It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Effect - References to a NWO. (Spoiler Warning)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Let's take a look at some references to a New World Order in the videogame, Mass Effect, shall we?

First of all, the power elite, the shadow government pulling the strings of our puppet state is generally a universal element of NWO conspiracy theories, right? The shadow government being the corporate entity that has hand-picked our heads of state since the times of the Roman Empire and controlled the paths society travels towards and stages many events in history through mainstream media indoctrination. How does this relate to Mass Effect? It is pretty obvious.

The Reapers

Summary from: masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reapers

The Reapers, known by the geth as the Old Machines, are a highly advanced machine race of synthetic/organic starships. The Reapers reside in dark space, the empty, starless space between galaxies. They hibernate there, dormant for thousands of years, before they are given the signal to return. Their origins are completely unknown. The first Reaper known to have communicated with organic life, referred to by Saren Arterius as Sovereign, claimed that the Reapers have neither beginning nor end. Even their true name is a mystery; "Reapers" was a name bestowed by the Protheans, and Sovereign stated that whatever the Protheans chose to call them is irrelevant: "we simply... are." Sovereign also reveals that the Reapers were the original creators of the Citadel and the mass relay network. These massive constructs exist so that any intelligent life in the galaxy would eventually discover them and base their technology upon them – all part of a scheme to harvest the galaxy’s sentient life in a repeating cycle of purges that has continued relentlessly over countless millennia.

So what we're looking at here is pretty analogous to what the NWO believes the elite are trying to do according to the Georgia Guidestones, one of which is to reduce the population of the planet to 50 Million, which means killing nearly 90% of the world's population, which mirrors to what the Reapers are doing, but on a more Galactic scale.

Another thing to look at is how they indoctrinate individuals and play 'puppet-master' with their 'puppet and front or cover organizations'.

Indoctrination

Reapers and their technology have a strange effect on organic beings. Both Dr. Shu Qian and Edan Had'dah begin acting oddly after coming into contact with the "artifact" they found. This mental manipulation is known as indoctrination. Put simply, any organic being who is in close proximity to a Reaper for too long comes to believe the Reapers are correct in their goals and will do anything to serve them. Gradually the mind is eroded until the individual becomes a mindless slave no longer capable of independent thought. Sovereign could partly control the rate of this process as seen with Saren; in order for him to serve the Reaper efficiently, Saren needed a measure of free will. This eventually convinced him that the only way to preserve organic life was to submit to the Reapers provided they could prove themselves useful. Only beings of immense mental strength, such as asari matriarchs, can resist indoctrination, and even then, their resistance only lasts a short time and only forestalls the inevitable. Matriarch Benezia chose to die rather than risk falling under indoctrination again, and if Saren finally rebels against Sovereign, he kills himself to prevent doing any further damage to the galaxy. This indoctrination is permanent (with the single possible exception of Shiala) and is one of the most insidious weapons of the Reapers. Even more horrifying is that the indoctrination field remains active even if the Reaper is largely disabled and incapable of action. A Cerberus science team was indoctrinated by being inside a Reaper that had otherwise been floating derelict for 37 million years, its only obvious activity being mass effect field generation.

A scary analogue is how many NWO extremists believe that the elite have puppet-states, mirrored by the way Harbinger effortlessly controls the Collectors through the Collector General. The Collectors all listen to what their leader tells them, and their leader is merely a puppet for an even more powerful enemy. Another thing to look at is Reaper names. Things like Sovereign, which could be a nod to how the Corporate elite consider themselves almost like a sovereign entity, or some of the things Sovereign or Harbinger say, like "WE ARE EACH A NATION", and "WE ARE YOUR SALVATION THROUGH DESTRUCTION" and even "WE ARE THE APEX OF EVOLUTION AND EXISTENCE. BEFORE US YOU ARE NOTHING."

We really and truly are nothing in their eyes, they even consider themselves a different species from us, or so NWO conspiracists say.

