It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing your group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
In any survival situation the people that you are with can make all of the difference. If you don't have the people you need you probably won't survive. Describe your ideal group of people, from the number to their skill set, as well as any equipment they bring to the table, you should list yourself in the group. You can use names or not, that is unimportant. Make sure you have a realistic group of people that you could or would be with, more than one group is acceptable.

For example I have two completely different groups. Here (at college) I would have my neighbors. I would bring some weapons, knowledge of weapons and use of them, but the weapons I supply would all be small time, at least to start. I also know some (limited) first aid and have some skill at hunting, and scavenging. Matt is in good shape and would probably be the overall leader of the group. Gaffy is smart but relatively unskilled and out of shape. Danesh is in fairly good shape, smart, and moderatly skilled. John is smart, fit, and brings some potentially useful knowldge to the situation, as well as a vehicle. Eric and Nate are relative unknowns. It is uncertain who else would join us. (This assumes during the week while at college) Limited equipment and supplies, wouldn't last long.

At home, me my mom and brother, plus our neighbors would probably all be working togeather. Lots of fishing equipment, kyaks and other water related things, as well as many vehicles and potentially weapons.
Key figures include:
Patty, nurse in shape
Matt carpenter in shape
Tom, jack of all trades
Steve, cook
Many gardens that could be converted to grow hierloom plants, as well as watever non heirlooms we have. Lots of tools and supplies, not sure how long they would last.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is funny! I was just informally invited to a group today! Some of my extended family members are very prepared with plans in place and objectives to be achieved as a group!

1. My mother: The Green thumb. Always sharp survival skills.
2. My cousin: Hunter, survivalist, strong healthy back.
3 My cousins wife: Nurse, intuitive, nurturing, some physic ability
4. My cousins wife's son: Planner, survivalist, great physic ability
5 My self: General survivalist knowledge, Empathic capability, some physic ability
This is the knowledge i have of "our "group as in the contributing/planning potion of them. There will be the kids of course! the whole reason for the preparation. Our future! Our kids
Then there would be some other family members that may accompany us if willing to uproot and contribute to the over all group! I was kinda lost b4 today. Knowing something could happen anytime but not "really" knowing what I was going to do is scary. I have much to learn about the group. But I have one now! Best part is, I feel this has all been coming together in perfect form since I was a little kid. Always been a "survivor". I seem to have known at a young age that I was on earth for a very special reason! Know I know what it is! Great post! S&F

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
My ideal group would include people who can do the following:
Lead a group
Moderate a group
Handle weapons for hunting/self defense
Tracking and scouting
Cooking
Gardening
Forage wild edible and medicinal plants
Medical first responder
Dental work
All around mechanic/fix it all person
Animal husbandry
Cut and harvest firewood
Tan animal hides
Make clothing and shoes
If there is no electricity we'll have to entertain ourselves - musicians, storytellers

Those seem to be the major skills needed to me.
What's missing?
edit on 4-4-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Picking a group of people to survive with seems to me a very important first step to actually surviving. I'd want some very well grounded, cooperative and mentally/emotionally tough folks of the same sort you guys listed. The more skills the better all around.

One thing is, until someone faces a "test of fire", even the most seemingly tough person can crack. I would think any scenario which places a group of men and women in survival mode might prove too traumatic for some; but what choice is there? You can't guarantee how anyone will react until the sky actually IS falling.

That said, getting organized before the SHTF is a major necessity.

Whether the group votes in leaders in important areas such as food procurement or defense, or whatever model of self-governance the group follows, it's important to nail all that down before it is needed.

If your group gets ambushed by parasites, there will be no time to take a vote on what to do; everyone needs a clear understanding of who has the best skills to deal with such an assault.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Your list is a little vague, try to think of people you know that would fill these skill requirements. also, You could be aided by ensuring that more than one person has a particular skill set.

reply to post by mydarkpassenger

You have a good point and but would you list a group or even a list of skillsets?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Everybody on here pretty well summed it up.

Notice how religious figures don't even make the lists? I wouldn't mind having a couple of strong mormons though; they are right up on survivalist matters, and it's a ready built survivalist infrastructure my group could ally with.

Woodscraft, shooting, medical, gardening. And all sorts of tinkerers and jacks of all trades, from electrical to light engineering would be handy, as would a chemist and an armorer.

With those two, the chemist and an armorer, heavy weapons could be made and the group wouldn't have to worry too much about raiders. I'd say a couple of 5-pounders with grape or chain shot would do nicely.

ALMOST FORGOT!

The most important members of the group would be a bunch of "Redshirts" to spring any traps before the main body of the group could get caught.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
How do you find a group? I don't really know anyone where I'm located.
Thank you for your information.

Ektar

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

For the most part that just means to talk to friends and family and have contingency plans in place. I have I couple of friends that I've talked to, but other than the I don't really have any advice for you.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

My military buddies and I have planned out some SHTF scenarios and were we would meet up and settle at. We've all had survival training and medical training. So the most desired skill sets to me would be:

Carpenter/Engineer (usually they have both)
Mechanic
Jack of all trades tinkerer
Most importantly someone who knows the area better than me. Chances are relocating will be a must to avoid brigand types. Every environment has its own different required skillsets, pitfalls, wildlife, etc. Having someone intimately familiar with the area is always the most useful in my opinion

new topics

top topics

join