It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronal explosion 10x the size of the sun.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

NASA twin STEREO spacecraft observed a spectacular coronal mass ejection launched from the vicinity of decaying sunspot 1176 on April 3rd around 0500 UT. The blast was not Earth directed. Nevertheless, there is a chance that the expanding cloud will deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on or about April 6th

www.spaceweather.com...

Were fortunate this time folks.

:-)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

You might want to take a look at these images also

stereo.ssl.berkeley.edu...

stereo.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Best wishes¡
edit on 4-4-2011 by bluedreams because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
U.S.G.S. showing Javanese quake @ 6.7 on April 3rd...

Where'd 7.1 come from lol....??

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
thats scary, well everything happens for a reason, lets hope this is the universes way of sparking genetic evolution in a good way for most if any

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Im not an expert, in fact only just started flowing this type of event. However to me the ejection looked truley huge ,is it normal are there larger ones.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It is not earth directed.

NASA twin STEREO spacecraft observed a spectacular coronal mass ejection launched from the vicinity of decaying sunspot 1176 on April 3rd around 0500 UT. The blast was not Earth directed. Nevertheless, there is a chance that the expanding cloud will deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on or about April 6th. CME movies

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
the line above the video said it was earth directed!
doh'
ah but a post above mine ways it wasnt.
whew!
edit on 4-4-2011 by The Benevolent Adversary because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
So I take it...it is earth directed just not enough to fully hit us dead on great.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Out of curiosity, where are we getting the "10x" figure from? There's nothing in the OP that states anything about the actual size of the CE. Aside from the C class it has been given, I see nothing verifying your claims of "10x the size of the sun." In fact, nothing in the videos show anything remotely close to what is being described. Am I missing something, or are you over-exaggerating?

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Why is this on the Frontpage while there was a thread about that yesterday? abovetopsecret.com...

Any Moderation on this site?!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Just as an addition to the information already provided by another poster, there is more to it than what class of emission is being cast off.
In order to ascertain the danger presented by a CME or any other solar activity, it is important to know also which direction particle emission is traveling in. Space is of course, rather large, and such incidents can occur very easily without even scuffing our atmosphere. Consider for a moment the size of our planet. The Earth is , near as damnit, 40,000 kilometers, or 29,400 miles around its fattest part, the equator. Its total surface area is roughly 500,000,000 kilometers. That , one would have thought, presents quite a sizeable target. However, the Sun is 4,379,000 km in circumference, and ITS surface area is 6,078,747,774,547 km2.
Now, imagine that you are a CME. I know, its hard, but have a crack. You can be anything from the size of North America, (pretty small) to many times the size of our planet (pretty big) But staring out at the void of space, from any one of those 6,078,747,774,547 square kilometers, you can see just how easy it would be to miss the insignificant speck of the Earth. You might start your journey from the other side of the sun for instance, or head straight out of the top of the sun, or what we percieve as the bottom, the left , the right, and all the myriad variations therein, and STILL not hit this planet.
In actual fact, the sheer size of a CME or other solar incident is of almost zero consequence. The only important factor where such things are concerned is this:

Is the emission of matter from the sun, somehow pointing directly at this tiny little dot we call a world, rather than being pointed at any other region of space. Lets face it, theres more space than Earth, so its easy to see from a stand point of probability how these things completely miss us pretty often !

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Look at the entire period.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I hear at best we will get a glancing blow but I think that the thing notice here is how long this thing lasted. Basically that eruption lasted for hours.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Heres the sun, jupiter and earth to scale:

Can you imagine if that flare was directed at us! holy cow!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
whoah, that looked like as if the sun just let it rip (if you know what I mean)

still, hope it doesn't affect the earth anytime soon!

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Nice picture. If this things heads towards Earth, we could be in for a bumpy ride. Would this have any effect on earthquakes?

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
A powerful direct hit from a CME can destroy the protective ozone layer thus ending life for the most part on earth. In other words a CME can equal an ELE under the right conditions. People in Australia might want to only come out at night for a while.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Not normally suspicious or anything,but when I went to watch it the number of views was 666. the link I went to was

just wondering if anyone else was getting a new number

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Attrei

I noticed that too, its still 666 been like for nearly 2 hours...

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'll admit I've made the date mistake before. You really got my hopes up OP that the end was near.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join