It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Reverses Course: No Civilian Trials for 9/11 Plotters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Attorney General Eric Holder: Congress 'Tied Our Hands'

In a sharp reversal of the Obama administration's policy on trying Sept. 11 suspects in U.S. courts, mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four co-conspirators will be tried in a military commission at Guantanamo Bay.

Attorney General Eric Holder today placed the blame squarely on Congress for creating conditions where the Department of Justice cannot try them in a federal court, saying their decision would gravely impact U.S. national security and counterterrorism efforts.

They "tied our hands in a away that could have serious ramifications," he said today. "In reality, I know this case in a way that members of Congress do not. Do I know better than them? Yes." (1)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2581636ff44c.jpg[/atsimg]

Well, I suppose we all saw this coming, but here it is. The timing is interesting. Announcement coincides with the Supreme Court also refusing to hear cases from detainees who are challenging their imprisonment. So, we have Obama Admin. flip flopping and the Supreme Court unwilling to get involved. I guess all is status-quo...

edit on 4-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This will be political fodder, Romney is already on top of it.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney called President Obama "inexperienced and naïve" in light of the administration's reversal on military trials for suspected terrorists.

“An inexperienced and naïve president has finally reversed himself on Guantanamo and terrorist trials; let’s hope he sees the light on his other flawed policies," Romney said in a statement. (1)

Let the games begin...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Years ago we knew they would not have a Civilian Court listening to these cases. If they did that then they might be possibly able to prove who the real murder's are. In a Military setting they can bury the facts, stifle the facts, lie about the facts and we won't be able to see the transcript.

When I seen Bush/Obama walking down the steps towards Bush's departure from the White House I knew right then that Bush's administration would be carried on. I knew right then I had voted for the wrong guy. Actually, there was no good candidate to vote for... Ron Paul was already out of the race. The only thing that bothers me about Ron Paul is that he will not admit who is responsible for 911 after he was shown all the proof. The only reason I can think is that we will be in more danger if we actually prove who murdered 3000Americans and over 1million Middle Easterners. However, if we don't bring those responsible to jail then we're just as guilty as them for not doing anything about it.

Anyways... I knew 9yrs ago they would never bring these people in front of a civilian court. They can't cover-up the truth if they do. Bush and Cheney and Obama and friends... The only reason why I sleep at night is because I believe in God.. you should to because after you pass from this life... he's not going to try you in a Military Court. That should scare the hell outta you!!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

He has gone back on his word on this issue just like many, many others. If these issues, just like the wall street bailouts doesn't make people see that everything is pretty much out of the voters control in this country, I don't know what would.
edit on 7-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
my question is there anything he hasnt flipped flopped on.

probably cleaning up any evidence left that he didnt kill osama bin laden.

the coward in chief has now become the warrior in chief and everyone can see through this charade but most choose not to.

i want that man voted out.
edit on 7-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
There was not much choice left. Congress did everything in its power to stop civilian trials of Guantanamo prisoners. From prohibiting the transfer of prisoners, in any circumstances, to the continental US, to blocking funding for civilian trials.

Obama, despite that, ultimately, would have most likely succumbed to political pressure and order the military trials anyway.

A sad and shameful chapter in our country’s history.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by aptness

The mass media did a lot of fear mongering to the towns that hold the federal prisons that these people where going to be in. If I am remembering correctly.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Obama is not the one pulling this as it is TPTB who do not want this as Obama clearly wants civilian trials for terrorists as that is what we are all about but the fact that someone was tortured or worse would guarantee them that they will walk.

Stop with this lie and blatant case of disinformation!

Hook, line, sinker, SUNK!

new topics

top topics

join