It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOB all packed yet?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman
my BOB,, (i have 2) fits on my back comfortably,, but my wife, whom i can't seem to convince to use a backpack, thinks a shoulder bag would be of better use... some arguments a good man just CAN"T win..

What is her reasoning there? I have a cheap $15 backpack that I have been keeping as a BOB, but sometimes I think I should get something better. I do have a very nice shoulder bag that is light and almost as big as me. I had considered putting my BOB in there, but I honestly can't say if one is better than the other. The shoulder bag is much more durable, and I have certainly carried it long distances with many shopping trophies.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD

my BOB,, (i have 2) fits on my back comfortably,, but my wife, whom i can't seem to convince to use a backpack, thinks a shoulder bag would be of better use... some arguments a good man just CAN"T win..

What is her reasoning there? I have a cheap $15 backpack that I have been keeping as a BOB, but sometimes I think I should get something better. I do have a very nice shoulder bag that is light and almost as big as me. I had considered putting my BOB in there, but I honestly can't say if one is better than the other. The shoulder bag is much more durable, and I have certainly carried it long distances with many shopping trophies.

You put enough weight in her bag and she'll be happy to hump it on her back instead of her shoulder. You need to stop being so manly and let her carry her fair share of the weight on your next camping trip. I like shoulder bag too - mine is the old WW1 style gas mask bag but put more than 10 pounds or so and forget it!

My solution for barter is hacksaw blades, cheap and light but very handy.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Maybe technically the back is the better place for more weight. But I find with myself, and likely with a lot of other women, is that we are used to carrying a lot of weight on one shoulder, but not on our backs. Because women's purses have gotten bigger and bigger, but they are usually of the shoulder variety. The only backpacks made to use as a woman's purse are much smaller than would ever be practical. Some women's purses are even made so that we can wear them cross-body.

The way I am built, trying to carry around more than 25 pounds would be asking for major trouble anyway. If push comes to shove, I'm going to have to do with a lot less.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

Actually 20 lbs is my target weight for gear, maximum. However, I do tend to be able to get by with less. I am more of of make it as I need it rather than take it all and get nowhere.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
reply to post by darrman

when i say shopping i mean pilledge,steal and looting..all that good stuff...i know money wont be any good,guns will be my credit card

YOU sir,, are the reason i started THIS;;; www.abovetopsecret.com...

you upset me... and YOU will hurt your family with THAT attidude..

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

water weighs 7 lbs a gallon

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

It is a good warning for us to be vigilant and if the intent was as a warning then it served it's purpose and thank you.

I think his intent was that he didn't see any other options given the current situation. There are many other choices and it will not be an every man for himself unless you make it so.

Then you will likely go the way of all men going it alone in nature. Either insane and animalistic with a horrible life or dead.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Well, then wherever I am going, had better have water.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Don't worry about it too much man. People that talk a lot of crap about pillaging etc, seem to be not so intelligent IMO. People that think that they are gonna take what other people have been stockpiling will have a rude awakening.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
i wrote down everything useful in this thread on a piece of paper in my BOB for future reference

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

It is a shame. But I think we can safely assume a lot of people will be clueless.

A lot of people already are clueless and it ain't happened yet.

It's sad that so many people don't care enough about their loved ones nor themselves to prepare ahead of time.

Worse thing will be watching your children crying and wasting away because you can't feed them or you get killed while trying to Rambo up on somebody who is experienced to steal from them and leave your loved ones to fend for themselves.

Your committing them to a death sentence and don't even care.

I feel sorry for the "I will just run out and shop (steal) what I need when it happens" people. Just sad.

The first 1-3 months will see a TON of dead people who thought they could survive on stealing and their Ninja skills.......

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

water weighs 7 lbs a gallon

Actually water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. adjust accordingly.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Eye protection ain't such a bad idea, either.
I work with tools a lot, and it seems like I'm constantly replacing gloves and glasses.

