It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if i burn a dvd will it make the video quality of the movie better???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
fellow BTSers i have another qustion...

i want to buy a good DVD burner BUT ONLY if the burned movie file has a better video quality than before...

i only want a DVD burner for this reason because i have NERO 6 and i can make VCDs...

so here is my question:

if i burn a dvd will it make the video quality of the movie better???

thanks...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I hope this helps some.
www.dvdhelp.com
If you are backing up your dvd's, you can use dvddecrypter for any disk 4.7 gig or under. you will get a exact duplicate of the dvd,no beter no worse,and it will play in your standalone dvd player as long as it suports dvd-+r,-+rw

you want to use another free program called dvd shrink for dvd over 4.7 gig
here you can take out differt sound tracts extra features or just make a copy of the movie only. this will compress the video down and make it fit onto the 4.7gig dvd. most of the newer movies are encrpted at a high bit rate, and you should notice no real difference in p/q
I backed up my copy of the 4 disk LOTR movies. I had a compression rate of about 60% and only had the dts-es sound track. I could not tell the diffeerence on my tv from the orignal or the copy. TV is a 48in hidef mits

I hope this helps, and if you need any help please feel free to u2u me

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfs4731
I hope this helps some.
www.dvdhelp.com
If you are backing up your dvd's, you can use dvddecrypter for any disk 4.7 gig or under. you will get a exact duplicate of the dvd,no beter no worse,and it will play in your standalone dvd player as long as it suports dvd-+r,-+rw

you want to use another free program called dvd shrink for dvd over 4.7 gig
here you can take out differt sound tracts extra features or just make a copy of the movie only. this will compress the video down and make it fit onto the 4.7gig dvd. most of the newer movies are encrpted at a high bit rate, and you should notice no real difference in p/q
I backed up my copy of the 4 disk LOTR movies. I had a compression rate of about 60% and only had the dts-es sound track. I could not tell the diffeerence on my tv from the orignal or the copy. TV is a 48in hidef mits

I hope this helps, and if you need any help please feel free to u2u me

what if a was not copying a dvd but putting a movie file on the DVD (r / rw) would the burning software make the quality of the original better???

thanks...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I do not believe so. when saving a movie file like this it is going to be the same quality as your original. All your doing is burning it like you would on a cdr. Putting it on a dvd wil only let you put more files on the disk.

just a question if i may.

If you are going to put out the money for a dvd burner to put movies on dvd, why would you burn to svcd-vcd? I can understand if you are looking at adding multipal movies, but if you are intrested in quality, look at copying your backups.

hope this answered you ? If i still havent answered it correctly please let me know and dumb your ? down more so maybe i can understand it

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gfs4731
I do not believe so. when saving a movie file like this it is going to be the same quality as your original. All your doing is burning it like you would on a cdr. Putting it on a dvd wil only let you put more files on the disk.

just a question if i may.

If you are going to put out the money for a dvd burner to put movies on dvd, why would you burn to svcd-vcd? I can understand if you are looking at adding multipal movies, but if you are intrested in quality, look at copying your backups.

hope this answered you ? If i still havent answered it correctly please let me know and dumb your ? down more so maybe i can understand it

you may ask a question

i was saying NOW i make VCDs BUT if i get that DVD burner i will NOT any more...

what does:

"but if you are intrested in quality, look at copying your backups." mean???

thanks...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
My bad, I dont word things properly.
what i was trying to say is that if you want dvd quality dont make a vcd, make a duplicate of you original. You can take any dvd you have, burn a copy of it and the quality will be exact as original if it is 4.7 gig or less.Bigger disks you may loose some quality, but with dvd shrink you should not be able to tell a difference.

For best quality you would go 1 movie 1 blank dvd, but i have heard of people putting more than 1 movie on a dvd, but they brought the quality way down.

if you by the dvd burner, you will not be disapointed with what you make.
I wish i could tell you that by putting a mov or mpeg file on a dvd would make it look better, but it wont. you wont regret getting a burner though of you want to back up your collection

Good luck, and if i can help you in any way, give me a hollar.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The quality will be the same if not a tad worse, regardless of the medium. If you wanted a 'higher' quality movie on a burned DVD, then you would have to re-capture your movie in question, then compress it with less restrictive options, since your intened medium is dvd and not compact disc. for example:

An Avi or mpg file compressed at 900 Kb/s returns ok quality using the DivX codec. The file size is 675 Megabytes after compression. Awesome it will fit on either medium.

An Avi or mpg file compressed at 2000 Kb/s returns better quality when captured since there is more data being packed in to describe things better, however the resulting file size will be quite different. Probably around 1.75 Gigs. Way too large for a compact disc (unless you chop it up and copy to multiple cd's), however it will work just fine on a Dvd.

If you want better quality, you will need to recapture your video file from source. The one that is already been made to fit on a cd, will not be any better on a Dvd. Hope that clears things up a bit. :-)

top topics

join