It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival -- plan and prepare? or LOOT and BOOT?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
you know, I am young and do not have money to gather supplies however I've purchased what I need to give a good shot at surival. Flint and what not, fishing poles etc.

I might not be knowledable of the land but I know how to at least gather food and make somewhat of a shelter

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by David291

Your mindset is lightyears ahead of most, and because of that you will probably stand a fighting chance. Most people will not want to survive when their Iphone quits working and they cannot get any coffee from starbucks.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Both.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JerryB08
reply to post by wtf1is1happening

I don't think I'm the star of I am Legend. I'm the man they should have been thinking about when they wrote it. He dies. I won't. ; )

Sir: in my most respectful voice: I am fairly confident: you are wrong you will die. as will we all; the question is how much suffering and destruction or peace and comfort for others will precede your worthless carcas before the spark goes out. You may die in your boots firing your "deagle"( gamerspeak for "desert eagle" if i'm not mistaken) or "Pass- on" in your tacti-cool nylon vest from an infected splinter or while you are eyeing the bent over hot divorcee with the torn dress her 13year old son or daughter might cap you from behind a bush...
Only one thing is certain We are ALL going to die someday. you can choose to be the local terror(problem) until somebody badder comes along or you can help get the country liveable again for your ( somebodies) kids.and yes I believe morals count.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of people that use teotwawki as a time to do all the bad things they always wanted to do, but couldn't for fear of being jailed.

This is why your survival plans need to include guns for everyone in your fam, and a lot of ammo.

Playing violent 1st person shooter video games is good practice, especially the ones where you are connected to the internet, and you are fighting actual people.

America's Army is excellent because it is pretty realistic in that when you get shot, you either die, or become crippled depending on where you go shot.

I'm not saying it will make you a better shot, but it will make you think about how to react to an actual gun fight. You will learn quick that if a bad guy sees you, you have less than a second to kill him or you are dead.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

good morning

i was really surprised not one person mentioned the problems in Japan

the $^!$ hit the fan there--- in some places

and there are no looters-- i heard the was ONE guy who was a line jumper--(QUE jumper trans. for the UK)

all those dead bodies,, undoubtedly with rings and necklaces/wallets,,, and no problems

the challange of survival is success when you live... not by how much take or murder others..

IMHO

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Very good question/point.

In a SHTF scenario, your biggest threat will always be other people and not the actual disaster.

I would like to think I'd stick to simple scavenging of abandoned stores but I would not hold a family at gunpoint and take their food and water.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by darrman

Very good question/point.

In a SHTF scenario, your biggest threat will always be other people and not the actual disaster.

I would like to think I'd stick to simple scavenging of abandoned stores but I would not hold a family at gunpoint and take their food and water.

when the neighbor loads up the volvo and tries to get to grandmas house-- is not what im worried about-- go in see what is needed for the long haul for your own family-- sure survival tactic #2 scavenge-- \\

but to think Familys will arm and proudly walk down the streets with their wifes and kids in tow steeling and looting

is the wake up call for me--

how far will mothers go to feed their children?? to hell and back

how far will mothers go to protect their children?? they will shoot other mothers.just .trying to feed their children

this thread blew me away..

i hope we as a society will make it and NOT have to go all out---like MAD MAX

edit on 4/5/11 by darrman because: spellinglish

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

wish some Amish people had internet

lol

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
All looters will be dealt with accoardingly to those of us who are ready for a shtf scenario... I will however loot Wal-marts targets et cetera... I would certainly not loot a residance for the simple fact that im sure that im not the only one standing behind the door with a saw'd off ready to ivecerate the first person thru my locked door. Thats all i got .... I lied I've got some more.... Ok so one thing we are forgetting is the paddock effect... In other words "oh no! Wheres our sheppard?" yells one sheep. Another sheep answers. "he'll be back soon dont worry." 95 percent of us will have that mentality and will just sit around and wait for Sam to come back and fix stuff... Around 10 days later when Sam has yet to return is when one will see how low man will stoop. I'm hoping for that in all honesty .... Give me more time to do what I need to do and making sure me and my lil fam are all set at our BoP. Sadly nobodve any is ready ever... Someone like myself, I am more prepped then anuone I know. I have a cache of "life" so to say and i will be all set. I am in crisis management so I have an automatic upperhand to jump.. Cool heads prevail... Just dont think that you will never be in a bugout situation cuz its coming.
edit on 5-4-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: I like my soapbox

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
dont know what happend there besides a crap 3g connection...
edit on 5-4-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Frankly after reading through these replies I am beginning to rethink my stance that violent video do not cause people to act out on violence. Maybe they do?

My stance on helping community and your fellow man is not some lofty moral stance. I am a realist and really don't care for most people or even the face society has taken. I believe helping your fellow man and working as a group is the only real logical intelligent thing to do.

Not only will working to help everyone increase your chances of survival but also your sanity. In addition more skills than you and your family have will be required for survival. Does your family include an MD? a dentist? a contractor? a structural engineer? a biologist? an agricultural expert? and so on and so forth. The larger the community the better chance of having all the skills you need to not only survive but to thrive.