Now to look at is...
The Citadel Council

The Citadel Council is the governing body of the Citadel. Convening in the impressive Citadel Tower, the Council is the ultimate authority in Citadel space, passing judgement for violations of Council law, settling disputes between governments, and maintaining law and order, often through the use of its own covert intelligence service, the Spectres.
The Council is an executive committee composed of one representative each from the member species. Though they have no official power over the independent governments of other species, the Council's decisions carry great weight throughout the galaxy. No single Council race is strong enough to defy the others, and all have a vested interest in compromise and cooperation.

Each of the Council species has general characteristics associated with the various aspects of governing the galaxy. The asari are typically seen as diplomats and mediators. The salarians gather intelligence and information. The turians provide the bulk of the military and peacekeeping forces.

Any species granted an embassy on the Citadel is considered an associate member, bound by the accords of the Citadel Conventions. Associate members may bring issues to the attention of the Council, though they have no impact on their final decision.

At many points in time during both games the Council members can be seen impeding the Commander's progress by being 'overly-political' and prickly, as well as immediately dismissing any of the Commander's explanations related to Reapers, even going as far as to delete any evidence of the Reaper attack on the Citadel in 2183 to cull public suspicions, covering it up as being a Geth ship, with Saren at the forefront of the attack, when in reality he was a puppet.

"Ah yes, Reapers..."

Finally...

The Shadow Broker

“I know your every secret, while you fumble in the dark.”

Summary from Wikia.

The Shadow Broker is an individual at the head of an expansive organization which trades in information, always selling to the highest bidder. The Shadow Broker appears to be highly competent at its trade: all secrets that are bought and sold never allow one customer of the Broker to gain a significant advantage, forcing the customers to continue trading information to avoid becoming disadvantaged, allowing the Broker to remain in business.

This I think is one of the big ones. The big international banksters that allow the shadow government to operate fluently and without problem. The shadow broker I think is an appropriate term. A member of the galactic elite, when Liara takes over she mentions "I could start a war in ten minutes." which goes to show the sheer power and weight the broker exerts over the galactic community. At some point during his reign, the Shadow Broker became aware of the Reapers and the true nature of the Collectors. Liara T'Soni suggests his dealings with the Collectors were a selfish and ill-conceived attempt to ensure his own survival from the Reapers' coming genocide. Again, another reference to the greedy banksters that fund all the NWO's operations for their own selfish attempts to survive the coming storm.

Those are just three elements I pointed out that point to NWO references. If anyone has any post 'em, but its up to you to decide if this is BioWare trying to warn us of a coming NWO, or just fabricated nonsense, lol. This is overall a thread to have fun in, post stuff you think is referencing a NWO from Mass Effect.
edit on 3-4-2011 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Good thread especially because you're using my favorite game for it. I can see what you are saying about how the NWO can have similarities to the conspiracies of real life. I could find a couple examples from the game such as the genophage as that is to cause sterility amoung the krogans to lower population which is like the eugenics conspiracy.

Also the example of how the quarians created a synthetic robot called the geth that ended up rebelling against the creators and causing the quarians to flee their home world.

Also as we become technologically advanced in real life we become more dependant on the system that society lives in. In the video you posted legion says that they wanted people to find the mass relays so that they would build towards the path legion desired. So the geth were created by the quarians using technology that was based off the mass relays which made it easier for the reapers to take control of them. This could be compared to how in today technology is starting to lean towards oppressing us and giving us not much of a choice to use because we are so dependant on it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Why is it that if something that could be considered similar to the NWO is included in a game or movie or song or any kind of media at all, it means that whoever made it is either warning us about it, is part of it, or knows something that the rest of us doesn't? Why cant it just be that they used an idea from modern society to craft a great story?

If you look hard enough you can find anything, even if it isn't there.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Haha, relax. The OP didn't say, "Hey, check this out! Mass Effect lays out all of the NWO's plans!" No, instead he was making a comparison. Remember when we used to do Book Reports? We did book reports somewhat the teachers could see whether or not we could process the information we received. What is being done here is a breakdown of information within a video game and comparison of that info to the NWO plot. Art mimics lif does it not? Whether or not you believe in any or all of the NWO conspiracy theory you can clearly see a similarity in the subjects. Remember what Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
Here's something to consider about the game as well if you're reading that far into it (directed towards OP);
1. Bio-ware has always been a big fan of the whole positive/negative player alignment thing (more mimicry of life?)
2. The fact that the Geth (the first to be indoctrinated by Sovereign) attacked when a historical relic meant to warn future races was recovered. (The Truth kick starts the war? If we can get the truth in time we can stop them?)
3. In Mass Effect 2 we meet another shady figure who apparently runs the show behinds the scenes.
4. Also in the sequel we learn that each destruction is tailored to fit those who will be destroyed.
Interesting thread, nice dot connecting. Don't read too much into it but congrats on being aware of the information you're consuming!
Peace!

