It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another ad thread... I feel harassed though.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Recently i was looking for a gaming headset for my sister to give her boyfriend. I was just looking around googling blah blah blah.
Then i went to the Astro Gaming website, www.astrogaming.com... I looked at their stuff, but didn't get what i needed, well the price isn't what i needed. Then i stopped and went onto ATS. A

T LEAST 10 DIFFERENT CLICKS IN A ROW/ AS IN 10 DIFFERENT PLACES I WENT TO, all had the Astro Ad on the top. Any computer geeks know what could be causing this? I visit the place and now they have my.. ip address?.. a cookie of some sort? What could be causing this? I feel harassed. I want my old annoying bird or shooting duck ads bad :[ Well i actually just wanted to know what is causing this.. if anyone could help.
Thanks.

Btw my specs are.. Ubuntu 10.04 and my browser is Opera 11.01

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Hmm i use opera and i never see advertisements for anything except on facebook those sneaky side ad's are unblockable!! on opera it seems. Just right click the screen and hit block content and it should then block everything. I think in the settings somewhere you can preload a list of sites and it will auto block them on any site you visit.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Yus yus there are ad blockers, and content blockers but that is against ATS rules

Either way i just want to know so i get a better understanding of information hehe xD

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Yeah i have to block ad's on my phone otherwise it bugs out and it wont let me scroll a page if a full screen ad is displayed because clicking to scroll clicks the ad and loads it >.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Either way i just want to know so i get a better understanding of information hehe
Well I recently made a thread which highlighted just how easy it can be to get your IP. I think lots of advertising companies use sneaky techniques like this to track your IP every where you go.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

Either way i just want to know so i get a better understanding of information hehe
Well I recently made a thread which highlighted just how easy it can be to get your IP. I think lots of advertising companies use sneaky techniques like this to track your IP every where you go.

The internet is evolving faster than i can keep up with :|

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

The internet is evolving faster than i can keep up with :|
Well, you really need to understand PHP to properly understand what I'm talking about. In basic terms, an image embedded onto an ATS post could log details about you, I see no reason why advertisers wouldn't use similar techniques in their adverts.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Hey guys I am an internet marketer and will tell you how it works.

When you visit certain websites it drops a cookie on your computer. This cookie tells their advertising partners Hey! this person landed on our website. It will then show ads of that website you visited on websites that serve ads from these companies.

The method is called Re-Targeting. It's a new form of getting targeted customers. Imagine how well this works because now everywhere you go you are reminded about their website and it feels more trusted because you will see it everywhere.

Hope this explains it for you.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

edit on 10-4-2011 by reticlevision because: momentarliy mentally challenged

edit on 10-4-2011 by reticlevision because: time travel

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by reticlevision

Interesting...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

Originally posted by reticlevision

Interesting...

and insightful!!!
Run Bleachbit, it's in the repos and available through Synaptic
Should keep the site from following you everywhere and pushing ads to your buntu box.
Can also check , in Opera , under Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Cookies and select "delete new Cookies when Opera exits" as well as numerous other tin-foil hat settings, and then again, under Tools select Delete Private Data and clear all stored cookies from there.
edit on 11-4-2011 by reticlevision because: I forget things

new topics

top topics

join