I'm not a rich man, so sometimes I'm tempted to just make the old ones work another week.

However, one look at all the slices and abrasions on my gloves, and all the gouges into the eye protection tells me that its not worth trying to save a few bucks.

Walking/crawling through thick brush sucks without the right protection, too.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by no special characters
Being in the city there's no need to go all out.... Water and food for the first day(s)/week(s) is all I care for....

Burnin'and'lootin to get my gear before I head up into the hills.

Been reading anything here at all?
Headin' Where? oh yeah "the hills" to live off the land"! You and 30 million other unprepared "walking problems"..."life long deer hunters don't come home with a deer every year. "Game" is gonna be gone quickly. And theres people who live in the hills already( with at least one good shovel to go with every gun ; who might take offense to outsiders wandering around scarfing the remaining resources. being you're an admitted "looter" I'm sure you'll fit right in a small town community. added: and you'll have years of practice under your bel t with all that recently liberated( stolen) gear(?)
"No plan" is the absolute worst plan...

Seriously; we know Something is gonna take a dump on us. what more motivation do you need to get prepped now.? one more prepared individual is one less starving wanderer eyeing up slow moving children; for us to "help" along to a "better situation"...

edit on 4-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well you could look at it like this perhaps
The less prepared people there are (who will more than likely die off quickly) the more resources there will be left for those of us that did prepare
I can live with that quite honestly
edit on 5-4-2011 by Nemain73 because: spelling or something

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Please don't hate me since this has nothing to do with this post. You have the coolest avatar i have ever seen in my life on any website ever. hands down dopest avatar iv ever seen. If it was early and people were up i might actually laugh out loud. and also to be on topic thank you for bringing this up I'm glad everyone is discussing whta to pack. makes me proud to be a part of ATS

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I was out last weekend with a guy who is very new to survival.
Since he knows what I do he asked me to take him out in the bush for the night.
In regards to the op I always carry gloves and 2 hats,a ballcap and a toque.
Surprisingly I have camped in below zero temperatures and never needed my gloves but was thankful I had them for back up.
My point is this.
Before we left last weekend I asked him if he brought a hat.
As soon as he said no I knew he was gonna have some trouble.
The temperature was about zero and fell to about minus five overnight.
Knowing his sleeping bag was rated for zero I knew he was gonna need a hat.
430 am he wakes me up to tell me to take him back because he was freezing.

A hat is how I keep my body temperature up in cold weather and I will put it on or take it off as needed.
Since most of your heatloss comes from the head....I say always carry 2 hats as well as a set of good gloves.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I agree on watching the weight of your pack because you are the one who has to carry the thing.
Sometimes its hard to pack light given the environments you might be in.
When I have gone out in minus 25 its hard to pack light if your sleeping bag alone weighs 20 pounds which mine does.
I pack for what I am doing at that time.
Sometimes its a light bag and sometimes I have to lug a heavy pack but it is all based on what my needs are at that moment.
My goal for my summer pack is 6 lbs but thats going to take some trial and error and I am sure to learn valid lessons from my mistakes trying to make my goal.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

reply to post by darrman

actually pure water has a mass of 1 kg / litre

not to be snarky - and this is not aimed at you two - or any other ATSer - but we are in the 21st century SI units

why do different countries still insist on being backwards with ' imperial galons ' , american galons '- and even wet / dry galons - wtf ??????

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by mwood

reply to post by darrman

actually pure water has a mass of 1 kg / litre

not to be snarky - and this is not aimed at you two - or any other ATSer - but we are in the 21st century SI units

why do different countries still insist on being backwards with ' imperial galons ' , american galons '- and even wet / dry galons - wtf ??????

Not to be snarky either:
but because "We" was you
but now" We" is"us" and that's just the way we like it.

...2.12lbs/kg *4qts(ltres)=8.4lbs approx but who's into mathfor the fun ofit? D

edit on 5-4-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join