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
aww man, this seemed like an awesome thread to read as is one of my favorite games as well, sadly not many people play Mass Effect here on ATS, can't wait for the third.

Man I was just thinking how the Protheans left the Artifacts and other things to try to communicate, Reminds me of pyramids and such left by civilizations long gone, although the spanish inquisitions almost took care of the ones in this continent of America ( I don't mean just North America )

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFuzzMonster
reply to post by warbird03

Haha, relax. The OP didn't say, "Hey, check this out! Mass Effect lays out all of the NWO's plans!" No, instead he was making a comparison. Remember when we used to do Book Reports? We did book reports somewhat the teachers could see whether or not we could process the information we received. What is being done here is a breakdown of information within a video game and comparison of that info to the NWO plot. Art mimics lif does it not? Whether or not you believe in any or all of the NWO conspiracy theory you can clearly see a similarity in the subjects. Remember what Mark Twain said, "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
Here's something to consider about the game as well if you're reading that far into it (directed towards OP);
1. Bio-ware has always been a big fan of the whole positive/negative player alignment thing (more mimicry of life?)
2. The fact that the Geth (the first to be indoctrinated by Sovereign) attacked when a historical relic meant to warn future races was recovered. (The Truth kick starts the war? If we can get the truth in time we can stop them?)
3. In Mass Effect 2 we meet another shady figure who apparently runs the show behinds the scenes.
4. Also in the sequel we learn that each destruction is tailored to fit those who will be destroyed.
Interesting thread, nice dot connecting. Don't read too much into it but congrats on being aware of the information you're consuming!
Peace!

When I first learned of the whole 'Global elite NWO plot thing' the first thing I thought of from my gaming history was Mass Effect, more specifically, "OMFG, the Reapers are real!?" It's an obvious NWO reference. Probably for fun, I doubt they're firm NWO believers and are absolutely paranoid to the point where they're trying to warn everyone through games. No, they probably just stumbled upon the whole mythology behind the NWO conspiracy theory and decided, "Hey, this would make a pretty badass plot for a sci-fi adventure!"

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I hope ME3 comes out before Elenin hits us!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
I hope ME3 comes out before Elenin hits us!

me too, I just got Arrival but was playing older games since I am in the Update beta

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I see a connection between the reapers and the "annunaki" and the whole "cycles of time" theory. it makes a lot of sense. the idea that time operates in cycles suggest that civilization on this planet has been wiped out many times before, just as sovereign said. The reapers represent fallen angels and the devil, or the annunaki depending on which train of thought that you follow. It makes a lot of sense, cool post. way overlooked!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I just posted this in the ME2 post, maybe it should have gone here - apols.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I am currently playing the first Mass Effect, and wanted to mention one of the extra downloadable episodes they made to compliment the game.

This mission, called 'Bring Down the Sky' is centered around a place called Terra Nova, which is basically the first extrasolar planet the humans managed to settle on following their discoveries of FTL travel which they call 'Mass Effect' (the game is set in the 22nd century).

Terra Nova is pretty much identical to Earth, in fact the picture they use on the game is the same as the one they use to represent Earth.

So, the backstory is that some evil race has hijacked an asteroid, added some kind of rocket boosters to enable the comet to settle into the orbit of Terra Nova, they then plan on smashing the asteroid into the planet, causing death and destruction to the colony. Unbelievable, right?

I had to chuckle as I started playing this mission, as a few days previous I was reading how Comet Elenin was heading towards Earth which is being followed by a UFO, apparently NASA know about it but don't want to tell anyone.

Life imitating art, or the other way around?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
ME2 is crap, I much preferred how they did things in ME.

