It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do the Terminally Ill Have a Right to Die?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

thanks for this sincere expression of compassion.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
We put animals down when they are suffering.

The same should apply to humans. We are animals too.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

While I appreciate the positive intention of this post (if we can act compassionately when confronted with animals suffering, why can't we do the same for people), I would like to make one remark.

it's just not a good idea to take this principe as is and apply it to humans,
the main differences being that in normal circumstances we don't ask the animal's approval
and that the human animal is supposed to be able to indicate when suffering is too much.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes

While I appreciate the positive intention of this post (if we can act compassionately when confronted with animals suffering, why can't we do the same for people), I would like to make one remark.

it's just not a good idea to take this principe as is and apply it to humans,
the main differences being that in normal circumstances we don't ask the animal's approval
and that the human animal is supposed to be able to indicate when suffering is too much.

That's is the difference.. All we can do with animals is judge for ourselves how much pain there in they cant tell us..I had my dog put to sleep last year that i had as a kid he could no longer walk and was 17 years old and i could see he was in misery but that was my choice not his..
As humans we know when we have had enough and life is unbearable and can tell others our wishes unless were in a coma then its usually left up to others..

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

You are welcome..

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
After going through around a year of pure hell, and I mean to the point of almost death... I strongly support euthanasia.

I endured so much pain, beyond what I thought was possible; to the point it's physically scarred me. I fear dying, but I don't fear death.

Sure, people could say "well you got through it", but I was in a case where I wasn't going to die-- but just continually suffer. After getting through what I did... I cannot imagine how bad dying is.
People say they don't remember pain... or even child birth (one of the most painful things out there, then again I have no experience nor can I have a child). I agree, I can't remember times where I tore off much of my arms skin or fell face first onto the pavement at high speed (oh that was bad
), but I can vividly remember how horrible the experience was where I just sat there motionless and in constant misery beyond description of any language. This experience alone moved me from "on the fence" to "strongly pro-choice". I can't remember being sewn up alive (I had a HUGE cut and the anesthetics didn't work, that REALLY sucked), but I can instantly recall how horrible the decay I went through was.

Though I personally wouldn't believe in just giving up straight away. If I got an illness that may not be terminal I'd fight it every step of the way until I couldn't fight anymore. Then if I failed, I'd find another way 'home'

edit on 4/9/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria
After going through around a year of pure hell, and I mean to the point of almost death... I strongly support euthanasia.

I endured so much pain, beyond what I thought was possible; to the point it's physically scarred me. I fear dying, but I don't fear death.

Sure, people could say "well you got through it", but I was in a case where I wasn't going to die-- but just continually suffer. After getting through what I did... I cannot imagine how bad dying is.
People say they don't remember pain... or even child birth (one of the most painful things out there, then again I have no experience nor can I have a child). I agree, I can't remember times where I tore off much of my arms skin or fell face first onto the pavement at high speed (oh that was bad
), but I can vividly remember how horrible the experience was where I just sat there motionless and in constant misery beyond description of any language. This experience alone moved me from "on the fence" to "strongly pro-choice". I can't remember being sewn up alive (I had a HUGE cut and the anesthetics didn't work, that REALLY sucked), but I can instantly recall how horrible the decay I went through was.

Though I personally wouldn't believe in just giving up straight away. If I got an illness that may not be terminal I'd fight it every step of the way until I couldn't fight anymore. Then if I failed, I'd find another way 'home'

edit on 4/9/11 by NuclearMitochondria because: (no reason given)

I hope your doing better now that must have been horrible.. pain is the worst but im so glad you made through it all..I dont think anyone wants to give up not till a person cant take it any more and thanks for the reply!

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Humans can tell you when they have had too much.

You see it by being with them.

You see it by seeing their suffering.

And animals can also tell you.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Humans can tell you when they have had too much.

You see it by being with them.

You see it by seeing their suffering.

And animals can also tell you.

My dog didnt tell me he was suffering but i could see it in his eyes and if i picked him up he yelped so i knew it was time and my vet agreed there was nothing left to do for him,but i sure miss him!

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I believe people have the right to die in terminally ill situations. Not 'Im depressed and dont want to live' situations, because its possible to help those people and save a life.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
yup. thats all there is too it.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rirb106
I believe people have the right to die in terminally ill situations. Not 'Im depressed and dont want to live' situations, because its possible to help those people and save a life.

I agree with the depression there is alot of help out there for that and medications but im not in there shoes so i dont know...

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shatter
yup. thats all there is too it.

Thanks for your reply

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Hi, sugar,

Yes your dog told you.

And you did the right thing!

Hey, stay with Jesus!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Hi, sugar,

Yes your dog told you.

And you did the right thing!

Hey, stay with Jesus!

Im hanging on!

and i know i did the right thing...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by shroudnews77

I understand but anything can be "used" in the wrong way "abused" yet we should not disallow it based solely upon this fear.

I knew someone who went through the hospice process and I agree it is a better alternative then dying in a hospital or worse still, living in a hospital with no quality of life while the staff pumps us full of narcotics and all manner of nonsense in order to prolong the suffering which is exactly how I see it, prolong suffering as if this were somehow the primary function of modern medicine.

Yet, this person still did not have the choice to die but only to prolong the process of dying and maybe to choose which drug to use to accomplish their slow death.

