It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annonymous attacking my rights as a gamer.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I had no idea where to put this. It's my first thread, and it has nothing to do with any kind of conspiracy aside from Annonymous conspiring against Sony. So I just put it in SkunkWorks. If there's a more appropriate place a mod is free to move it. Anyway.......

I've always supported Annonymous. They've used their power for alot of worthy causes. I especially loved their attack on Westborough Baptist Church. But what they're doing right now against Sony Computer Entertainment makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever, and is completely infringing upon my rights to do what I like with my free time, which is to play video games.

For some reason Annonymous has taken up a crusade against Sony Computer Entertainment. They are attacking Sony's website, and right now they're attacking the actual PlayStation Network (the network upon which games are played online). No gamers are able to log in to the PSN with their PS3, PSPs or onto any network tied websites. They're only doing this because Sony DARED to protect itself from, and go after in a court of law, piracy on it's platforms. Sony never would have gone after the hacker known as GeoHotz if he didn't publically release Sony's proprietary source code, enabling pirates to play pirated software on PS3. Why does Annonymous feel Sony doesn't have a right to curb piracy? It's not like we're talking about homebrew here.

If Annonymous reads this.....please......cease your attack on Sony to the point where it's taking away millions of gamer's rights to play their games online. You say you're attacking Sony because Sony going after GeoHotz is an attack on free speech........it isn't, it's an attack on piracy. GeoHotz had no god given right to do what he did. He didn't release Sony's proprietary code to enable Homebrew because Homebrew is POINTLESS on a dedicated gaming console....it was ONLY to enable piracy.
Don't use your powers to protect some pompous kid who did nothing but enable theives to steal directly from Sony's pockets. You should be using your powers and resources for worthy causes that matter, like you have in the past...... not to protect criminal behaviour. Especially at the expense of millions of innocent gamers, it's just not right. Annonymous is about protecting people's rights, not infringing upon them. Sony are people too, and they have every right to protect themselves against piracy. Alot of money and effort goes into games and their network. They have the right to defend it/them.

I looked around for a way to contact Annonymous directly....like a website or something, but couldn't find one. So I'm making this plea to them through this website. If anyone here has a way to forward this to Annonymous, please do so. And if any mod could move this to a more appropriate sub-forum where it has a better chance of being seen by Annonymous, please do so. Myself and millions of other gamers around the world would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Just get an Xbox

You get what you pay for in Xbox Live

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
lol sony, PC gamers are the only ones that can call themselves gamers.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

you do not have to pay to play online with PS3 so i am getting more than what i pay for , regardless this situation is a win win for microsoft, funnily enough.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Jump on the Microsoft bandwagon already..

Edit to add: Go complain on 4chan.org or one of the other image boards.. You will have more luck contacting a anonymous member there..
edit on 4-4-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
People are so funny. All for sticking it to the man until it effects their own comfort zone.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Just get an Xbox

I used to have a 360. I pre-ordered and got it at launch, because I couldn't wait to play Oblivion and GRAW2. But it broke 3 times on me, so when I got it back from repair the 3rd time back in September 2007, I just traded it in and cut my losses. And I was a Live Gold member as well. My $50 a year for 2 years got me online play, I get the same thing on PS3 for free. There's no real difference in the services for what I use(d) them for, which is online gaming. I'll never go back to paying a subscription fee just for the right to play my games online. Thanks for the advice though

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Exactly my point, as the 50 bucks I spend a year to play Live is well worth it because it is heavily policed and moderated. And the service and interface themselves blow PSN out of the water.

Sony is fine, has great games. I'm not a fanboy pissing in the wind. I truly feel Live is superior.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Just get an Xbox

I used to have a 360. I pre-ordered and got it at launch, because I couldn't wait to play Oblivion and GRAW2. But it broke 3 times on me, so when I got it back from repair the 3rd time back in September 2007, I just traded it in and cut my losses. And I was a Live Gold member as well. My $50 a year for 2 years got me online play, I get the same thing on PS3 for free. There's no real difference in the services for what I use(d) them for, which is online gaming. I'll never go back to paying a subscription fee just for the right to play my games online. Thanks for the advice though

Get use to the idea of paying to play.. I heard somewhere that Sony is expanding on the playstation plus subscription..