As for the NWO...Seriously, its too late now...and I'm glad you use the Georgia Guidestones as a'Rub-it-in-your-face' example. See Below:

Fukushima hasn't worked quick enough, but they planned for that, so bring on the floods that swamp a nuclear plant (dont forget that they probably have that Stuxnet weakness too) so things, just like Fukushima will start going wrong when they just shouldn't be, and Fires to Nuclear Waste, and facilities with yet even more compromisable electronics.

Why do you think the Southern hemisphere isn't suffering any sort of Nuclear disaster?

Do the Math

World Population...6.92 billion
Northern/Southern hemisphere split: 90/10
=
6.228 billion in Nothern Hemisphere and
0.692 Billion OR 692 Million in the Southern Hemisphere

Now, lets kill the Northern hemisphere, or majority of = 6.90 Billion

The resulting world population, not including death from war, malnutrition disease and whatnot =

694 Million

What was that magical number again that the NWO/Illuminati want?

500 Million.

If you weren't sure, Google the Georgia Guidestones. I have to say, us humans must enjoy having it rubbed in our faces.

Chemtrails probably just help weather manipulation, and maybe the silver iodide can possibly make you sick but not always. They probably just behave like contrails too....have you all ever considered it.

Either way, you all need to open your eyes because the ones who are doing this will be in safety, you've either gotta go south of the equator which would mean one of the largest mass migrations of people EVER or you gotta all invade the underground bunkers...you have the damn weapons and are nearly the only civilisation in the world capable of amassing such a peoples army. Thats why theyre scared, and taking your rights away and only then can they amass against you. Sun Tzu's Art of War.

I live in Australia, This is my warning to the people of the US.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
The only thing I get from that coversation with sovereign is that we have quite possibly have been visited by extraterrestrials who have influenced us and allowed us to progress along a preset path designed by them, so they can dismantle and study our technological progression.

That and they are just busted super AIs hell bent on destroying organic life every 50000 years like its a bugged command in thier software.
edit on 8-7-2011 by BoneMosaic because: It was all sarens fault!!!

Also, did you happen to get the "useless trinket" off sha'ira the consort, and use it on one of the planets you can visit? If not you'll find an orb that talls you a story of aliens observing and experimenting on primitive humans.

Now I'm not saying I think this is what actually happened. But I'm saying those are the things I got from the game.
edit on 8-7-2011 by BoneMosaic because: The council wouldn't listen.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Great thread!

I've never been a gamer, but as a writer I have wondered about the type of work available in the industry.. Checking through this thread, it seems I could make a tidy living by translating 'the truth as I see it' into the back stories for epic sci-fi action games!

Thoughts on the industry and its role in promoting the NWO agenda:

There will be some shills planted about the different departments of the various software houses, to ensure that appropriate measures of truth and disinfo are presented 'equally' (read as - 'in a way suitable for NWO purposes'). A mixture of people will be involved in the writing of these games.

- Some writers 'in the know' will reference conspiracies as part of an intentional plot to brainwash the populace into accepting certain paradigm shifts or belief systems before they occur/ are implemented. (bad guys)

- Others who see the patterns being written about will add to the mix in a tongue-in-cheek way (wannabe agents; stooges)..

- Some are likely to be totally ignorant and just add imaginative irrelevancies (patsies-in-training)

- Then the gold dust: Those who wish to share the truth, perhaps even subversively; disguising it behind cleverly coded combinations of disinfo (they would be staff writers in all likelihood, producing material according to instructions from their bosses, but doing it so the boss doesn't notice the coded warnings they surreptitiously include...)

These guys are the everyday heroes, and you can probably find them anywhere the NWO operates. Let's all hope they can carry on with their work in safety - and - that we interpret their warnings in time...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
i find a conection in mass effect and assassins creed.
I dont know why but in both stories they speak of a frist civilization wich was advanced and get destroyed in mysterious conditions the proteans must be the "frist humans" wich were genetically modifed to survive or adapt faster after the destruction.
Also the citadel in mass effect when it closes it form a five pointed star.
I know it sound crazy but my brain is making connections between mass effect and assassins creed.

new topics

top topics

join