It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Use Hypnosis To Stop Smoking ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Theres a few people in my family that i would like to make non-smokers, but the problem is they havnt got the will power to do so. Then i decided to google 'stop smoking', and it came up with some intresting sites that claimed that they could make you a non-smoker through hypnosis.

Does anyone have any experiance with this, as i would like to know before i recomend it to family members. Thanks.

Oh, and here are some sites:

Link
Link
Link

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
yes you vcan stop smoking through hypnosis. It can help indeed.

go and visit *warning* adult content* www.warpmymind.com and look at the self help files section. Stop smoking willl be in there. You can download it, rip it to cd's, etc.

2 other good files to help get epopel einto trance easier are Deepening and train Susceptibility...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have two friends who quit through hypnosis. I tried hypnosis, accupuncture, and finally succeeded cold turkey. This isn't to downplay the value of hypnosis or accupuncture. I think it can really help some people. The only caveat is this :if it doesn't work, there needs to be a backup plan or you will often decide "Well, I just can't quit." (that was my reasoning)
joey

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hypnosis failed me twice so far and acupuncture is my next attempt. I do know 2 people who quit with hypnosis though.

Yes, the bottom line is there is no one thing that is guaranteed to work for everyone, even though I've tried quite a few that were. (Never actually asked for my money back though, felt too responsible for my own actions.)

Most of us who smoke wish there was and if there was there would be fewer of us out there.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
my dad quit from hypnosis. and he hasnt smoked sense.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Thanks guys, so far i think i have a pretty good feeling about hypnosis. Im just worried about the cost lol.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
To my mind, the only way to give up is to really want to quit. If the people don't want to quit, then you are fighting an up-hill battle.

Good luck, though!

My last ciggy was October 27th, last year. Boy do I miss them every second of the day. However, death was the alternative for me within a few months according to the doctors, so I decided that I did have the will power to give it up.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Bacterial i notice you are from the UK, Maybe you should get them to see there doc. Sometimes it may be availble on NHS,

My dad had hypno, it cost around �150

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Well its funny that you should ask because we have tried to claim on the NHS. They do have hypnostists, but they have a not so good success rate with helping people to stop smoking. I think its worth a go, but i wonder if they use NLP, Quote --- The success of our unique approach is that We use the best of traditional hynotherapy techniques, and combine them with Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), the study of personal achievment, which takes hynosis to an even greater level of effectivness. --- Taken from www.thehypnosisman.co.uk....

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Sounds ok but you really need to be carefull when picking someone,

Make sure you know how long they have been doing it, ask to see there records ect.... believe me anyone can open a practice with very little experience,

theres alot of people out there to con you, so make sure you really do your home work,

look on some of the smoking helps sites there may be links to some good hypno people there,

[edit on 25-7-2004 by asala]

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I quit smoking 24 years ago by being hypnotized.
I did it one on one with a "real hypnotist"not someone who read a book and decided to make a quick few bucks on it. Although I know a person can be taught to hyptonize themselves because that was part of the treatment. I went to him 3 times , once a week.
The first thing he did after a brief conversation about myself and what I wanted was a test to see if Iwas able to be hyptonized.
He told to me to relax on a reclining chair,spoke to me in a sing song sort of monotonal voice and took me to a place of deep relaxation.
He did 3 tests to see if it was working . I'll tell you one of them , Iwas both astounded and a little bewildered.
He had me interlock my fingers together and squeeze tightly to the count of ten.
Then he told me to try to unlock them but said I would be unable to.
He was right ! I simply could not unlock my hands. I was not asleep or feeling anything weird. He said I was a good candidate for hypnosis and he proceded to complete the process.
He taped the entire session and had me listen to it once a day for 3 weeks while relaxing. I have to tell you it worked for me . I did want to quit very much though. I also believe that hearing the tape repetativly sort of brainwashed me. I did a paper once on psychoneurolinguistics and I think it is pretty much the same as a type of hypnosis. It works the goverment uses it, religions use it .

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Like i said.... Here is a free hypnosis mp3 to help stop smoking.

www.warpmymind.com...

Download it. Burn it to CD...

Listen to it with headphones on, not to loud, not soo soft that you cant hear. Not something thats' blasting in ur ear. Lay down on ur bed, headphones on . Arms lext to you but not touching ur body. On ur back. Legs spread a little sot hey aren't touching. Make sure there wont be any other noises/interuptions to disturb you. Wham. go into trance and listen ;P

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by joey
I have two friends who quit through hypnosis. I tried hypnosis, accupuncture, and finally succeeded cold turkey. This isn't to downplay the value of hypnosis or accupuncture

Joey makes a great point. medicine is not cut and dry. Its an art form as well as a science. You should have a backup plan in case the hypnosis does not work. I have seen hypnosis work for children in the hospital. Acupuncture works really well, but i have only seen it used for pain. Cold Turkey seems to be the way most people quit.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well thanks for your help peeps. Overall i think i should recommend hypnosis, i mean even if its expensive im sure its worth the life of family members. But i think ill look into other alternatives aswell, but as Zzub said the only real way to quit is if YOU want to quit.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have quit smoking several times cold turkey,
and once I went to a clinical hypnotherapist
which required about 4-5 1-hour sessions.
This enabled me to quit smoking cold turkey
with no withdrawal or weight gain, and I
stayed off cigarettes for 3 years. I weakened
when under severe stresses and began smoking,
rather than gain weight. What I regret is not
finding another hypnotherapist to reinforce the
former therapist's suggestions.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
i went to a hypnotist to quit smoking , i didnt find i got hypnotised and i tested it as i walked out the door by lighting up and smoking

atleast i know what it feels like to be lying on a bed with a dirty old man talking softly to me now tho

top topics

join