It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Government shuts down who will pay the Military?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Just a thought that myself and a few other where I work have been having.
If the Government can't pay us for however long it is that the shutdown lasts, what would happen if the military as a whole just stooped working; till we get paid? I provide a serves for the Military and expect to be paid to do it.
If you can not pay me than why should I come to work? because I don't work for free. Now I have been told and will see that just because they can’t pay us now does not mean that they will not get us on the back end of this. Just a random thought. ok now im done venting I mean I will still work but there are familys that depend on that money to live how are they suposed to live with no money?

What you think would happen if the Military just stopped working.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The government doesn't "pay" the military.

They just hand them your money...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I was reading either Fox or Aol about the government having a provision already lined up.
Non-essentials are shut down, the military goes on as normal.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

My question is this who's money is it is it tax payer money because if it is how do they tax it.

If I get payed from taxes how can the Goverment dubble dip?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
actually the government will shut down the US military if the situation in the US became far more worse than right now

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
no the military will continue to get paid, I was in the army during the shut down in 1995, all that happened is they sent home the civillians on post

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ashnomadonte

First, shy away from thinking that a "Government shutdown" means "shut the doors, no more pay, no money to spend". I am not sure where this is coming from especially since this is not the first time it might happen or will happen.

1995 had a 'shutdown'

Using that as a template all non-essential personel and non-essential services will be suspended (furloughed for personel.) Military will still get paid. Majority of federal workers will still get paid. Even those that are furloughed will most likely get back paid.
edit on 2-4-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

yeah I doubt that they will not pay us. still you know how rumors are.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Thank you all for providing a quick response and concise info.

I can always count on ATS for level headed answers.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Unlike 1995, the Govt. is in worse shape now. Nothing has been said officially but allegedly a memo was released that says:

All active duty and essential reserve service members, and essential DOD civilian employees will continue to go about bussiness as usual with or without pay.

Also The DoD might have enough cash to cover one payday in the event of a shut-down, but after that they will work without pay.

And military pay is taxed by the federal govt., some states also tax military pesonnel if they claim that state on their taxes, some states don't.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Here is a thread on ATS talking about the "Federal" Government shutting down on April 8, 2011

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Being not to familiar in the matter, I wonder if certain "events" can happen during this federal part of government shutdown? Good/Bad?

Also, why is it that the Federal Government is getting shutdown and not the whole government?

Thank you ATS'rs, for ALL OF YOU are responsible for a perspective of the world that not many are able too see.....THE TRUTH

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonte

Thank you all for providing a quick response and concise info.

I can always count on ATS for level headed answers.

REVOLT!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just had to be contrary.

*levels head*

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Here's something I have wondered.

Let's say they did stop paying military members, even for a short time. If those personal who were not being paid refused to to continue to work, would they be considered to be in dereliction of duty, or AWOL? Seems like they could be....
edit on 2-4-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

But we can see how projecting and leading information can dictate the national debate. Many still get their news from the larger agencies and have a deep instilled trust for them. This is truer with the older folks of our population. They really had no need to "Trust, but verify". For them, it was "Trust".

Stalwarts such as Walter Cronkite established that for our parents (grandparents depending on your age) and it has mostly stuck with them.

Since those days though media, with the inclusion of the news being rated on the Neilson scale has transformed to obtain those ratings. Ratings drive advertisement, advertisement drives profit, profit can then be assumed drives the news. With this radical change in how news is presented, news agencies needed new ways to engage and keep people watching. It went into overdrive with the creation of the 24-hour news cycle and CNN.

Of course today we can see how news no longer reports but rather creates. No agency, regardless of their slogan of the month is truly objective in their reporting. They no longer seek out the “Who, What, Where, When, Why and How”. They will just speculate on one or more of those criteria of good reporting to fill in the story.

Such as, what is a "Government Shutdown”? How will it affect people? How did we get to this point? I searched on the internet and I was hard pressed to find good verifiable information. Instead, I was received with conjecture, subjective speculation, and projecting opinion in regards to the manner. People it seems, have grown accustom to the diminished quality of journalism.

This has been slowly changing and gaining momentum with the vast amounts of information we can obtain and verify with the advent of the Internet and its evolution to what it is today. We no longer need to turn on the news station to hear the ‘news’. Instead we can get on the internet, read a story and at the same time, play fact checker to the story to determine if it is true probably quicker and more accurate than any of today’s news agencies.

The motto of today and from this point on should be “Trust, but verify”. I say trust, because without it, just as if we were to let go of hope, would defeat ourselves in a manner that would cause any elitist, power that be group, NWO, etc to rejoice with glee! By retaining trust we are still getting information, but we are ever vigilant to verify that information against massive amounts of sources.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Most likely, especially if it was just in 1's and 2's.

If a whole unit/ship stopped working though, especially if they made it public immediately, the military's public affairs dept. might have a bit of trouble explaining things.

You'd still have the true believers who would continue to serve for no pay...for a while, at least.

Of course, the politicians know they have to keep the military on their side (as best they can) otherwise they're done for.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I have often wondered the same question.

Being in the field I am in I would imagine that those of us that decided that we don’t work for free no matter how long the pay freeze may last will be subject to UCMJ.

Now if a whole company or Battalion decided not to show for work wow that would make news. Those in charge would face UCMJ at minimal at most a courts martial.

Interesting times we like in.

A Military action in Libya costs us how much a week and yet we are faceing a budget crisis and a government shut down. Food for thought.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

It is a fascinating question and again, upon research I am getting no where fast. Supposedly there was a memo floating around the Pentagon in regards to guidance (Pre April 1st by the way) that was ordering stationed troops to report to work with out pay. As far as the legality of such, I am not sure.

An enlistment contract FOUND HERE states under bullet item #5 "Entitled to receive pay, allowance, and other benefits, as provided by law and regulation".

It would take an act of Congress to change the law, but to me that seems like a 'breach of contract'. Although I am no lawyer.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I will read over my contract and my reenlistment contract to see if I can find that provision.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8fe41d00374f.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-4-2011 by ashnomadonte because: contract scan

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Here's something I have wondered.

Let's say they did stop paying military members, even for a short time. If those personal who were not being paid refused to to continue to work, would they be considered to be in dereliction of duty, or AWOL? Seems like they could be....
edit on 2-4-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Yes but if these members are enlisted and not drafted the onus may possibly be reversed, with the Goverment being in breach of contract ? While pay may continue for a duration it could not continue under those circumstances indefinately without running out.External economics will also have an effect regardless of what the Goverment decides .

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

It is also to note that your pay was authorized under the Defense Reauthorization Bill I believe. The money is technically already appropriated and I believe any talks of military pay being axed under this budget crisis is political posturing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join