It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Government shuts down who will pay the Military?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The military will get paid, unlike in 1980 when i missed two paychecks. As people have said, some non-essential personnel will probably be temporarily furloughed and some services will be temporarily halted. Since the 1980 debacle provisions have been made to ensure the military get's paid in the event of a "shutdown" like in '95 and again in '96.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonteIf you can not pay me than why should I come to work? because I don't work for free.

You don't see the angle. With all the people employed by the fedgov, and all those otherwise dependent on it, if they shut down (and both parties can lie that it came to this by way of principle) people will cry for a dictatorship. Whatever will get food in their mouths for the moment.
In addition, you can't quit, you gave up your constitutional rights when you signed up.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
A funny thing happened in the way to work today. I was sitting on the post bus riding in to work and all that was on people lips was talk of the shut down and how it is going to affect there family. Because unlike the shut down in 95 the Military will not be paid until a deal is reached. sad really for those of us in the Military that live pay check to pay check AER loan payouts will be at there highest ever. Got to pay the rent and put food on the table some how right? I know if this comes to pass I have leave that I am taking and well I will have to get a job while i'm home for those weeks to ensure rent gets paid and food is on the table. it is sad really that I should have to work a 2nd job to support my family I give allot for this country and all I ask in return is a small favor, I don't care about me Forget me take care of my family I suffer so they don't have to.

Now we all suffer and this is not fair this is not what I signed up for. And yet here I am at work on a break typing to you on what could very well be the last paid day I will get in a long while. but who knows there is hope that a deal could be reached and Military families every where avoid a crap storm of bills un paid rent and car notes. The shutdown could only last and hr to two days or it could exceed the 21 days that it lasted last time. All I know is this; this should have never happened EVER you don't rock the boat especially if that boat is full of people that are well trained and armed.

I believed this to be a mute point however I can see that I was wrong and the atmosphere there where I am is tense.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yes, you are correct. Even if you don't get paid and your on active duty, you still have to obey lawful orders and such and keep doing whatever it is you are assigned to do. That's pretty much what happens when you put on a uniform. You literally become government property. it's that whole chain o command thing. !

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

Don't worry too much. Once the politicians wring out every last bit of political drama they'll get off they're dead duffs and pass a budget. You know they will, but it gets them lots of air time and ink so they just keep shining the whole country right along. They really don't care about anything else but getting that free publicity. It's they're job to do that. Not actually do any work you understand.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmosKid

Indeed I do understand it is just unfortunate that my family will have to stress about money we have enough for a months rent and some of the bills and food. However some of my friends do not. It is just bad business all around.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

I understand, it has happened to my family as well, but there's one thing about the military, they'll take care of they're own even when no one else will. I'll keep you in my prayers.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
All non essential personal will get a vacation. Essential personal will see half their pay on their LES. Civilians will also get to stay at home.

Now this is all based on long term idiocy in DC. They will probably have it squared away in a day or so. If not? Then there might be some issues.

Personally, I'd bet that this would never happen if congress had their pay suspended.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
there is a saying in the oldest book in the world the I ching.
It regards initiating war until broke is a not a good thing for a country to do.
I would guess the Art of War makes the same point in a variety of ways.

these are bank wars
where the fiat "steal everything" bankers are attacking everyone,
even those on its own side.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Indeed, and Might I add that Congress needs to get it together for the sake of the people protecting them and the Country.
They need to send a strong message that no matter what side you’re on no matter what you believe in you need to look out for the people you promsed to look after.

The Congress is suposed to be our voice; our heart.
Right now my heart is breaking my voice goes unheard.

This is sad and sickening. I hope a compromise can be made today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join