If a loaded gun was placed in their hands I predict that there would be plenty who would alternatively pull the trigger.

Someone I love dearly is now suffering because the emotions of the family have overidden the concept of quality of life and now she suffers for them, basically, yet most of them do not "FEEL" a thing and are for the most part content that she is still with us regardless of her quality of life.

I think many of the "Laws" concerning this subject stem from the same selfish core albeit, as is the case for modern medicine, the selfish core seems to be made of greed whereas the selfish core of my family is made of??? well??? selfishness, plain and simple. The ability to care for someone yet care little about their suffering.

Seems implausible yet I am unable to convince myself otherwise.
They love her for themselves yet they do not love her for her...

Hope that makes sense.
I have had relatives buried when they requested to be cremated simply because a small yet dominant element in the family could not bear the thought so they ultimately went against the wishes of the deceased......

Yes, a living will would have stopped such selfish nonsense from occurring yet and even though the family is now somewhat divided on the issue, it would have been ripped apart if they would not have gotten their way and were forced to cremate.

So, much of this "family" that people keep referring to, these "dependents" that they are using to justify forcing some of us to stick around alittle longer is BS. BS based in selfishness mainly....
"they always want to play but they never wish to lose".....

"To be or not to be" is a solitary enquiry.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OverMan
reply to post by shroudnews77

I understand but anything can be "used" in the wrong way "abused" yet we should not disallow it based solely upon this fear.

I knew someone who went through the hospice process and I agree it is a better alternative then dying in a hospital or worse still, living in a hospital with no quality of life while the staff pumps us full of narcotics and all manner of nonsense in order to prolong the suffering which is exactly how I see it, prolong suffering as if this were somehow the primary function of modern medicine.

Yet, this person still did not have the choice to die but only to prolong the process of dying and maybe to choose which drug to use to accomplish their slow death.

If a loaded gun was placed in their hands I predict that there would be plenty who would alternatively pull the trigger.

Someone I love dearly is now suffering because the emotions of the family have overidden the concept of quality of life and now she suffers for them, basically, yet most of them do not "FEEL" a thing and are for the most part content that she is still with us regardless of her quality of life.

I think many of the "Laws" concerning this subject stem from the same selfish core albeit, as is the case for modern medicine, the selfish core seems to be made of greed whereas the selfish core of my family is made of??? well??? selfishness, plain and simple. The ability to care for someone yet care little about their suffering.

Seems implausible yet I am unable to convince myself otherwise.
They love her for themselves yet they do not love her for her...

Hope that makes sense.
I have had relatives buried when they requested to be cremated simply because a small yet dominant element in the family could not bear the thought so they ultimately went against the wishes of the deceased......

Yes, a living will would have stopped such selfish nonsense from occurring yet and even though the family is now somewhat divided on the issue, it would have been ripped apart if they would not have gotten their way and were forced to cremate.

So, much of this "family" that people keep referring to, these "dependents" that they are using to justify forcing some of us to stick around alittle longer is BS. BS based in selfishness mainly....
"they always want to play but they never wish to lose".....

"To be or not to be" is a solitary enquiry.

Thank you for your post OverMan it was very interisting and family does play a huge part in what happens to the sick thats why a liveing will needs to be set up that helps with the problem of family steping in wanting to keep the person here when they dont want to be its called quality of life if there is none why be so selfish to keep them here it doesnt justify the person that has no life i agree with you complety on this subject..

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

My mother was diagnosed with early onset dementia at the age of 61. By the time my mom was 63 she no longer recognized me and could only smile and nod. She has steadily declined and now she is 67 and can no longer control bowel or bladder, she is bedridden, she can not speak or understand spoken words, she is like an infant, she can barely manage to chew/swallow soft food or manage her own secretions...she spends so many hours in her preferred position (on her left side) in bed that all of her fluids have shifted to one side of her face and body....making her look disfigured. At age 59 my Mom was a business owner a vibrant and successful career woman who was excited about getting braces taken off of her teeth before her 60th birthday (she was vain enough to get braces as an adult...she was a California girl and she always took excellent care of herself but was always self conscious about her teeth...she was so tickled when she got the news that her teeth would be straight and pretty by her 60th birthday). Nobody should have to suffer what my Mom is going through....if she were an animal she would have been compassionately euthanized....but she is going to have to suffer through skin breakdowns, bed sores, anxiety and fear - everyone is a stranger to her.... as her body slowly dies.

I think that we are far more humane to animals than we are to our fellow man.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Buvvy

Dementia is really scary - so is coma, and living without having to be ventilated. Also being paralyzed.

I'm an RN - get a living will! Talk about it with your families. My living will says no intubation, no IV fluids, no feeding tube. You can be that specific.

Almost all terminal cancer patients die of morphine overdose - Keep the pt. comfortable, no time limit for pain meds (as it should be).

There was a time in the '70's that docters wouldn't write orders for no time limit for pain meds, that is not what is done now-a-days, for the most part.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Happy1
I agree a living will is very important i have cystic fibrosis and i sent up a living will many years ago and put in it what i want done i do not want to linger on not being able to breath i think everyone should have a living will i want no one fighting over weather i should live or die..peace,sugarcookie1

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join