony took the idea to make their own version. PS1 emulator? Homebrew did it first, then Sony took the idea to make their own version. Custom backgrounds? Homebrew did it first, then Sony took the idea to make their own version. The list goes on and on and could just as easily be made for the PS3, I'm just much more familiar with the PSP's update timeline of the top of my head.

Point is, without that "useless" homebrew, you wouldn't have half the "features" you can use on your PS3.

Oh, and it's hardly your right to have access to PSN. More like a privilege, which you are by no means guaranteed.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
and to clear it up to you OP we did not intend to attack the customers, it has been discussed many times before that we won't attack the PSN as it is too big and the cons would outweigh pros if we ever did this.

contrary to popular belief the anons use their brains too (sometimes if needed)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

I have to agree with you that anonymous is a pain for tying up the network. If anything they should try to tie up something that gets sony money. Stop PS3, games, and other hardware from shipping. Virus up all their in office computers, etc. But hindering the gamers... actually thinking about it might work just cause if gamers cant play online then they wont buy games for the sake of playing online. Plus sony loses money for the things not being purchased on PSN. So nevermind.

However I do have to pop you upside the head for your comment on geohot. He did not crack the PS3 to allow pirating. He did it to open it up to homebrew software, linux systems, etc. HOMEBREW! meaning the stuff people make at home. Some people will pirate but the main portion of the community develop their own games, software, etc. at their home and pass it out for free. Simply to get the appreciation most of the time. It's just like running a linux system on a windows computer. Should not be illegal. yet these big companies(sony) are trying every possible way to make the small independant developers into "Hackers" and "Pirates" doing illegal stuff. When they are just trying to make things the way they want them to be made.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
While I agree with most of the posts here, I must admit GeoHot did breach copyright laws knowing damn well what could happen if sony decided to go after him.
Just like anyone else breaking the law and getting caught, he must now face the music.

With that being said I'll also say, the world would be much less fun if it weren't for hackers unlocking the full potential of our gadgets.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

Seriously, Put up with the slight inconvenience because Anon is defending Americans from an UN-justified attack by Sony on Americans rights. Sony has no right to tell anyone what they can do with a product the consumer purchased, EVER!!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by gougitousakusha

You say this even though many of the games available on PC are also available on console. The bridge between the two is rapidly shortening. With my Wii that allows me to access the internet, my 360 that has online play, and access Netflix AND has a hard drive as big as some computers, game systems are becoming PCs in their own right.
I play both PC AND console.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Why give TPTB what they want? They want ignorant people who only want to be entertained, and not read up on real issues... to them, Ignorance is Strength(read 1984 instead of playing PS3).

They dont want people who are capable of critical thinking... so why not fight back by becomming informed, instead of entertained.

EDIT- I used to be a huge gamer myself for over 10 years until I started to wake up, now I cant even stand to waste time playing video games, had over 400 days played on WoW(those are 400, 24 hour days worth of time). So I do know where your coming from about the love for games... but try to break that cycle
edit on 5-4-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kylioneXsushi

wii graphics are a joke stuck at 480p, my 2 ati HD 6950s would eat 2 xboxes and 4 PS3s alive. the best controller ever made is definitely keyboard and mouse. and console HDD size you say is getting big, but i have 4.5 TB in my gaming rig(xbox being limited to 320GB), with a 260GB SSD for games. consoles are not computers, just dumbed down versions made to red ring of death after a year so you have to buy another instead of replacing a single part like pc gamers would.

i went through original 2 xboxes and 1 xbox 360 and i wont touch my wii. however with my PC im able to learn other languages, keep up with the news, and brag about gaming at 120+fps at max settings.
edit on 5-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join