It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Blame Sir Alex Fergusson, Wayne Rooney and 'his mates' for all the TROUBLE in the UK today.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have turned 40 and so to many of you out there you will think that I am old and past it.......... to those of you who think that then just take a breath and think for a second or two before 'Tweeting' or plugging in another console game........................... When I was younger my late father used to complain that 'standards' were slippling and that people were just not acting responsibliy...... These were the 80's where Frankie Goes to Hollywood ruled and Duran Duran with their BIG hair acted as role models to the kids of that day.........
There were still films about the Second World War and heroes of that day, and the ZX Spectrum with Hungry Horace and Maziacs were the rage...... The film, Evil Dead was pushing boundaries BUT compared to todays offerings it was actually quite lame.......

My point thought is based on HOW I SEE THE WORLD today................... in UK society, it appears to me that there is MORE ACCEPTANCE of bad behaviour and EXCESSIVE swearing / profanity (call it what you will)......There is more agression and less respect of people in general which is actually VERY SAD.....

As the title says.....'' Blame Wayne Rooney and 'his mates' for all the TROUBLE today........''

I honestly think that as a society, the role models for todays Impressionable youngsters has become primarilary 'sports stars (premier league in the UK) and some pop stars WHOM seem to think that they are either ABOVE being responsible to society OR just HAVEN'T been taught how to behave......!

Am I wrong in this thinking ? Am I just Too old and am missing something or do MOST of you out there LONG for the day when there is more respect and LESS anti social behaviour as demonstrated by our ''so called role models of today''???

Should we have ZERO tolerance on the football field, where swearing of any sort is punished by a RED card and a ban.............. will that be a START to a better society ???

Regards

PDUK
edit on 4-4-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: Added Sir Alex Fergusson as a PROBLEM as well

edit on 4-4-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Funny, me and my dad have been talking about his at work today.

Totally Agree.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Happy birthday PDUK,and yes it just means you are old when you complain about what the 'Kids' are doing and listening to .I turned 40 a few weeks ago and i feel your pain

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I am just a little bit older than you so I know where you are coming from. Yes you are starting to show the traits of your parents ....... just getting older, it's natural. You know the old Monty Python thing ....... We were so poor we lived in shoe box in the middle of the road ..... etc etc. Just remember you are only as old as "the person you are feeling"

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Should we have ZERO tolerance on the football field, where swearing of any sort is punished by a RED card and a ban.............. will that be a START to a better society ???

They tried that with taking dodge ball away...the playground is still a battlefield.

Roon scored a treble and got carried away...no big deal. Do you want the prem to turn in to the NFL (No Fun League)..?

Let 'em swear on the pitch...the only ones negatively affected are the mindless.

edit on 4-4-2011 by facelift because: grammar issues - what else..?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

S&F mate good post. You are bang on that the general feeling on the streets these days is an aggressive and hostile one.

Rooney and co are donuts, again you are right role models, if you will call them that, these days promote this sort of behaviour as do films computer games and music.

I was a victim of it, I remember just before i finished my school days back in 2006 when the film 'Kidulthood' came out. After watching it me and my friends decided to carry knives because we thought it was cool. You were nothing back then unless you bashed anyone up for 'dissing you'. Its the whole culture of wanting to be cool and 'hard' like the characters on the screen. And the girls used to love it because they were hooked on the 'coolness'.

Thankfully most of us grew out of that stage (although i still like a rumble on a sat night ;-) ). Many kids these days are just going throught that stage. I guess its because back when you were coming up there were different trends and stuff was more toned down on the box.

I personally think it is the government and indirectly the police. Labour ballsed the country up, and the police give you nothing for your crimes these days. Punishments are too soft....

Unless Cameron delivers his promises i don't think it will change anytime soon?
edit on 4-4-2011 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Excellent. I just turned 39 a coupla weeks ago -- but forever retarded and held back to some of my earliest thoughts on life. Nothing terribly exciting has occurred, unless you count that broad that I asked to marry me... I still respect my elders, I try (unsuccessfully) to deflect blame and smoke cabbage like I did when I was 20.

