survival -- plan and prepare? or LOOT and BOOT?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

thank you all

well I feel better now

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
"loot" and "raiding" sounds a lot to me like you may have gotten responses from people who enjoy the videos games "Borderlands" and " Fallout 3" which pretty much teach you in any "wasteland" the way to survive is kill and steal but as long as you're doing it for a great good it's all a okay.

I love them video games though, so many hours wasted.
Did I learn anything?
No.

It's really hard to tell what people will do until something actually happens.
Expect the worst, hope for the best & be prepared.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I'm fully prepared to do "whatever's" necessary in any event.
if i have to pillage and plunder, that's just called adapt and overcome...you either throw the rules to the wind or become another victim...its your choice
edit on 5-4-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
just this morning in response to other threads about BOB's (bug out bags)
i read many people's thoughts about being able to get what their family needs, AFTER the SHTF.......

theft,,, poaching,,,,looting,,,,raiding,,,, are just a few words mentioned by members...

Am i Reading humans right...?? it's bad enough i'm going to have to deal with the "problem" what ever "it" will be.

but if i have to deal with humans being stupid-- and trying to TAKE my family's supplys.....

just the thought makes me angry......

we ALL have the time,, to take steps ,,NOW,, to survive as a race of people -- each in our own lands- in our own way..

or not ...

how many of us think it is better to STEAL,, then to PREPARE??

I find it heartening but childish that you are discussing a survival situation, and you are most worried about moral issues, and ethics.

What if I have a plan for both preparing and looting? Is that out of whack???

Since many of my family members and friends aren't planning now, but they know that I am, I am certain that if their was a failure of American Infrastructure, they would be on my doorstep expecting me to supply them with a Gun and Ammunition and other supplies that I have spent years and dollars collecting.
And why wouldn't I?? My actual plan is to have one Handgun, Rifle, and Shotgun for each of my brothers and brother in laws, and one Rifle OR shotgun for every woman in the family, and a .22 rifle for each child over the age of 10 years old.

With the size of my extended family, if we needed to leave the city, and be armed, we would be a formidable group moving to wherever we were trying to go. We could raid along the way and I doubt their would be many groups of similar size and firepower between us and our goals.
Smaller groups along the way would obviously want to join with us for safety and security and in essence, my family would simply roll back to what they were 120 years ago. We'd be our own entity, armed and ruled, by ourselves. Going back to the ancestral lands we still own down in the country, to take care of ourselves.

How is that a bad plan? You can't really plan and prepare for more than a couple months out. Ammunition can last for decades, but food doesn't. We would have to move as a caravan, protect ourselves, and loot and pillage along the way if we wanted to make it. Sure we could barter and trade, but as a group, why not apply the rule of the fittest?
Some sense of patriotism? Fairness? Ethics? Since none of those things helped us up to the failure of the system, I can't imagine those ideals are going to be more important after the failure.

If I chose to spend my years preparing for the worst scenario instead of buying sports cars and Droid phones and pleasure boats, then I'm not going to apologize when the SHTF and my family is more prepared to be survivors and raiders than are all the families sitting outside their bi-level cookie cutter houses begging for hand outs and trying to sell their Ipads and Flat screen tv's for a hand full of rice or beans.

Tough # ya know. If you have something I want, I might barter with you. Or I'll put a gun to your head and give you the option to hand it over and run away. or worse. At that point, it's up to me.
Those people weren't concerned with my welfare and well being during the good times. Why should I be concerned during what is for them, the bad times?

Why is it my responsibility to carry on ideals, with people who wouldn't apply those ideals when they had the chance? Because you can't tell me that the world as it is isn't full of greed and pillaging right now. It's just a much more subtle pillaging and looting than we would see after the SHTF.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Even those with the highest moral values when times are good will become cannibals when hungry enough.

Desperate people will do anything to survive. If you really want to survive; prepare for the things that will be much more dangerous than marauders: disease and emotional trauma when you see your loved one's sick and dieing.
edit on 5-4-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Some of you will be in for a cruel, bloody awakening if things take a nosedive in the future. You CANNOT prepare for every facet of the human element in a situation like this. I see a lot of "AR15 heroes" that think they're going to amass a mountain of corpses defending their family/community/compound. That type of blatant, identifiable looter will probably never even make it out to whatever remote location you are fantasizing about, they'll be lighting each other up in the high density population areas. The ones that survive the long haul and live a looting lifestyle will be so incredibly dangerous. Imagine a group of 20-25 ex-military/Blackwater sociopaths just leaving a swath of destruction. You have women and children to worry about not to mention whatever kind of infrastructure that you wouldn't want to just up and abandon. You may be able to defend with well thought out tactics but if you think you won't take significant, demoralizing losses you are delusional.

Not to mention the snakes that you have to look out for most of all. The ones that wave the white flag on the first day, convincingly integrate into your community on the second day, and slit your throat on the third. A SHTF scenario will be just that: sh!t. The initial months maybe even years will be catastrophic on your physical and mental health regardless of how much you've thought and prepared. IMO the best thing you can do to prepare is accept that you are almost assuredly going to die before 'your time', and just buckle up for the ride. That's not even mentioning booby traps and ambushes, which will cut your group down even if every man woman and child is armed to the teeth. Preparing increases your odds, but it all boils down to luck. That's all it is.
edit on 5-4-2011 by wtf1is1happening because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

This is exactly the type of person I'm talking about.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
only buisness looting no homes with families, their trying to surive to.
the buisnesses really got what you want, tools, the food, the warehouses.
so many places stock kind of changes in different areas.
but i think theres enough out there for people that we hopfully wont violently take others

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtf1is1happening

This is exactly the type of person I'm talking about.

