It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Losing Battle: Why “CALIENTE!” Needs To Be Stamped On Our Coffee Cup Lids

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
English is not the official language of the United States. People are welcome live freely as they please. Why do you hate freedom?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
What! You only got English and Spanish languages to contend with. Come to England. All hospitals and most municipal buildings have signage in several languages English, Farsi, Hindi, Urdu and a few others I dont even recognise. Think yourselves lucky like when anyone here wants to talk to any bank or energy advisors the calls are answered somewhere in India. Now it might be alright talking to a regular non- English speaker face to face but wait till you try it over a phone. Quite lately when phone canvasers(mostly from India)trying to sell you something or do a survey must have been instructed, on initial contact, to say their name is colin or stuart or any other regular English name. But coming from someone sounding like a Singh or a Patel is very very off putting to say the least.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouDeserveToKnow
Dear White People

Don't you just hate Immigrants?

- Native Americans

Funny thing is, Europeans are the Native Americans now a day's.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Funny thing is, Europeans are the Native Americans now a day's.

Immigrants are committing genocide on Americans?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

I don't know what country you think you're living in, but the United States of America was built from the ground up by all different kinds of races and cultures of people. We are the melting pot of this world. I understand you're upset, but the motto of this website is "Deny Ignorance", and being biased towards or against any group of people is ignorance at its fullest. You need a serious reality check dude.
edit on 3-4-2011 by SamTGonzalez because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Spanish is alright with me.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The part that you dont seem to be understanding is that Corporate America has many different languages and all begin with $ and end with $ whatever is in between (add the language of your choice) is not their concern.. If you on a personal note are not happy with the paper or lids or whatever having more then one language, then maybe you can copy and paste this, and send it McDonald's, and Sears, because unless they change it, there is nothing else anyone can do about it.

No one in a corporation gives a darn how you feel about their policies or practices, they want your $$, to them you are no race, no culture, no language, and the only color they are concerned with is GREEN.

Peace, NRE.
edit on 3-4-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: spell check

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The U.S.A. seems very corporation dominated. If they can market directly to immigrants in their native tongue, well nothing is going to stop them. Although it's likely they are not catering soley for consumers, but for their cheap employees too. Seems as though North America will become officially bilingual before long. Are you accused of racism if you protest?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Personally after reading the first few paragraphs of the post I realized that you're a huge *snip*. Normally I would say "You move here, learn English!" but you sound like such a *snip* that it makes me want to support Spanish warnings, signs, instructions, etc. Why not add Scandinavian, Russian, and Swahili while we're at it.

Sorry buddy, but you deserve all the Spanish you get in life
edit on 3-4-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Really good post...never thought of getting frustrated with the corporations...nice post

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Also, look at this way - in order to get "Caliente" off of your coffee cup you're going to have to either stop Spanish speaking people from eating at McDonald's or get McDonald's to stop serving Spanish speakers and making millions of dollars from them. Either way, that **** ain't gonna happen, get over it

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

here's the answer to your question:

“Ryan! What the hell country are we in?” “Last time I checked, it was the U. S. of A,” he calls to me over his shoulder

We live in the USA, which is a melting pot of all different kinds of cultures. Unless you are pure blood native american your great great grandparents were immigrants too.

Also McDonalds made a very smart decision... if they didn't do that they might be sued a second time from a spanish speaking person.

Yeah I know its stupid. But that's America!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Lots of good points in this thread. I thought this was going to be a "the coffee is too hot at McDonald's / Dunkin Donuts" thread. The OP's main point, 'follow the money', really is the essence of what the corporation of USA is all about.

I appreciate that you made an effort to learn some phrases in another language before traveling abroad. It's good to avoid the Ugly American cliches whenever possible. Many times I have heard "When in Rome, do as the Romans". Makes sense to me.

Many times I've wondered how LEO's contend with the frustration of people who don't speak English, or as I suspect more often, pretend like they don't speak English. I've been in plenty of stores where you can't get a reply but you'll hear plenty of new-found English if you put the wrong money on the counter.

Common sense dictates the need to communicate with those where you choose to live. Emergencies happen; people need to get things across to each other. Its simple as that. It's wonderful that America is such a diversified melting pot. But when you can't understand what someone is saying to you, it's like caveman days all over again. That is just silly.

