It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion: How to detect, prevent and/or remove radiation from food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'd like to get a discussion going about what possible ways there are for us to detect, prevent and/or remove the radiation that is being spread throughout the food chain.

I would really like to keep this thread on topic and not degrade into who is right or wrong, but just present the ideas and let other users arrive to their own informed conclusions.

Detection
The basic detection for the cost is a Geiger counter. You can find them from around $100 up. I'm not versed in the equipment that would be best suited to do this, but what would be nice would be to impose this on all grocery chains through some sort of petition. What other methods of detection could be done in a cost-effective way?

Prevention
This is a tough one for me... short of having a lead roof on a greenhouse, I'm not sure how you could prevent the radiation from getting into plants, which would pass along to the animals. The only thing I can think of is through detection, you could apply prevention methods. Not allowing foods to pass out of countries through customs that have a certain threshold of radiation could perhaps help. Growing your own food would also help quite a bit unless you are in an area that has a higher exposure to radiation. What else?

Removal
I have no clue on this one.... if high levels of radiation in certain foods can not be avoided (essential foods), what could be done to remove the radiation? Do we just let a whole bunch of food go to waste because it is radiated? It can't really be used for much else, so what could be done here?

I'd like to get feedback from other members to see what ideas they have... and I'm really intending this thread to get some answers to questions that I, and I'm sure many others, have about how this is going to effect their day to day lives, which eating is a major component of.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Remove : Just rinse it with a little Fukashima salt water

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good thread.... funny there were a bunch of us about a year and a half ago, that predicted this, we all had planned to put tape on our windows etc... I had a bunch of food growing indoors etc, I was SOOOOO prepared for this, then life took me in a different direction, so all I can say is, prevention/protection... gonna try the food growing again, but can't do it indors, some stupid neighbour threw all my planters away...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Re: prevention in home-grown food:

There's a great paper on how they tried preventing the uptake of cesium and strontium into the produce in the areas surrounding Chernobyl. They found that it was really effective to add plenty of potassium and calcium to the soil, as it made the plants less likely to uptake the radionuclides that are processed like these nutrients.

I would postulate that testing your soil for nutrients (they sell cheap kits at Lowe's and whatnot) and making sure they are added to your soil in sufficient amounts would be good across the board. Don't add too much, though, or you'll burn your plants and end up having to buy from the grocery store anyway.

ETA: there is also a big role played by the stuff your soil is made of; if it's high in clay, the radionuclides will be absorbed into the soil slower, and therefore released in smaller amounts but for a longer time. Less clay in the soil lets the radioactive stuff sink deeper into the soil, beyond your plants' roots, but it does the same thing for your nutrients. It's a fine balance.
edit on 4-4-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

That is EXCELLENT advice, thank you for that... I will be doing some more research on it because I have a garden full of organic foods and know exactly what kind of calcium and potash I would use.

Much appreciated for the input.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Totally, it was a small but bright light in the darkness for me to read that paper. There is SOME way, at least, of having fresh produce this year and the next with much less worry. Wash it all really well before you eat it, and boil it if it's proper, and that will reduce any surface stuff as well. Combine with a good regimen of apple pectin and some other supplements that help reduce your body's uptake of radioactive elements, and you're in much better shape than your neighbors, I promise you.
edit on 4-4-2011 by 00nunya00 because: nuclear emergencies don't mean spelling should be ignored

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Research is showing that growing hemp plants helps clear nuclear and other toxins from the soil.

www.cannabisculture.com...

It's a crime that this plant is banned.
edit on 4-4-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

It isn't where I live...

Very interesting... thank you for that link!

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I looked online for some geiger gounters, the places I looked were sold out.

Originally posted by 00nunya00
ETA: there is also a big role played by the stuff your soil is made of; if it's high in clay, the radionuclides will be absorbed into the soil slower, and therefore released in smaller amounts but for a longer time. Less clay in the soil lets the radioactive stuff sink deeper into the soil, beyond your plants' roots, but it does the same thing for your nutrients. It's a fine balance.
Some soil be naturally more radioactive.

Higher levels of radon may be associated with higher levels of uranium. You should have your house tested for radon and if the level is elevated the soil may also have radioactivity. Here's a map of Radon zones:

www.epa.gov...

You're far more likely to die from radon than from fallout from Japan, if your home has large amounts of radon gas. If the measurement is over 4 pCi/L, you can install a system that removes the radon gas so it won't kill you. I had to do that in one home I owned.

Do you know what your radon measurement is in your home? Is it more than or less than 4? If you don't know that, you better worry about that before you worry about all this other stuff in the OP, it's potentially a lot more dangerous.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
reply to post by wcitizen

It isn't where I live...

Very interesting... thank you for that link!

~Namaste

You are more than welcome. It's the kind of information we need to spread around.

new topics

top topics

join