survival -- plan and prepare? or LOOT and BOOT?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
reply to post by TigaHawk

I don't know about where you live, but around here, road construction crews use lots of lighted road signs that are powered by solar cells. At night, the roads are deserted. I don't think the things are bolted on all that well. Once we run out of refined gasoline (about a week, after any link in the supply chain breaks), nobody will be crowding the roads anyway.

just sayin'.

Over here they're pushing solar panels+electricity bill reduction and water tanks for water bill reduction - and its catching on quite well. I was moreso thinking if there was a SHTF senario it would be a CME kinda one, so the panels would be fried. The water tanks however would be very handy. If no cme of corse i'd go for the panels

I was also thinking of going after books, anything usefull, hell stuff which describes native plants - even if it's not edible. Perhaps even raid the local library if it seemed things were getting violent/bad as well. People when angry and confuzed are just destructive.

I'd fill a few up with pool water after moving them. Where i live, there are no real communities in the neigborhood. People are untrusting - and i would not feel safe (and doubt it would be) to stay in you're home after a few days. I am sure other people can relate to this - and will do similar things with "salvaging" stuff off somewhere quiet rather than chance it be destroyed by vandals and the such.

I guess it all comes down to ones intentions in the end and i would not be willing to take another's property unless they have abandond it because of the situation - and also if there's a genuine threat of stuff being lost/destroyed needlessly.

IE - 2mins out of the area i live is the states Archives. Its quite a big building, they've got records of births, deaths, buildings.. . you name it. If SHTF in a community that's not close together - and because of how the areas are now you believe the worst will happen with how the people will react.

Would you break in if you felt you could save something important - because you were prepared for this SHTF senario and had a nice relatively safe spot to hide out where you believed it would be safe?

Would you be willing to risk not going out and salvaging stuff which you know is others property (if the owners appear to have moved on permnantly - without you're assistance) if there's a high chance it'll be destroyed or damaged by reckless people being needlessly violent?

That's directed at all you people who are like looting is bad our community would shoot you etc. What would YOU do in our shoes if it wasnt feasable for you to get out of that area before SHTF?

Just out of interest

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TigaHawk

I direct your attention to this thread:
Library

And if you don't want to read it all just remeber, the librarians might not take kindly to your raid.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
just this morning in response to other threads about BOB's (bug out bags)
i read many people's thoughts about being able to get what their family needs, AFTER the SHTF.......

theft,,, poaching,,,,looting,,,,raiding,,,, are just a few words mentioned by members...

Am i Reading humans right...?? it's bad enough i'm going to have to deal with the "problem" what ever "it" will be.

but if i have to deal with humans being stupid-- and trying to TAKE my family's supplys.....

just the thought makes me angry......

we ALL have the time,, to take steps ,,NOW,, to survive as a race of people -- each in our own lands- in our own way..

or not ...

how many of us think it is better to STEAL,, then to PREPARE??

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. But seriously, nothing is gonna happen anytime soon that you need to worry about. This site is filled with people who try to scare others into thinking something big is coming down but it's not so relax.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by Butterbone

I agree. After associating with Blackwater/Xe types, I know the type of people we will be dealing with. Jericho was not so far off. I have made a lot of preparations, but I do not pretend for one second that I have thought of everything. Will I go into homes? Not with living occupants. Small businesses? Not my first choice. Wally World, Home Depot, Lowes, Bass Pro Shop, pawn shops? All fair game imo.

That's admirable about the Home Occupants. I agree with that. My point was just that if someone wants to barter with me after "the end", then they better be bartering from a point of strength equal to my own.

I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of someone who was "projecting the best outcome" and relying on my christian charity to help them survive a situation they had just as much opportunity to plan for as I did.

I didn't take a weeks vacation in Disney land. I was buying ammunition. I didn't stop to go to the bahamas on a giant useless boat. I was learning how to build a windmill or watermill grain grinder. I didn't sit on my butt all winter complaining about what was happening on Jersey Shore. I was learning how to distill water.

I'm not planning on roaming from house to house killing people and taking their stuff. I think that expecting to sit around a campfire and take in whatever wandering un prepared idiot is carting his Xbox behind him in a radio flyer is insane.

And PLEASE if you feel even the slightest inclination to be that guy. Do it. Please do it. The world will need you to do it. Take in all the strays, help everyone. Sing songs, hold hands, and live on Hope and Good feelings.
I wish you all the best luck.

As far as being Rambo. Well. If you don't think people can be Rambo. Then you obviously aren't a Rambo. Tell me how that works out for you. Cause me? I can't take apart, and reassemble every weapon I own, blindfolded. I can tell you when one of my weapons is loaded or not by it's weight. I can walk 10 miles with my alice pack loaded up to 60 pounds. I know my dog team can drag 150lbs 200 yards. So with a small wagon, with mountain bike tires they could pull 200lbs all day. And if need be, they would be delicious fire roasted.

Is that Rambo? I don't think so. That is just having an expectation that my definition of worst case scenario probably isn't bad enough for reality.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

i read many people's thoughts about being able to get what their family needs, AFTER the SHTF.......

theft,,, poaching,,,,looting,,,,raiding,,,, are just a few words mentioned by members...

Am i Reading humans right...?? it's bad enough i'm going to have to deal with the "problem" what ever "it" will be.

but if i have to deal with humans being stupid-- and trying to TAKE my family's supplys.....

we ALL have the time,, to take steps ,,NOW,, to survive as a race of people -- each in our own lands- in our own way..

or not ...