I'm responsible for all I do and there is little love for guys our age except from those we keep close. That is very different than the way it used to be back when interesting folks would walk into my life and instantly become a valued asset/friend/lover.

I'm still open to those people but of course within limits... I cherish every beautiful day. I get on the roller coaster to go up and down every now n again, but I'm more stable as it should be...

And of course, my journals are farrrr less interesting, but at least I still keep it going. Funny that kids still talk to me, but the SIR or MISTER stuff is a steady reminder of where we're at!

Good post!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I watched a doc recently the Hopi Elders Speak, or something similar. Of the whole film the statement that resonated with me most was this:

People today are concerned with their Human Rights, and entitlements. But have no concern for the responsibilities that come with them.

Sums up our society nicely. Diverting blame from oneself on to others.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I don't think role models are primarily responsible, I blame a lack of parenting skills, lack of discipline, mis-management of the country as a whole and a whole host of events that led this country down the pan.
I do feel you have a point but I feel you are pinning all the blame on one aspect but it takes a whole village to raise an idiot.

You do sound a little fuddy duddy for 40 to be honest, I am 32 and I know many people over 40 who don't sound like a cliche walking stick waver, maybe you have been influenced by your TV stars, Alf Garnett, Victor Meldrew, Grumpy old men and a circle of friends in a pub in the middle of a Yorkshire village who are all in their 60's wearing tweed and talking about how rap music destroys young minds.
At 40 and being a fellow Brit you should know a little about the history of music, film, television and computer games and how each era brings a new blame game.
"Grrrrr them sex pistols, grrrr them horror movies, grrrr that spitting image, grrrr that Dennis the Menace, grrrr that rave music, grrrr etc"

Don't you remember Vinnie Jones, how about Cantona, maybe we should go back to Maradona, Paul Gascoigne, I aren't a footy fan but pretty sure I've heard stories of the Charltons being edgy, a friend of mine told me of a Leeds United player in the 60's that used to play aggressively and party the nights away in and out the news.

If anything I think Rooney is indeed a bottom hole but then what do people expect from overpaid drug addicts who kick a ball about a pitch and the only way to keep a name for yourself thus keeping value high is to keep in the news, after all there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Before I point my finger at him for the state of society I point it at the government first, the blind leading the stupid to the dog house.

Now to put my grandad cap on, Conscription, it will give discipline, keep teens off the streets and the immigrants wouldn't be so keen to come sponge if they realised to live and sponge from this country your heart has to be loyal to it, and fix the whole nanny nonsense, political correctness and constant pampering of anybody that is different only keeps segregation alive and well and make teens realise that a baby is for life not just a council flat and a benefits boost, no drugs, natural births (unless of course there is a serious need for it) and make their lives miserable, far too many single mothers with 8 kids by different fathers smoking a joint and drinking away the child benefits while their kids are eating nothing but chicken nuggets and frozen chips.
I could go on forever really, its easy but it certainly isn't one single aspect that keeps this country in the toilet.
edit on 4-4-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am 24 years old, and there was this sort of behaviour when i was a teenager and i decided i did not want to be a part of it, sure i drank on a park with my white lightning but i was never anti social and had respect for elders as i was taught by my parents.

Th buck stops with the parents if you ask me. Parents need to control thier kids a lot more but unfortunately half of them are the same if not orse than thier kids and dont really give a crap.

Contrary to what people believe these kids have a choice and they choose to act this way because they can get away with it and find it fun. It is now accepted as cool to be an anti social little ****. A lot of the people i know who used to act like this have grown out of it as they got older but then a lot of them have not and are still doing the exact same thing.

End of the day these Kids have thier own mind and can choose who they decide to hang around with just as i did. It is the parents fault if they have not impressed any morals upon thier children and let them believe that what they are doing is cool and maybe because of this these children do not have the self confidence to remove themselves from the crowds and be individuals.

