It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost for 2,000 years... Could this be the first portrait of Jesus?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Lost for 2,000 years... Could this be the first portrait of Jesus?

www.dailymail.co.uk

After 2,000 years buried within a cave in the Holy Land, the features are barely distinct as that of a human face.

But Bible historians are trying to determine whether this is the first ever portrait of Jesus Christ.

They are investigating whether the picture, which can still just about be seen to depict a man wearing a crown of thorns, was created in Jesus’s lifetime by those who knew him

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
After 2,000 years buried within a cave in the Holy Land, the features are barely distinct as that of a human face.Discovery: The cave in Jordan where the metal books where found

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
sound like a good find.....................

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I thought research had shown Jesus was a short man. I believe he also had a shaven head as a Nazarite?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

shaven head? really

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Looks more like a lion than a human face.
Either that or he had a HUGE nose...

+32 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
just because something is old does not make it jesus. thats like saying a 50 year old afro comb found in a bush must belong to jimmy hendrix.
edit on 3-4-2011 by lewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i have posted in other threads that i really dont believe that this is actual records or evidence or even a real portait of jesus...i believe it to be likebooks you find in todays sunday schools...something for children and other people that didnt know the stories of jesus to be taught and shown the idea of "the saviour"

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

The most convincing evidence that the books are Christian is that one plate appears to show a map of the holy city of Jerusalem featuring crosses outside the city walls.

And one phrase in the booklets appears to read ‘Saviour of Israel’ in ancient Hebrew

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bob33

shaven head? really
Yes.......Are you familiar with customs of the Nazarites??

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

My thoughts exactly. Not a very flattering picture for the son of god.

With the pull he has, you would think they could've gotten a decent headshot.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Anyone have the ability to get a negative of this pic? I'm seeing a general face, but something is just a little off. Be nice to check for alien features.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

come on guys you got to think of what it would have been like back then im sure there were no photoshop back then lol, i think its just amazing how old it is , theres a bit of evidence there if it was one of the disciples that did it im sure they didnt have much resources to do things.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

I saw a PBS special that showed a rendering of what Jesus probably looked like based on the general physical traits of men at that time in the middle east, and Jesus bore an uncanny resemblance to Mel Brooks.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Wasn't Jesus still alive 2000 years ago (11 AD)? He hadn't even started his cult yet. But I'm guessing 2000 years is a best guess.

Maybe it's Mithra? The legend of Jesus borrowed alot from the cult of Mithra didn't they? It's not impossible that some Romans worshiped Mithra in that area. But I guess that language isn't Latin so probably not.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
wow i just seen this on facebook like an hour ago
was wondering if it had been posted here
intersesting to say the least will read through your links then reply what i think

thanks

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yes.......Are you familiar with customs of the Nazarites??

Nazirites only shaved their heads after the time of their vow was fulfilled:

Num 6:1 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
Num 6:2 "Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, When either a man or a woman makes a special vow, the vow of a Nazirite, to separate himself to the LORD,
Num 6:3 he shall separate himself from wine and strong drink. He shall drink no vinegar made from wine or strong drink and shall not drink any juice of grapes or eat grapes, fresh or dried.
Num 6:4 All the days of his separation he shall eat nothing that is produced by the grapevine, not even the seeds or the skins.
Num 6:5 "All the days of his vow of separation, no razor shall touch his head. Until the time is completed for which he separates himself to the LORD, he shall be holy. He shall let the locks of hair of his head grow long.
Num 6:13 "And this is the law for the Nazirite, when the time of his separation has been completed: he shall be brought to the entrance of the tent of meeting,
Num 6:14 and he shall bring his gift to the LORD, one male lamb a year old without blemish for a burnt offering, and one ewe lamb a year old without blemish as a sin offering, and one ram without blemish as a peace offering,
Num 6:15 and a basket of unleavened bread, loaves of fine flour mixed with oil, and unleavened wafers smeared with oil, and their grain offering and their drink offerings.
Num 6:16 And the priest shall bring them before the LORD and offer his sin offering and his burnt offering,
Num 6:17 and he shall offer the ram as a sacrifice of peace offering to the LORD, with the basket of unleavened bread. The priest shall offer also its grain offering and its drink offering.
Num 6:18 And the Nazirite shall shave his consecrated head at the entrance of the tent of meeting and shall take the hair from his consecrated head and put it on the fire that is under the sacrifice of the peace offering.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
well something this old found in a cave has to be of some significant...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
just because something is old does not make it jesus. thats like saying a 50 year old afro comb found in a bush must belong to jimmy hendrix.
edit on 3-4-2011 by lewman because: (no reason given)

Yes and no. These books are supposedly the first Bible ever or something like that. So it is a good reasonably guess that it is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join