It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2007: US 'to build Libyan nuclear plant'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The US is to help Libya build its first-ever nuclear power plant according to the African nation's official news agency, Jana.

"Gaddafi's regime has become strong ally of America in its 'war on terror' ... supplying information about Islamic groups around the world that may prove a threat to the US."

english.aljazeera.net...

What has Gaddafi's regime done to fight the "war on terror"?....Was his military/police apperhending these "Al-Queda terrorists/insurgents" that were coming out of Eastern Libya?...

How quickly "friends" can become "enemies"... I think every Middle Eastern country, even though Libya is in Africa, has had US intervention at this level.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I had heard from Debka(through my brother) also that the Libyan rebels were giving Chemical Shells to Hamas/Hizballah...?
www.debka.com...

Nothing surprises me...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, this is from 4 years ago. For the last ten years Gaddafi has "changed his spots" so to speak, especially trying to repair his relationship with America and Europe. I'm sure his reasons were economic. The US had placed sanctions on Libya in the past for Gaddafi's terrorism ties (PanAm 103, German nightclub bombing, etc.) It was in the aftermath of 9/11 that he tried to "rehabilitate his image", when he evicted all the training camps linked to terrorism and tried to assassinate a terrorist leader he was in league with - I guess he was truly fearful of US reprisals. (See: The Libyan Terrorist: Muammar Qaddafi)

But in 2004 Bush lifted all those sanctions, and for US oil interests it was back to business as usual. Who cares about Gaddafi's terrorism ties and who he killed, it was all water under the bridge. Several US oil jumped at the chance to resume business, these were:

CONOCOPHILLIPS: 16.3% stake in Libya's Waha concessions, which encompass nearly 13 million gross acres. Net oil production from Libya averaged 45,000 barrels per day in 2009 -- or 2 percent of worldwide output.

MARATHON OIL CORP: 16% interest in the outside-operated Waha concessions; 46,000 bpd in 2009

HESS CORP: 22,000 bpd of crude from Libya, or 8 percent of its crude output.

OCCIDENTAL PETROLEUM CORP: Occidental, the fourth-largest U.S. oil company, earned $243 million in net sales from Libya in 2009.

Factbox: U.S. oil companies' interests in Libya

So why shouldn't the US also be building nuclear plants for Gaddafi? We clearly weren't worried about his past terrorism ties. A nuclear armed Gaddafi, who may or may not seek to export spent nuclear fuel abroad? Nothing to worry about, when there's money to be made.

The US is in heavily invested with Gaddafi, one of the reasons I find all these pet conspiracy theories that the US is orchestrating a "regime change" so laughable is that the US would be wiping out all it's recent investments.

join