I know not all bad kids have bad parents but i think a majority do and have broken homes. I was lucky enough to have both my parents still together and most of my friends (who were not yobs) did too. So i think that has a lot to do with it aswell.

End of the day i see these sorts of people everyday and i find most of them are decent people when they are on thier own but when they congregate in flocks it seems the hive mind takes over and they lose all sense of right and wrong and individuality.

Of course society, TV, role models and movies etc all play a part in the affair but i think its mostly down to parents.

MooseVernel

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Predator90

Predator90

Great minds think alike !!!

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Happy birthday PDUK,and yes it just means you are old when you complain about what the 'Kids' are doing and listening to .I turned 40 a few weeks ago and i feel your pain

12Voltz

Thanks for the Birthday wishes........where's my card !!!! (actually it's in May and i am a couple of years past 40).... I should have said in my early 40's ,....... oh well distant memory......... Don't worry , I 'll probably develop Alzhiemers and have no idea soon !!!!

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
People need to stop holding up footballers as some sort of role model. They are just young lads, normally a bit thick who have had money thrown at them, what do you really expect?. They live in their own little worlds and have never been further removed from the fans who pay to see them. Parents need to be their kids role models, thats the idea of being a responsible parent.

I blame bad parenting for most of the troubles today.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

I am just a little bit older than you so I know where you are coming from. Yes you are starting to show the traits of your parents ....... just getting older, it's natural. You know the old Monty Python thing ....... We were so poor we lived in shoe box in the middle of the road ..... etc etc. Just remember you are only as old as "the person you are feeling"

All right ... all right ... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order ... what have the Romans ever done for us?

I feel about 21 and act about the same......... I just do not want to conform to a normal 40 year old ....if you know what I mean...

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Happy birthday purpledog, i was 43 a couple of weeks ago. I do believe it is a lot to do with parenting, and these role models, the Rooneys, the Coles, the Prices, well maybe theyve always been around, but we just know more about them with twitter/facebook bla bla bla, Wasnt George Best a hellraiser in his time? and as for Duran Duran (who were my favourite group in my early teens) i saw them on tv the other night, and they admitted that in theyre heyday their coking up and groupie-based pursuits were outrageous.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

They tried that with taking dodge ball away...the playground is still a battlefield.

Roon scored a treble and got carried away...no big deal. Do you want the prem to turn in to the NFL (No Fun League)..?

Let 'em swear on the pitch...the only ones negatively affected our the mindless.

I hear what you say but the 'mindless' can also be called the impressionable too......

Kids, aged 5 to 11 years old, maybe slightly older will see, hear and absorb the fact that the 'grown ups' can do it and so it is acceptable.......... This acceptance that it is part of sport is Fecking (ha ha) not on....... You do not have to swear or lose your cool............... re- martial Arts, a one on one combat situation where you are aiming to knock the S*it out of your opponent and then shake hands at the end, similar to Boxing......
In Rugby, ONLY the Captain of the team speaks to the Referee and the other players must 'walk away' or they are penalised INSTANTLY........

Why do we make excuses for over paid footballers with poor standards..........

I JUST DONT GET IT !!

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

Nice to get the views of the younger generation...... I think that we all know what is right and wrong BUT sometimes we make excuses for ourselves as oppossed to take responsibility for ourselves.......

I am in Bournemouth for a stag do on 6th and 7th of May.......... any ideas of where to go would be useful....... I am not organising it this time, just attending............ average age is early / mid 30's.

I always thought Bournemouth was full of the retired and coffin dodgers ??!!

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chetinglendalevillage

Life is definitley an experinence and I agree with you that, in life you meet many people BUT only a select FEW are actually worth knowing.......the older we get, the more 'selective' and perhaps guarded we become............ maybe thats because experience teaches us that ?

You seem to be happy and content and enjoying life.......... good on you...

cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I watched a doc recently the Hopi Elders Speak, or something similar. Of the whole film the statement that resonated with me most was this:

People today are concerned with their Human Rights, and entitlements. But have no concern for the responsibilities that come with them.