2nd line

You are defeated before you start. And that's Ok. It means most likely noon will have to deal with you on any level.

What you don't understand is that my plans don't involve hunkering down in the suburbs. We have a place to go and a plan for survival when we get there. I've worked side by side with those Black water types. The only reason I bothered to start planning for a failure in infrastructure were the number of years I spent working for the DoD that forced me to acknowledge how likely that situation really is. And it forced me to acknowledge how ill prepared the majority of people are, and just how bad it could go if it happened.

Restoring infrastructure in a country you've just bombed out to a hollow shell, looks very similar and works very similar to surviving the months to years that come after the SHTF in your own area. The big difference is that the majority of civilians in those bombed out holes, are un armed, and they are conditioned to being stepped on.
Hungry Americans are more frightening to me than just about anything else. Because every American is 100% convinced that they are entitled to have what they want, even when they aren't starving.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

I'm not really trying to get into a debate over this, so this will be my last post directly responding. I just want you to be aware that conducting yourself like you are the star of your own 'I am Legend' is going to get you killed or worse. I wish the best for you and yours if/when America implodes, but no matter how long and meticulous you've been planning, to think you and your extended family will survive in one piece, let alone be a force to be reckoned with is utterly irrational.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by wtf1is1happening

You do have more posts than me. I'm sure history will bear you out as correct.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Be prepared for the hoards of oblivious people that could never comprehend something in their daily routine changing. Humans are wretched and will do anything to survive.

If you are not already mentally prepared to defend your loved ones and the supplies to sustain them then your already dead if an event transpires like everyone keeps talking about. I'm lucky I married a beautiful woman that has an extended family of hunters and and fishermen. She's petite and she can tack 2 inch groups at 50 yards with a .45. and she would be the least of their problems. We will not need to loot and will help who we can however for all the fools that will inevitably come the only warning they are going to get is their basic instincts and their hair on their neck raising combined with that little voice that tries to maintain a humans survival. It will be saying "wrong porch pick another".

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wtf1is1happening

I don't think I'm the star of I am Legend. I'm the man they should have been thinking about when they wrote it. He dies. I won't. ; )

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
What many here fail to realize is that as soon as you pull that trigger and kill another human a part of you changes forever. You can't go back. If you are lucky or strong enough to retain your humanity it will haunt you forever. If you cease to care you are no longer human but a wretched beast who will be put down by one who will forever be haunted.

The Rambos among us will be weeded out. Those who can and will live for a greater community and strive for peace will be the ones who thrive. Sure criminals will come through and hurt the community from time to time, but the community is larger than a person, larger than a family. It is what will survive and it is why our species will stay on this planet until it can no longer support life...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

You have to survive long enough to be a member of that society. I recommend go living in a third world country for a little while. It most certainly will change you. But as long as you stick to your moral beliefs and help your fellow man (figure of speech) you'll sleep like a baby at night. Humans can and will adjust and adapt to anything. Society will survive and so will goodness. If something did happen it would be that the evils wouldn't be as tolerated as they are today. IMO

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just so were clear, WHAT are we preparing for? if different S**t goes down their are different ways to prepare.

Most outcomes id say looting is a bad idea, and im sure those people will be dealt with quickly, our world cannot survive with the bad, its sad but its them or us and the point of tipping is soon.
being a electrician the most important thing id try and persevere would be a generator! we depend WAY too much on electric, we've lost touch with our world

two items id take, my mac and a thousand batteries! haha, communication is the key to survival.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
well i'm well prepared if people try to steal from me they wont be coming back we've got our bobs ready and a secure house with good defensive measures if they step in to my thresh hold they had better come well prepared because if it comes to protecting your family i'm pretty sure we would all go the extra mile but i wouldn't go and rip off anyone else of because its not in my nature.
in a crises we should all pull together not fall apart but thats what i've come to expect
its just as easy to catch you food and water than risk you life trying to take someone else's.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
In a true SHTF scenario, supplies, whatever they may be, will not be hard to come by. IMO 90% of people walking around today are not prepared for such an event. They will not be needing whatever they have after a short time. I was front and center for Katrina, and the only person home on my block. during the days and weeks that followed I had to obtain water- In the area I lived in everbody is on well water. I went to all the houses on my street and filled my containers from their spigots on the wells. This worked for a short time until the well lost prime. Fortunatly for me the NG showed up and brought water with them. I didnt really consider this looting, more like scavenging. I even told all my neighbors about it when the eventually came home. Wasnt a problem. In a sustained crisis, where no one is going to eventually show up with ice, water, and mre's you will have to do what you have to do. Will I try to overpower a family and take what they have? absolutely not. Will I kick the door down of an empty house and take what I need. Yep. No matter how prepared you are, supplies go quickly, esp during extreme weather months. In the south during summer, you better have a good supply of water. When I look around me today at the sheeple going about their business, Ive realized they are so out of touch, they wont be an issue, they simply wont survive for long. And after that, as far as Im concerned, whatever they have left behind is fair game

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
should the sthf..only my self / ingenuity / broadsword will stand between me and failure.. i've not got a BOB. don't need one.. admittedly if the shtf in the way i think, hunting won't be much of an option.. besides guns run out of ammo.. swords don't need bullets..

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by believer74

Please, Please, dont bring a sword to a gun fight.
Sorry, couldnt resist.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join