It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO bombs the only Libyan nuclear reactor... no word yet on fallout

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Seriously. This is sick. Japan's nuclear catastrophe wasn't enough?

NATO aircraft bombing hospitals in Libya
(In polish) Google translation :

The village was destroyed Tadjourah used for civilian purposes nuclear reactor. Libya bombed the largest in the Institute of Cardiology, where he treated children. "He broke down the roof, bearing walls, fragments of projectiles and hit the doors and windows in a small body of our unfortunate patients, their mother died with them" - Learn from Russian doctors.

The article isn't very clear...but it seems to say that the center for nuclear research with the nuclear research reactor has been destroyed.

And Libya does indeed have a nuclear reactor.
Libya moving forward with nuclear power plans

The north African country already has a Russian 10 MWt research reactor, which has been operating since 1981 and is under International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safeguards. France, Argentina, Ukraine and Russia have all signed agreements on the peaceful use of nuclear energy with Libya since its voluntary decision to halt a clandestine uranium enrichment program and fully open itself to IAEA inspections in 2003. Canada has also signed a memorandum of understanding with the country.

Tajoura is a city in Libya, in the Tajura Wa Al Nawahi AlArba' Municipality. It is the center of Libya's nuclear research, with a 10 megawatt reactor beginning use in 1983.

It's a pool-type reactor.

A common design (67 units) is the pool type reactor, where the core is a cluster of fuel elements sitting in a large pool of water. Among the fuel elements are control rods and empty channels for experimental materials. Each element comprises several (e.g. 18) curved aluminium-clad fuel plates in a vertical box. The water both moderates and cools the reactor, and graphite or beryllium is generally used for the reflector, although other materials may also be used. Apertures to access the neutron beams are set in the wall of the pool.

And of course, there's almost NO CHANCES you'll EVER see that on western MSM.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
dual purpose nuke plant and cardiology office? Hmmm.
Sad about the bombing but Libya needs to be stripped of its nuclear capabilities now, along with Egypt if they have it, while we can do it.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Volund because: Not a power plant

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The country is at war my friend. What do you expect. Don't blame NATO, Blame Quadaffi. If NATO were not doing anything, this dictator would of had most of his country murdered. I agree though, NATO have done more than what was expected of them and they need to get the hell out of their and let the Libyans sort their own mess out.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Good point. Those treaties go null when his government goes away.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hmmm........... Don't Blame NATO!!

Who do u think started this conflict in Libya? The New World Order and their One World Army aka NATO have been planning to invade Libya for ages. All they needed was an excuse to invade. And Gadaffi killing his people is the excuse.

This has been orchestrated. This is for the NWO to grab the oil and minerals from Libya. It has nothing to do with the fact that Gadaffi is killing his people by order of the UN I might add. Dragon lady Clinton and co have killed far more innocent people in the world than Hitler. And they continue to kill innocents all over the world.

And to bomb a Nuclear Reactor, well that's just the icing on the cake.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volund
Sad about the bombing but Libya needs to be stripped of its nuclear capabilities now, along with Egypt if they have it, while we can do it.

Who the hell are you to tell what Libya can and cannot do with their nuclear reactors? They can have as many as they want for all I care. You have no right telling another country what to do.

I think this may have been one of the reasons that CIA teams were their. Gadaffi is the new saddam.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
WTF?
Have the leaders of our military gone into shell shock?
This is totally wrong let alone stupid! It is long past time to strip these madmen of their authority.Its obvious that we have a bunch of psychotic personalities running the world.
The NATO orgaanisation should be disbanded.
They are the real terrorists.
How much more death and destruction will we allow them to rain down on the people they were sent to save and protect?
There is nothing but greed and perversion in high opffice anymore.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volund

what is your problem? dont you have enough radioactivity in the northern hemisphere already? you do realize that the US and britain use depleted uranium in bullets and shells and have done so for years? do you support phsycopaths? was japan not enough for you? do you want bulk release?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I have only one question: why would one of the world's major oil suppliers need a nuclear reactor?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
CNN just gave their morning report on Libya; no mention of this town (it's just east of Tripoli).

I haven't found any other source yet on this, so I'm reserving judgment for the moment. Also note that the article said the village was destroyed (horrible I know) but it didn't specifically say that the reactor was hit at all.

I'd like to see some other source (besides the one other site that translated and pasted the Polish article) on this.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I wonder who will pay the bills to rebuild all the civilian infrastructure that has been destroyed in this country. I think this war is illegal, and I never supported it.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS1965
I have only one question: why would one of the world's major oil suppliers need a nuclear reactor?

For all kind of purposes.

