It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French forces join assault in Ivory Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

French forces join assault in Ivory Coast

www.msnbc.msn.com

ABIDJAN — A United Nations helicopter fired at President Laurent Gbagbo's forces on Monday as France authorized its military forces to take out his heavy weapons, an unprecedented escalation in the international community's efforts at forcing the strongman from office.

The office of French President Nicolas Sarkozy said U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had requested France's military participation. Gbagbo lost presidential elections in November but refused to cede power even as his nation teetered on the brink of all-out civil war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well here's another one. Where did I hear that saying there will be wars and rumours of wars. I didn't even know this was in the works. I'm not saying it's wrong but I'm not saying it's right.So we have Iraq,Afgahnistan,Libya, and now the ivory coast. They just want to take out the heavy arms, seems I've heard that before.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Just keep us out of it. They are sticking their noses in and wasting too much of our money already.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

Don't worry if the French stay true to their nature they should be surrendering right about now....

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The french are getting a bit bullish aren't they? They are the ones that pushed for the Libyan war, and now Ivory Coast.

I'd say their tenor has changed in the last couple years.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
where did i read that the french are going to be at the head of the NWO
everyday it seems more and more like that

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

They do seem to have a bug up their butt lately.
What is all this leading to. If it's the U.N. then wouldn't all members be involved. Probably not because there was no vote on it , I'm guessing. I guess the President of the U.N. can call the shots , literally, by himself.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Someone had to say it!

Didn't Gaddafi sponsor Sarkozy's election bid last time around? Might still be speculation at this point, but makes sense to me.

2007 election bid apparently.

www.emnnews.com...

Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of Libyan leader Mahmoud Gaddafi sent tremors through the government of French leader, Nicolas Sarkozy accusing him of betraying the Libyan people after riding on their back to win French election with Libya money.

Probably old news here on ATS, everything moves pretty quick this side of the Danube!

edit on 4-4-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To add article.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Oh that's supposed to be funny... But you are good at never commending them for helping you back in the good ol' days.
Yea... You just carry on calling them chickens. This should end good. Especially for America. ESPECIALLY FOR AMERICA.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

In terms of the history of warfare, as in battles won, France is actually the highest rated nation on Earth (Information courtesy of Stephen Fry). But you can't coast on past glories!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

On the other hand, I believe that they also have the most white flag factories of any industrialized nation.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I'm saying that people have painted them as some kind of chicken when it comes to warfare. Yet I really wanna see a hand to hand fight between a US and french soldier. I really want to see it...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Oh that's supposed to be funny... But you are good at never commending them for helping you back in the good ol' days.
Yea... You just carry on calling them chickens. This should end good. Especially for America. ESPECIALLY FOR AMERICA.

The AMERICAN revolution happened way back in 1776. Since then we and our Allies have pulled their bacon out of the fire not once but twice. Once in WWI and then esp in WWII not to mention that mess they started over in French Indo-China cough cough Vietnam...cough

I'd say we Americans are allowed

edit on 4-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

I'm saying that people have painted them as some kind of chicken when it comes to warfare. Yet I really wanna see a hand to hand fight between a US and french soldier. I really want to see it...

You have to be kidding? You think one group of humans are going to fight better than another that are somewhat trained the same? Its man verse man, some will be tougher and some not no matter what place he is from.

We Americans just have better equipment and training, for the most part. The Legion is a tough group but every NATO nation has its special forces.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Yea, yea... Sure you are allowed. I just don't like it when people make fun of soldiers.
On a side note, what I'm trying to say is that your type of comments give a bad name to soldiers who just follow orders. They will do whatever they are ordered to do. So what I don't like (as proved by your comment) is they end up paying the price and getting labeled when it is usually the fault of the ones right at the top of the ladder doing stuff like resigning which then ends up affecting a war effort.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think if we are in Lybia we should be in Yemen and Syria as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerman24

Unfortunately, I would guess that those would be upcoming wars. If the U.N. is not already secretly involved.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It goes to show that not only does the Middle East suffer instability, but other places as well. Moreover, it is about time someone stood between the two warring political factions after the hotly contested election where the opposition leader Allassane Quattarra beat out former President Laurent Gbagbo.The French have been involved when hostilities began at the start of the civil war in 2002 and after it ended in 2003 when a unity government was formed between Present Laurent Gbagbo and rebel factions.

The UN has been on the ground observing the situation since 2003. There has been sporadic infighting since the formal end of hostilities, and culminating in the emergency taking place now. By some estimates as a result of the fighting about a half a million refugees have been forced from their homes and have caused a humanitarian crisis for neighbors of this country. Here is a run-down of the situation on the ground in Ivory Coast.

* 410 killed since disputed election
* 450,000 forced from their homes
* 9,000 UN peacekeepers to monitor 2003 ceasefire
* Election intended to reunite country
* World's largest cocoa producer
* Previously seen as haven of peace and prosperity in West Africa
* Alassane Ouattara recognised as president-elect
* International sanctions imposed to force Laurent Gbagbo to go

www.bbc.co.uk...

It is a mess on the ground in Ivory Coast, and it seems the situation is only escalating. If this election dispute is not resolved more will die, and the door is open for a massacre. The forces loyal to Laurent Gbagbo have been alleged to have fired mortar shells into the capital, Abidjan, just last month, and largely killing civilians.

Ivory Coast shelling in Abidjan 'a war crime' - UN

A statement from the UN mission in Ivory Coast says that about 100 people were killed or maimed by at least six 81mm mortar shells.

"Such an act, perpetrated against civilians, could constitute a crime against humanity," it says.

With the recent situation and UN involvement in Libya, the western powers are on the hot seat. If nothing is done akin to the response in North Africa, everyone involved in Libya will be called out as hypocrites by the usual opposition in China, Russia, and their lackeys in the international community. Personally, I think sides are being drawn, and a lot of it has to do with how the unrest in the Middle East is being handled.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayXBraun
where did i read that the french are going to be at the head of the NWO
everyday it seems more and more like that

That makes me want to go oui oui.

Or at least wee wee.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
reply to post by badgerman24

Unfortunately, I would guess that those would be upcoming wars. If the U.N. is not already secretly involved.

Sneakers on the ground?

Highly likely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join