It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rationalizing - To what extent does it exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
My brain is constantly thinking, and analyzing my life as I know it. I somehow seem to always fall into rationalizing certain things, usually situations of some sort. Upon thinking whilst laying in bed, I came to think about how much does rationalizing truthfully exist? I believe it exists to a certain extent but not completely. I will give 2 examples of how it does, and how it doesn't. First well start with rationalizing in a factual manner. If you pick up a stone the size of a marble, and try to throw it through a 6 inch steel wall, would that be rational? No, because it's a fact that it's not going to break it. Now here is a different situation to analyze;. A Man walks into his house, and looks in all directions without reason. He looks up down left and right and turns around and faces his oor. He then takes out a bag of pebbles, an drops them to the floor. He then goes into his kitchen, opens his refrigorator, and replaces his brand new turkey already in the refrigorator, for a rotten one. Does this seem like rational behavior? No, not to most people. But who says that it is irrationall? I believe there are ways you can rationalize this. If you put 10 people in a room and tell them the story, there may be a majority that moves to the irrrational side. But what proves that the masses are right? I believe we only find things rational by the way we live our life. This is some very abstract thing i've just done and i'd like to see some peoples responses, tell me what you think.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Maikel69

When we rationalize, it means we are trying to give credit to some kind of event. We will always do it in accordance with our own level of understanding. When humans rationalize does this really exist? I would say in the bigger picture it doesn’t but in the temporal part of life it can be a useful tool. Only when this tool is overused does it become a burden and useless. I have rationalized your question here and that is what you were looking for different rationales on your first post. Anyway welcome! To ATS with its irrational and rational posts.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
people tend to follow suit with their peers for fear of rejection and adapt like rational thinking, if you don't like i do then u get chastised,even if what your rationalizing makes total sense in an absolute truth when you intellectualize it,different people think and feel and see the world in their own way,some may be abstractly irrational and somewhat hypocritical,others make a lot of sense,you tend to see the people who remain calm,collected and "rational" tend to be thinkers but don't necessarily get along with anyone,especially when u don't buy into the chaos and drink the koolaid for your reaction isn't delivered to the seeker, the way i see it,its a huge mess and there's no way to clean it up,its self perpetuating and insufferable, the way i see it is that you should do what makes you happy no matter what,but a lot of times if its outside the mainstream pig pen then you wont be happy no matter what,because those around you will rationalize your happiness and feelings on any matter out of your big picture,for instance,why does a person need to get manager approval to have validity in your life to others,its that one persons opinion that will make or break your ass,insufferable yes,rational no, lets pray it all comes to a screeching halt

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

I will sincerely recommend you to read the free e-book Zhuan Falun in my signature link below. The book explains all the secrets about how to become a truly good person, opening your third eye, developing supernormal powers(inborn powers) etc etc. If you want a completely different perspective on human life that is the book to read.

The book was a bestseller in China during the 90s and then the communists banned it and started their terrible persecution of 100 million Falun Dafa practitioners(as you may realize the reasons of that persecution are no coincidence either, we live during the end of times as we know them - in my opinion).

/Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance is good, Falun Dafa is good

new topics

top topics

join