It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Newest Badest Tank in the World from an unlikely ally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
After reading the article I was extremely impressed with the new South Korean MBT. Is seems They took a top MBT The M1/A2 Abrams which is known as one of the best tanks in the world and made some significant Improvements. Take a look see what you all think. Armor is not my area of expertize so I would like to get some feed back from some of our tanker brothers.

www.militaryfactory.com...
edit on 4/3/2011 by JerryB08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

pretty damn nice. the unfortunate part is that it cant do much except compete with other tanks, infantry, and choppers, but where it counts, not much stands up to some nice birds or a carrier to make that big investment worthless

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Should have read the details...The fire syt can take out helicopters with a very advanced fire and forget munition which can be fired indirectly from hiding, as well as having an 8 mi range.
This system has a 15 rounds per min auto loader, and it is multitarget capable as well.
There are perhaps equal syatems, but none much better.
The warbirds who crap on these monsters better be agile and quick.
Korea is perhaps even more ingenius at taking US technologies one step further than Jaapan was just after he war.
Their excellent Dae Woo assault rifles are both best qualities of the US and Russian weapons combined into one fine little weapon.
These people have the knack for making things just a little better than the stuff they are trying to copy.
This MBT that they are producing is an ambitious project for such a small country, and they can only pull it off because of their innate abilities as an industrial nation and industrious people.
My hats off to them, and its nice to know they are allies.....
I love their excavators too by the way.....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Fancy munitions for sure, but isn't the era of the MBT in this guise basically over? Faster, lighter vehicles with a big punch are the way things seem to be moving.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by biggilo

I think they are very important combined with air power. Look at the two tank charges in the two Iraq conflicts. The Abrams simply dominated especially at 73 easting. Last great Tank on Tank battle of the 20th century. Military channel has an excellent show on it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The problem with mechanisms is the greater their complexity the easier it is for them to fail.

US Military strategy and doctrine is organized to fight very fast overwhelming battle. If there is sustained requirement, it bogs down and even fails. Iraq was a good example, there was no opposition to US invasion, but when the resistance engaged in prolonged insurgencies it became a problem and US had to throw trillions of dollars to maintain equipment, supplies, and support. And that was a tiny campaign in historical context of war.

A medium sized theater of battle, with extended requirements will force a collapse of US military, there is no way around this and why we are forced to intercede quickly and what is termed shock and awe, we are just not built to fight prolonged battle, we would lose or forced to withdraw. The reason is highly technical equipment requiring massive amounts of support and maintenance. I think the B2 bomber requires over 100 hours of man-hour maintenance per each hour of flight. This is unsustainable.

This Tank appears technologically superior, but that is also its weak point. Russian tanks in WW2 were not built as technologically advanced as their German counterparts, but they were sound and more reliable platforms to do battle in. As German tanks succumbed to the environment, Russian tanks blew them off the battlefields.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
It's obvious peopl only want the ATS clicks to start threads. I get the hint

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

or a swarm of drones flying higher and going faster than their manned counterparts.

Even the words best armour cant stand up to a targeting network picking a single section of the tank and hitting it over and over. unless this tank can create some sort of magic shield or teleport its a huge worthless piece of junk.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I agree there a modern day Main battle tank has to have air cover or it has no chance.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

That does indeed sound like a very impressive tank. South Korea clearly doesn't put morons into positions of power like those in the pentagon; they're using the good ole diesel engine instead of an expensive and unreliable turbine that burns vast quantities of fuel.

new topics

top topics

join