It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moss and Trees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would like to make note that this doesn't have any real scientific value or any credible sources, but it is about our planet Earth in my location. So if a mod finds this thread to be in the wrong forum, then please feel free to move it.

I would also like to add that I live in New York, southern side of Lake Ontario, and to the east of the city of Rochester.

On that note, I would like to open with : "Moss always grows on the north side of trees"

Now, i know that moss doesn't ALWAYS grow on the north side of trees, or rocks, or anything else for that matter. What struck me as odd today though, that I never really noticed until this spring, was that none of the trees in my yard have moss growing on their north sides. Not all of the trees in my yard have moss on them. Not as many trees in my yard have had moss on them in the past years (maybe or 2 or 3). This year though, i counted at least six trees in my yard to have moss on them, and none of them have moss on the northern sides of them. In fact, they are all on the south side of these trees and some on the south-south-west on them.

So the main point I am trying to construe is..

1. Has anyone else noticed this in particular this year or years past that would corroborate or dismiss my (genuinely small) fears about this?

2. If, you have no evidence dismissing this as a normal anomaly, have had similar occurrences THIS YEAR and are willing to share, then please do.

I am also wondering if this might have anything to do with the supposed pole reversal. Its a long stretch, I know, but I'll at least put it out there

Thank you for taking your time to read this; Any posts on-topic are wholeheartedly welcome

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I live in a densely forested area , its just the begining of spring here though. I'm not sure the moss grows or moves during the winter months??

The trees here are so close together that there is normally quite a lot of it, I will look at a wide specimin when I walk my doggy later this evening in the woods and report back if there is anything to...

Peace.

O.K. I guess moss does continue to grow, all though much more slowlly
edit on 4-4-2011 by Treespeaker because: Can't spell worth beans

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The North facing sides of rocks and trees are likely to have more moisture because the intensity of sunlight reaching them is lower in Northern latitudes (especially in Summer). Therefore more moss can grow

Moss Habitat Wiki
edit on 4/4/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Correct, but I live in the northern latitudes. I know not VERY northern. I have seen moss on the northern side of trees and such before while living in this area. But this year they are all on the southern side.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

I hope you didnt mean to think i was saying the moss just suddenly moved from the northern side of these trees to the southern side! Usually all or any of the moss i see goes away around the end up summer in my area. I am more specifically speaking about the fact that the moss just grew on the southern sides of my trees this year

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Ahh my bad didn't read it properly

Maybe the moss is actually some kind of lichen with a mossy appearance and requires more intense sunlight to grow in? (They are known to compete with other plants to get access to sunlight so it would make sense that they would be South facing.)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

That might be true, It looks more like flaky algae rather than the fuzzy moss. Thank you for your replies
And if you would like i could take a picture of a few said trees.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Yeah grab a few pictures and we can try to identify it

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

So here are a few pictures of these trees...

First tree south side

#1 Tree Southside

Same tree north side
#1 Tree Northside

Second tree south side
#2 Tree Southside

Same second tree north side
#2 Tree Northside

Random tree with moss around the entire trunk for an up close view of said moss
#3 Tree Moss

I hope this helps identify what we are looking at

Cheers

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Definitly lichen! Quite amazing how it completely avoids the Northern side - must be a LOT less sunlight there

Found this on the Natural Navigator website:

There is a lichen that is pale green with dark speckles that I found on the southwestern side of beech trees too, most likely it is enjoying the rain-bearing winds from the southwest, but does not mind a bit of sun too.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Thank you for confirming that! I wasnt sure if it was a lichen or moss. Strange how it is on the southern side when the southern side is the side with the most sunlight and the least moisture. Hmm.. Oh well
thank you for your comments Fazza!

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If you're anywhere near the lake, the extremely high water table and it's yearly fluxuations will play a huge roll in the growth of moss. The winters the last few years are also a factor,,,I've lived in Monroe county for almost 40 years, and have watched the weather (Mainly in Webster at the lake) change a great deal in that time, anyone my age or older will agree. However, for what it's worth,,,if you look at Rochester's weather from the 1800's, and even the early 1900's, there were some pretty crazy weather,,,a tornado in downtown Rochester, what they called a "Mini Ice Age" when I was in school, I forgot the year(s), and others that shouldn't be hard to find if you're interested, the weather in the area has be jumping around since it's been recorded,,it's always been weird along the lake that way. Speaking of which, kinda sorta, not really,,I gotta ask,,are you familiar with ALL of the cool anomolies, myths, ledgends, history, and such between here, there, and south of us both? If I was a writer, there are dozens of things to write treads about,,,books if I really knew what I was doing. Anyways, if you are interested let me know, I'm newish so I don't know if you can contact me umtill I make 20 posts..

reply to post by scghst1

new topics

top topics

join