It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survival -- plan and prepare? or LOOT and BOOT?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
just this morning in response to other threads about BOB's (bug out bags)
i read many people's thoughts about being able to get what their family needs, AFTER the SHTF.......

theft,,, poaching,,,,looting,,,,raiding,,,, are just a few words mentioned by members...

Am i Reading humans right...?? it's bad enough i'm going to have to deal with the "problem" what ever "it" will be.

but if i have to deal with humans being stupid-- and trying to TAKE my family's supplys.....

just the thought makes me angry......

we ALL have the time,, to take steps ,,NOW,, to survive as a race of people -- each in our own lands- in our own way..

or not ...

how many of us think it is better to STEAL,, then to PREPARE??

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There will be many many people who will think looting is a much better idea, not that it is. Not to mention all those who are not even aware in any way and will resort to looting.

Get additional ammo, you will need it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Obviously it's better to be prepared, and you will have piece of mind knowing you have the supplies. For the looters, just be prepared for that too.
I will have some firearms, pepper spray, and some nice lasers as a deterrent..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

edit on 4-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

In a really bad situation all bets are off.

Still, I prefer to prepare. Should some jerk think he's entitled to rob me of what I have, when I put the bastard down he won't need what he has anymore. So do the math.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Looters will see in short order the low life expectancy of their kind.

Deebo

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by darrman

Always better to be prepared. If you are depending on looting then you have set your self up for failure.

Ants vs Grasshoppers

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
theft becomes a subjective term after TSHTF

If people are dead, or have abandoned their homes, their property is technically still not mine, but i would not feel bad taking what i need.

If they were still alive, or buggin in, i would not resort to those tactics, but seek trade / communication.

It's not "looting" or "theft" in my first situation, but more of a finders keepers.

eh, semantics

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There's going to be more looters/raiders than people who are prepared, that's a fact you're going to have to accept.
People want to survive, but VERY few have the ability to do so once the their life support system (fiat money) is removed from the equation. People will be desperate, hungry, and unhinged.

You're talking about a SHTF scenario, all bets are off. I'll kill and loot anyone in order to survive, and I fully expect the same treatment coming my way. If/when we reach that societal collapse no amount of ammo, BOB bags or self sustaining food systems is a guarantee against other humans. If they are determined enough they WILL kill you and take your stuff, but not without you taking down some or plenty in the process. These 'crack shot' survivalists that think they can defend against all comers is beyond laughable. All it takes is a booby trap or one guy hiding with a Remington in a tree to remove you from the gene pool.

This isn't a movie, in that type of reality 99% of everyone will not be dying from old age.
edit on 4-4-2011 by wtf1is1happening because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Depending on how bad it gets, I think community is going to be key to survival.

One man with lots of guns isn't nearly as good as a community with lots of eyes and ears looking out for everyone's best interest.

Tribe. It's the way to go.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't really understand the point in looting. In a SHTF scenario, if people could just kindly ask for help, I would give it to them. Whether it be supplies, or shelter, etc.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Indeed...

Luckily I married into a large family with lots of guns...
If something bad happens my wife and I are heading to her dad's house.

Our BOBs aren't really BOBs so much as combat deployment gear.
Same goes for the family.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Being prepared in the face of any disaster will increase your odds of survival right from step 1. This will provide you with the foundation, to live w/i your means for a short period of time while you assess the situation. Just imagine the mayhem that will ensue amongst the hoards of the unprepared. Panic will surely result in injury or even death for many.

Everyone's survival instincts will kick in, the issue is these are instincts long forgotten out of practice, or never learned. Mental preparation, will help you stay calm in what would surely be the most monumental event to happen in our own individual lives.

Looting will be key to survival in the long run, but first we will need the resources to make it to that point. Stay away from the main drag, instead have a map of available resources in a less populated area.

At the moment, I am no where near the proper level of preparedness. But, hopefully the small add on's I can do from time to time will be enough to last me through step 1.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
just this morning in response to other threads about BOB's (bug out bags)
i read many people's thoughts about being able to get what their family needs, AFTER the SHTF.......

theft,,, poaching,,,,looting,,,,raiding,,,, are just a few words mentioned by members...