Research reactors have a wide range of uses, including analysis and testing of materials, and production of radioisotopes. Their capabilities are applied in many fields, within the nuclear industry as well as in fusion research, environmental science, advanced materials development, drug design and nuclear medicine.

For science. For medicine. For nuclear engineering. For energy research.

And why shouldn't ``oil suppliers`` be allowed to have nuclear energy to sell more oil? Wouldn't that be their right?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Volund

why is that? Another country that does not stand up to the American-NATO-EU Norm?

As for me i am tired of watching this planet being a means to kill the masses, and not a way to better the masses

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

So putting in a no fly zone was meant for what? To stop the Libyan military using their air force/tanks etc against an opposition running around with RPGs etc. Have they stopped them? If they have they have done their job and need to get out. Why are they still their? The UN,NATO are a joke.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Libya does not have a 'research' reactor. It is a power generator. It does, however, have the capability to enrich Uranium.

Gaddafi was warned recently to stop development of nuclear bomb production. He claimed that he had done so.

If our forces have taken out this reactor it suggest that we didn't believe that he had done so.

Regardless... we shouldn't allow a fruitcake to dabble in nuclear stuff whatever his claimed reason for doing so.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Seriously. This is sick. Japan's nuclear catastrophe wasn't enough?

NATO aircraft bombing hospitals in Libya
(In polish) Google translation :

The village was destroyed Tadjourah used for civilian purposes nuclear reactor. Libya bombed the largest in the Institute of Cardiology, where he treated children. "He broke down the roof, bearing walls, fragments of projectiles and hit the doors and windows in a small body of our unfortunate patients, their mother died with them" - Learn from Russian doctors.

The article isn't very clear...but it seems to say that the center for nuclear research with the nuclear research reactor has been destroyed.

And Libya does indeed have a nuclear reactor.
Libya moving forward with nuclear power plans

The north African country already has a Russian 10 MWt research reactor, which has been operating since 1981 and is under International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safeguards. France, Argentina, Ukraine and Russia have all signed agreements on the peaceful use of nuclear energy with Libya since its voluntary decision to halt a clandestine uranium enrichment program and fully open itself to IAEA inspections in 2003. Canada has also signed a memorandum of understanding with the country.

Tajoura is a city in Libya, in the Tajura Wa Al Nawahi AlArba' Municipality. It is the center of Libya's nuclear research, with a 10 megawatt reactor beginning use in 1983.

It's a pool-type reactor.

A common design (67 units) is the pool type reactor, where the core is a cluster of fuel elements sitting in a large pool of water. Among the fuel elements are control rods and empty channels for experimental materials. Each element comprises several (e.g. 18) curved aluminium-clad fuel plates in a vertical box. The water both moderates and cools the reactor, and graphite or beryllium is generally used for the reflector, although other materials may also be used. Apertures to access the neutron beams are set in the wall of the pool.

And of course, there's almost NO CHANCES you'll EVER see that on western MSM.

JUST HOW ##CKED UP CAN PEOPLE BE!? WTF??? WTF????!!!????!!!!!!!!!!

THESE [snip] HAVE LOST THEIR GDDM MINDS!!!!! WTF!!??!!!!
edit on 4-4-2011 by Davian because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 4/4/11 by argentus because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by orangutang

sorry but the uk has abandonedALL D.U. ODINANCE INCLUDING ROUNDS
I'M GETTING TIRED OF PEOPLE THROWING THE D.U. MUD BALL AT THE UK
LISTEN UK FORCES NO LONGER USE DEPLEATED URANIUM !
cant say about U.S. but uk definately.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Wow. The negative feedback I get from saying that we should use this opportunity to get rid of their reactor... I don't mean by bombing it. Ok then, let them have it so they can all blow each other up and we can be done with them. A true democracy will probably elect militant sharia law types eager to share that technology after they pay people to figure it out for them with all the oil money to back them up, and there are greedy people who will jump on that and call it "opportunity". Keep your eyes on your monitor, you'll be safe, I promise.
edit on 4-4-2011 by Volund because: thank a veteran.

edit on 4-4-2011 by Volund because: have a nice day

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MiTS1965

If our forces have taken out this reactor it suggest that we didn't believe that he had done so.

but what right do people who can enrich uranium have to tell others they are not allowed?

the way i see it is the bullies using sticks on the playground do not want the other kids aquiring sticks, therefore the bullies can threaten and control the rest of the kids because they have a big advantage and do not want a level playing field.

in this case though i doubt many would feel comfortable with gaddafi having that capability, but even still, it is the way it works. i am sure america would feel the same if china suddenly decided that america should not be allowed to have something. then we would hear screams of "this is our country! you have no right to tell us what we can do or cannot have"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join