Sums up our society nicely. Diverting blame from oneself on to others.

BLR

After recent marches and protests et al, it strikes me that alot of people are quick to complain BUT slow to offer solutions or even try to understand the wider perspective......

Being responsible for one's self is actually a really important individual skill............ some can't because of circumstance but most people should be able to be BUT choose to blame everyone but themselves........... you are so correct on that !!!

I just have a real 'bee in my bonnet' about footballers because of the great rewards they get YET complete lack of responsibility they show (most not all) on a daily basis... Mr Rooney, aged 25 on £200 K per week swears at the TV camera, as he did last Saturday sets a REALLY PATHETIC example with no excuse........

Got I am really getting old.......... or maybe I just want better.... you know what I mean....!

Cheers

PDUK

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepithush
I don't think role models are primarily responsible, I blame a lack of parenting skills, lack of discipline, mis-management of the country as a whole and a whole host of events that led this country down the pan.
I do feel you have a point but I feel you are pinning all the blame on one aspect but it takes a whole village to raise an idiot.

You do sound a little fuddy duddy for 40 to be honest, I am 32 and I know many people over 40 who don't sound like a cliche walking stick waver, maybe you have been influenced by your TV stars, Alf Garnett, Victor Meldrew, Grumpy old men and a circle of friends in a pub in the middle of a Yorkshire village who are all in their 60's wearing tweed and talking about how rap music destroys young minds.
At 40 and being a fellow Brit you should know a little about the history of music, film, television and computer games and how each era brings a new blame game.
"Grrrrr them sex pistols, grrrr them horror movies, grrrr that spitting image, grrrr that Dennis the Menace, grrrr that rave music, grrrr etc"

Don't you remember Vinnie Jones, how about Cantona, maybe we should go back to Maradona, Paul Gascoigne, I aren't a footy fan but pretty sure I've heard stories of the Charltons being edgy, a friend of mine told me of a Leeds United player in the 60's that used to play aggressively and party the nights away in and out the news.

If anything I think Rooney is indeed a bottom hole but then what do people expect from overpaid drug addicts who kick a ball about a pitch and the only way to keep a name for yourself thus keeping value high is to keep in the news, after all there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Before I point my finger at him for the state of society I point it at the government first, the blind leading the stupid to the dog house.

Now to put my grandad cap on, Conscription, it will give discipline, keep teens off the streets and the immigrants wouldn't be so keen to come sponge if they realised to live and sponge from this country your heart has to be loyal to it, and fix the whole nanny nonsense, political correctness and constant pampering of anybody that is different only keeps segregation alive and well and make teens realise that a baby is for life not just a council flat and a benefits boost, no drugs, natural births (unless of course there is a serious need for it) and make their lives miserable, far too many single mothers with 8 kids by different fathers smoking a joint and drinking away the child benefits while their kids are eating nothing but chicken nuggets and frozen chips.
I could go on forever really, its easy but it certainly isn't one single aspect that keeps this country in the toilet.
edit on 4-4-2011 by keepithush because: (no reason given)

You raise alot of good points here actually......... and parenting is definitly a Pivotal one........ we learn the most from those around us.
With that in mind though, the amount of media and TV that is absorbed by most is vastly more than in the 70 & 80's and surely the continual broadcast of poor behaviour or swearing must over time 'de-sensitize' those who are watching this ever growing diet of 'trash'.............. The next latest hearalded innovation is TV on your smart phone, so you can digest even more drivel at times when you previously couldn't ??

You make me smile, suggesting I'm an old 40 something going on 60........... I think and act as if i am still in my 20's BUT having seen more of life than most youngsters I find myself in a position of being able to use that experience when making judgements.............. I just feel we, as a society are on an ever decreaseing circle of de-sensitization and acceptance of poor standards and excessive expletives........

I think we should act and try to arrest it, may seem weird and old fashioned to some BUT if we don't then what society do we end up with ??

Cheers

PDUK

top topics

<<   2 >>

join