Am i Reading humans right...?? it's bad enough i'm going to have to deal with the "problem" what ever "it" will be.

but if i have to deal with humans being stupid-- and trying to TAKE my family's supplys.....

just the thought makes me angry......

we ALL have the time,, to take steps ,,NOW,, to survive as a race of people -- each in our own lands- in our own way..

or not ...

how many of us think it is better to STEAL,, then to PREPARE??

You look pretty good in them boots, piggy.

j/k

A lot of people don't have the money now to stock up on supplies or the knowledge of how to live off the land. We've let TPTB take what we've worked for, and our work has taken us far from nature. So for most, "loot and boot" is the only thing they will know how to do. But even then, only the professional/lifetime criminals will be really good at it, at least initially (they've been practicing).

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
They would only try to loot and boot from me once. Plan and prepare stay around family and friends is the best way I think. If you can't stay where your at move as a group because there is safety in numbers. darrman please don't get mad but I still think you avatar would taste good lol.
edit on 4-4-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtf1is1happening
There's going to be more looters/raiders than people who are prepared, that's a fact you're going to have to accept.
People want to survive, but VERY few have the ability to do so once the their life support system (fiat money) is removed from the equation. People will be desperate, hungry, and unhinged.

You're talking about a SHTF scenario, all bets are off. I'll kill and loot anyone in order to survive, and I fully expect the same treatment coming my way. If/when we reach that societal collapse no amount of ammo, BOB bags or self sustaining food systems is a guarantee against other humans. If they are determined enough they WILL kill you and take your stuff, but not without you taking down some or plenty in the process. These 'crack shot' survivalists that think they can defend against all comers is beyond laughable. All it takes is a booby trap or one guy hiding with a Remington in a tree to remove you from the gene pool.

This isn't a movie, in that type of reality 99% of everyone will not be dying from old age.
edit on 4-4-2011 by wtf1is1happening because: (no reason given)

semi-funny discussion around some survivalist forums:
" there are some "survivalists" nobody would want to "survive" around."Mostly the ones you have to always watch your back around ...""All bets are not off" "animals" will be killed or shunned live to with other "animals"

edit on 4-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In concept one could reply and say prepare. But saying a great deal more can put one at risk. First it is illegal to build up a food supply and if you do the government will confiscate it. Not saying I agree with this of course, but to throw all your doings on line is taking some personal risk it would seem. Want to survive, be a nobody and draw no attention, thus not a threat. SAY loudly, I have no food stash, no weapons, I am meek. LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think you have to prepare for the looters, especially in large cities. Just look at what happens every time the lights go off in New York City. They call it "The Night of the Animals." These people are not at all prepared. They just assume they can take from others. In New Orleans, even the cops looted.

Probably the best overall thing you could possibly do is move out of any large population area to someplace much more isolated. The second thing you shpuld do is arm yourself sufficiently. The third thing you should do is secure a year's worth of supplies. I also agree that a 'tribal' approach is probably superior to a lone wolf approach. Loan wolves can always be overrun by more organized groups.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sailormon
In concept one could reply and say prepare. But saying a great deal more can put one at risk. First it is illegal to build up a food supply and if you do the government will confiscate it. Not saying I agree with this of course, but to throw all your doings on line is taking some personal risk it would seem. Want to survive, be a nobody and draw no attention, thus not a threat. SAY loudly, I have no food stash, no weapons, I am meek. LOL

??? Illegal to have a food supply ? Every farmer in the county has bins full of corn and grain.?? I know of the "confiscatory executive orders"( perhaps you are referring to) but it hardly makes it" illegal"????.
I garden....
edit on 4-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

humans will go back to theur primitive instincts of survival....it will be all about the individual and their loved ones....most people wont care about yours or others families...its gonna be"all about me and mine" kinda deal....so prepare for that...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join