Expanding most likely meaning making it "necessary" to subscribe to play certain games.. They have already been experimenting with the idea.. DCUO was just testing the water.. Give it another year, watch what happens..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
People are so funny. All for sticking it to the man until it effects their own comfort zone.

This has nothing to do with sticking it to the man. This has to do with doing what's right, which Annonymous usually does. In this case, they're not. Annonymous specifically stated that Sony going after GeoHotz is an attack on free speech. It's not. It's an attack on piracy. Regardless of how big the corporation is, a victim is a victim, and Sony is the victim in the case of the GeoHotz case. Annonymous is just launching further attacks on the victim here.

And to add, Annonymous has publicly stated their dislike for GeoHotz in the past as they've butted heads on more than on occasion. Why they're suddenly sticking up for GeoHotz now, when what he did was wrong in the eyes of every gamer I know....is beyond me.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Ha ha ha yeah I think we just found the key to revolution. Cut off all the mindless supporters of Anon gaming and there will be blood in the streets...

edit on 4-4-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

You should fight for your right to completely waste your life and be zombified by a big corporation imo.

Tip: get a video camera and record yourself for a few hours playng with your toy, maybe the zombies aren't just on the screen.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Sony is evil and must die... says this owner of a hacked PS3...

I fully expected Sony to ban consoles and users. That why I only have games worth playing offline.

Going after the IP addresses takes it too far in my opinon as does installing a root kit on your system.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Larry L

GeoHotz is more of an Pro than just some punk kid.
If a Martial Arts expert teaches people how to defend themselves but you learn that fighting skill to harm others should the Teacher be charged for your crimes?
Sony is just trying to prove something and create fear amongst hackers and pirates not to mess with them by attacking this young fellow.

If Sony truly wanted to stop Pirates they would catch the people that actually make copies and clones of the original games, because without the game no play; and not blame it on a kid who can crack their stupid code

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Pay to play games won't work on consoles where you will have to pay for the service itself.
I recently played Homefront, a garbage CoD ripoff with a neat setting. You can play for free, but to gain xp past level 5, unlock weapons, perks etc., you had to pay for a 'multiplayer pass'. It's been largely boycotted by those against this very scenario.
Or the boost packs in NHL games where you can pay to increase your team's attributes, leaving those who play online without the boost pack at an immediate disadvantage.
I will never play a game which requires a subscription, especially as I pay for the Live service itself.
edit on 4-4-2011 by StripedBandit because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Thanks for the reply, but you're wrong about that. Sony has publicly stated that they'll never charge gamers for the right to play online (aside from MMOs that require server maintinence of course). Expanding on PSPlus is just reference to adding more features for people who decide to opt for Plus. For example just a few weeks ago they added cloud based save storage for Plus members.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

I think you Guys misunderstood me, when I said "pay to play".. I was referring to Sony turning there playstation plus package, into the mandatory way to play online.. Simmilar to xbox live.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larry L

This has nothing to do with sticking it to the man. This has to do with doing what's right, which Annonymous usually does. In this case, they're not. Annonymous specifically stated that Sony going after GeoHotz is an attack on free speech. It's not. It's an attack on piracy. Regardless of how big the corporation is, a victim is a victim, and Sony is the victim in the case of the GeoHotz case. Annonymous is just launching further attacks on the victim here.

And to add, Annonymous has publicly stated their dislike for GeoHotz in the past as they've butted heads on more than on occasion. Why they're suddenly sticking up for GeoHotz now, when what he did was wrong in the eyes of every gamer I know....is beyond me.

Really now? Every single gamer you know is 100% against pirated games? Sounds like a small percentage of Purists. Pretty much every gamer I know wants a safe, risk free way to mod or crack games to play for free. The price we are forced to pay for mediocre games and gameplay is ridiculous. I've gone back to my SNES emulator to play some of the classic games because with Final Fantasy III I know I have 70 hours of solid game play at the very least.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They are executing meaningful protests over the interwebs & it's getting in the way of you playing a few video games? Wow dude, you sound like a spoiled 14 year old brat. Go throw your tantrum somewhere else & make your parents buy you a different game system!

FYI: Anonymous is Everyone & this load of crock should've been posted in Rants.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You have "rights" as a gamer? Really? Is that in the Constitution or something? Are gamers now a "protected class" who can sue for discrimination? Wow!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join