30 to 40 armed family members holding up on a few 100 acres is dangerous, lacking a complete skill set, and could easily be crippled to the point of uselessness if raided by even a small group of suicidal blood thirsty savages with nothing to lose.

No matter how tough you are engaging in combat is stupid unless you have absolutely no choice. Without proper hospitals even a small knife wound to the hand can kill if your body isn't used to fighting infection. (Thank you anti-biotics)

All that said I have plenty of experience and know how to fight with many different weapons and will defend as a last resort only when negotiations fail.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There is a lot of negativity surrounding this. from what ive read so far, people are expecting some kind of post apocalyptic world ? where guns and ammo are hiding in cars and in wooden boxes. lets be realistic here people. guns wont be ready available. well at least in England. If the SHtF then id like to think the military would pull there heads out of their leaders asses, wise up and help "civilians" create some kind of safe heaven community. im not saying this will be the case im just trying to project a happier look on this than the standard GUNS FACE DEATH negativity. i believe with enough people thinking the same thing the law of attraction will happen and all your dreams will come true. (id say god help us but i dont even think he is there, prob just some cool alien chilling out with a spliff right about now)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Just keep the nearest mall in your sites please. they do have everything from gear to firearms and elevation. STEAL no LOOT no SCAVANGE well you know......

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I would do all in my power to help someone if they needed it...my only issue is where I currently live theres a hel of a lot of trouble causes, I might just be being picky but they are the type of people I worry about in a SHTF situation. They would attack you now and think nothing of it ... I wonder how it would be then?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Hey Darrman,

I just wanted to comment that I have been one to post a solution that involves breaking into locations and taking meds etc. I should clarify that is important to plan and prepare for situations that would involve going months without the ability to buy food or grow your own, get fresh water sources etc.

With that I do believe it equally as important to prepare to be able to scavenge effectively. I do not condone killing or stealing from others however I would hope that in a post apocalyptic scenario or months without food people would band together and form "tribes" in order to work towards a cohesiveness that would result in the rebuilding of a modern society. This would allow for the sharing of supplies and hopefully establish bartering/trade. The bit about breaking into places would be more for the city and abandoned buildings etc.

lets say you can only have what you can carry. Medication, first aid, food etc are going to be important but they are also perishable items meaning they have a shelf life. That would take up important space if outdated so you would most likely get rid of it. The great thing is that pharmacy's, cars, hospitals, food marts, etc. will still have some scraps left after humanity has obliterated itself. If the owners have abandoned it and no one is using it as a shelter is it really "stealing". It will eventually go bad anyway. Same thing with boots on a dead guy. Take them if they're better and fit well. He doesn't have a use for them.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CodeNameKriltos

CodeName, you're right about one thing. A SHTF scenario will be very negative, and as desperation grows, you'll see humanity at its absolute worst.

Be careful about trusting to benevolent "groups." Soon enough, the dominating players will be ruling the group and the other members will become no more than chattel. A return to tribalism, and not exactly the workable nineteenth century versions.

Anyone who thinks their roving band of a hundred will be almost unstoppable is in for a rude awakening. In SF, we had a kill ratio that varied between 100:1 to 150:1 - documented. I may not be able to stay and slug it out, but you take out one of mine or steal from me, I'll dog you for days, weeks, or months, picking off one here and there until I kill every one of you. Won't take all that long.

In fact, I love folks who rely on larger numbers. They're vastly weaker and more vulnerable. More easily anticipated, and vastly easier to steer toward their own destruction.

2500 years ago, Heraclitus said,

"Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't be here.
Eighty are just targets,
Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them,
for they make the battle.
Ah, but the one.
One is a warrior,
And he will bring the others back."

Nothing has changed. The men Heraclitus was talking about were soldiers - how much more true this will be about a mix of soldiers/non-soldiers.

The only way to know for certain where you belong is to have been tested by fire again and again. Anything else is sheer speculation.

Now.

In which group do you THINK you may belong in?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I truly believe an armed society is a polite society. If the SHTF ever really does happen, a lot of other folks will be better armed than you might expect - and they will not tolerate the "bad manners" of being robbed or looted.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by David291

Buy a book about the type of plants and trees in the wooded areas around where you live. If you have that knowledge. It will provide you with all the food and medicine you could ever use. And get a good knife with a high carbon content. Spend as much on the knife as you can afford. You'll be able to make fire off your knife and a rock. (you'll run out of flint eventually) Unless it's in your area naturally. I'd get a hand saw and find a natural water supply. (where you plan to fish they grade the edibility of the fish which is based on the water) To be safe I'd boil the water for at least ten min. A thick sleeping bag and cheap first aid kit. And your set
edit on 4/5/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

You have to remember what happened after Katrina!
A lot of armed citizens stayed behind to defend their
homes.The military took their guns away,the criminals
still had theirs!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join