These are the times we are living in. Common sense is rare as super-powers. I never met an atheist in my life but I seem them now all over the 'net, its very hip to abandon religion now. TPTB tell us one thing and do another, and the Federal Reserve leads us into debt instead of boom times. I wonder whats next.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
With so many languages being spoken by different cultures, english is the one language that ties us all together. The spanish speaking population is the only one being catered to, not our africans, asians, germans or anyone else. There are spanish signs everywhere and now in many places you are required to be bilingual and speak spanish just to get hired for a job. In order to become legal here in America, english is required, yet with the overwhelming number of illegal immigrants as well as those who just plain refuse to speak english, our country is changing.

So like what, do we now force all our immigrants who are going through the proper channels to learn english AND spanish? That's bull! All other cultures have come here with respect and learned the language. Many legal spanish speaking immigrants also believe that english should be spoken here. We didn't leave our country! They left theirs!

America is now fighting for english to be the oficial language when we never had to do this before.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

There is a bill coming up that will make english the primary language. There is no excuse for America to cater to just the spanish speaking population when we have so many cultures here and they all know, understand and speak english.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
If I owned a coffee buisness in a state like california, hot would be printed in multiple languages. As much as I agree that people should have a responsibility to learn the language of the land they are living in, I sure as hell won't take that risk. Mcdonalds is smart for doing it. All it takes is for one bad lawsuit and it's game over. The problem here isn't mcdonalds printing multiple languages, it's the legal system that rewards stupid people of all languages.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

All I see is another attempt to stir up the jingoistic bots on ATS.

Oh no, a word is in Spanish! Quick, call the U.S Language Police! Someone's using Spanish! Terrorist!

What I see is a non-issue. English is NOT the official language of the U.S. Plenty of other countries are bilingual too. Do you hear them pissing and moaning?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Maybe when McDonald's and Sears were discussing there changes to their lids, and or isle's, then researched a bit and found some interesting tidbits about how to make more money, and who to cater too.

According to 2006 census data, 44.3 million people of the U.S. population were Hispanic or Latino by origin;[103] 34 million people, 12.2 percent, of the population more than five years old speak Spanish at home.[104] Spanish has a long history in the United States because many south-western states were part of Mexico, and Florida was also part of Spain, and it recently has been revitalized by Hispanic immigrants. Spanish is the most widely taught language in the country after English. Although the United States has no formally designated "official languages," Spanish is formally recognized at the state level in various states in addition to English; in the U.S. state of New Mexico for instance, 40% of the population speaks the language. It also has strong influence in metropolitan areas such as Los Angeles, Miami, San Antonio, New York City, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Chicago and in the last decade, the language has rapidly expanded in Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Phoenix, Richmond, Washington, DC, and Missouri. Spanish is the dominant spoken language in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory. With a total of 33,701,181 Spanish (Castilian) speakers, according to US Census Bureau,[105] the U.S. has the world's second-largest Spanish-speaking population.[106] Spanish ranks second, behind English, as the language spoken most widely at home.

I wonder if any of the stats helped them make their decision.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rbilly001

If you are an American traveling abroad, would you bother to learn the language of the country you are visiting?

I bet you wouldn't and you know why? Because people in other countries usually can speak English, even if it isn't perfect.

We expect others in foreign countries to speak our language but we take offense when they don't speak it here.

See what I'm getting at? Just another non-issue.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
As an American I found your post to be funny, but as an Expat Chef it was a but insensitive. I have lived in Moscow for 4 years and then moved to Portugal, and most recently the Philippines. What makes you think the people who come to America are not trying to learn English? Have you ever considered that maybe they are afraid to speak up in public the little English they are practicing for fear that a small minded, redneck, insensitive American might mock them for not speaking properly.

I can say I was the foremost Redneck when I was stateside, demanding all "foreigners" speak English. I never realized how ridiculous of a demand that is. When I moved to Russia I quickly realized how rude I had been. But whats funny was there were no Russians running around beating there chests demanding I speak Russian. They were very kind and considerate, helping me to learn the language and not laughing when I didnt pronounce something right, The positive experience of that helped me to learn Russian very quickly. Now I speak fluent Russian. Married to a Filipina now, I am also learning to speak Tagalog.

So the next time you run around beating your chest, getting upset over someone not speaking our language, put yourself in the shoes of that person. Maybe you would feel differently. Cheers mate

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join