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission. But seriously, nothing is gonna happen anytime soon that you need to worry about. This site is filled with people who try to scare others into thinking something big is coming down but it's not so relax.

Based on what? Your expertly anonymous internet voodoo fortune telling? No Thanks Grasshopper. I'd rather be an ant who leaves behind a lot of unused plans.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
One of my favorite short stories that is very simple, and answers the question as to why people should bother to prepare, (even for general limited emergencies) is the following:

Sleep When the Wind Blows

A farmer needed an extra hand to help on his farm. One young man came to interview for the job. "What are your qualifications?" the farmer asked. "I can sleep when the wind blows," the young man said. This simple reply confused the farmer, but he was desperate for help and the young man was hired.

The young man was a diligent worker through the harvest season, but the farmer still questioned his answer.

Autumn ended and the first cold storm of winter came late one night. The farmer panicked as the winds began to blow. Calling the young man for help, the farmer grabbed his coat and pulled heavy boots on his feet. He was disappointed to find the young man asleep in bed at a time like this. Grudgingly he ventured out alone planning to shuffle all of the animals in the barn and then fix that last hole in the roof. He mumbled about the young man sleeping and was sure all the farm equipment was left standing in the field, collecting rust from the snow.

However, when the farmer reached the barn all the animals were tucked safely inside. In fact, clean hay had already been set out for the new day. Not a single hole could be found in the roof, and the tractor was parked perfectly in the shed.

"Who could have done it?" the farmer wondered. And then, he realized what the young man's answer meant, "I can sleep when the wind blows."

Source: beprepared.com...

edit on 4/23/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

wonderful thread!! thanks for comments..

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

or not ...

This is exactly the point I wanted to make with my thread/posts "Earthquake in Minnesota. Do you know what that means" Got slammed for it though, so I "explained the basics".

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Arbiture can you link to your post? I don't live in Minesota but there is a major fault line that runs across indiana/ohio/kentucky tristate.
I think I'd find it interesting.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Butterbone
reply to post by arbiture

Arbiture can you link to your post? I don't live in Minesota but there is a major fault line that runs across indiana/ohio/kentucky tristate.
I think I'd find it interesting.

I'm sorry I can't link to any post, my computer security won't let me. (Long story) But I will run down the posts and provide the details in the body of my next post on this subject. No sweat...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wtf1is1happening

"Surviving" by killing&stealing is not real surviving. Its like turning into a monster from that zombie movies
(actually I think anyone who thinks that "zombie movies" are about any real pandemy or something is terribly wrong and naive. Its a metaphore
) If someone is basing his survival plans for post-catastrophic situations on robery and looting the others its better for him (and of course for humankind) to think a moment and dissmiss that stupid ideas right now- or died...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Excuse me, but, I will be "finding" food.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
To paraphrase Mike Tyson "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

Sure he said it about boxing but it applies to these situations as well. No matter how big your arsenal is or how well thought out your BoB is you're going to have to think on your feet. Sure being prepared is going to help but it makes much more sense to prepare to be unprepared.

Don't assume you will be able to get to your stash or its not going to be SHTF but SHYP (Your Pants). We all know those people who talk big game but freak out at minor inconveniences those are going to be the first to go.

Keep calm and carry on, stiff upper lip and all that.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Good. Cyvilisation and culture is not only about mercy etc. Sometimes to be a good Christian is about protection of the defenceless. With all means at hand.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I still say that part of my plan, and preparedness, is based on the idea that I will have to choose my survival at the expense of some "innocent" person.

And I'm OK with that.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

many months have passed.. i was a great thread..

(only 20 FLAGS??)

lol

hahhahhahh

i wonder if anyone changed their minds??

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
lots more of these need dug up and brought back.

second for a

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

it of course depends on the situation , in say :

the aftremath of a pandemic with a 75% fatility rate - organised looting - is the only way the survivors are going to be able to regroup into smaller communities with a higher degree of self sufficiency than we have now

if a CME wiped out all power grids and solid state electronics with zero direct casualties - the loot and boot will be met by lynching and summary execution

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by darrman

it of course depends on the situation , in say :

the aftremath of a pandemic with a 75% fatility rate - organised looting - is the only way the survivors are going to be able to regroup into smaller communities with a higher degree of self sufficiency than we have now

if a CME wiped out all power grids and solid state electronics with zero direct casualties - the loot and boot will be met by lynching and summary execution

Seeing as how The average American family only has four days worth of food on hand, anyone attending Your stated Lynching/executions will most likely be "looted" while they're doing so.

4 days worth of food vs. a couple months/years until society as we know it is restored due to a CME leads me to believe that there will be far more looters and booters than there will be law abiding citizens in the aftermath of such an event.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

From what you have posted, I'd say we are on the same page, I do what I can to make the rising prices easier to deal with...by buying up a few extra things instead of what I want from the stores.
It has helped me in the past, Example of that was a divorce...I was really tight on cash because bills took everything to stay on top of them and be on time. That never would of happened if I didn't set cash aside and have a well stocked pantry. I was able to spend $20-$30 every 2 weeks to a month on food due to what I had done to fill the pantry.
I have recovered from that..due to setting stuff away for a rainy day....So even if prices go up...many will have a slight buffer in the rising costs, for alittle while anyway....I just hope it doesn't get to bad for to long.
I would use what I have and wouldn't be the type to take from others...because I was raised better than that!!!
The youth of today however, might think you should support them...because they are lazy and have never done a hard days work in there life...or they did and they quit or got fired because they thought they were better than that....
I hope they learn quick that nothing in life is free!!!

new topics
top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join