It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death anxiety prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution: research

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Death anxiety prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution: research

www.physorg.com

Researchers at the University of British Columbia and Union College (Schenectady, N.Y.) have found that people's death anxiety can influence them to support theories of intelligent design and reject evolutionary theory.

Existential anxiety also prompted people to report increased liking for Michael Behe, intelligent design's main proponent, and increased disliking for evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins

"Our results suggest that when confronted with existential concerns, people respond by searching for a sense of meaning and purpose in life," says Tracy. "For many, it appears tha
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I thought this to be fitting around here.

If I were to take a poll, I would bet the outcome would be the same with ATS members.

With all the fear of death around here and all.

The participants were asked to imagine their own death, then write about subsequent thoughts and feelings.

Then they were asked to read excerpts on evolution and intelligent design.

Research went toward intelligent design until they threw in an excerpt from Carl Sagan on naturalism.

The findings in these participants leaned toward evolution.

My self for starters have always believed in Intelligent design that evolves. What fun would something be if he/she/god already knew the outcome?

I just think ours was tweaked in the not so distant past. Probably not by the most high either.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We should not fear death or have anxiety about it, as it is better to comprehend Death instead.

Also, in addition to the above-linked audio-lectures about understanding death, the following link has some excellent quotes about death in relation to Spirituality as well:

Temple of Death

And Evolution isn't a false idea in and of itself.

It is that Evolution is explained in an incomplete way by materialists, the latter of whom do not understand that there also exists:

Involution, Evolution, Devolution, Revolution

edit on 2-4-2011 by Tamahu because: fixed link

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Kind of goes with that view that we all see the "Light at the end of the tunnel", with the Light being God, and the tunnel, well, you know...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

Researchers at the University of British Columbia and Union College (Schenectady, N.Y.) have found that people's death anxiety can influence them to support theories of intelligent design and reject evolutionary theory.
It's nice to see researchers confirm this, but yeah, I already knew this, I had it figured out by the time I was 10 years old.

It's not that hard to figure out.
edit on 2-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am not religious but do believe in spirituality.

After dealing with death everyday and not knowing if you were gonna die in chaos of war. You learn to not be afraid of it as most do since we all die some day.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

I myself don't fear death, maybe the pain a little but, who know what happens.

I think this is the problem with the academic debate, we really can't 'prove' anything either way.

The only thing I have ever really seen of evolution is releasing a domestic pig, quickly transforms into something else when released in the wild, itself pretty weird.

Then I see things like this that just scream intelligent design.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c0ff6cd5362.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

both sides of this argument deal in absolutes. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

Why can't both sides realize that WE DONT KNOW jack squat about anything and shut the hell up? Seems like the reasonably intelligent thing to do.

Evolution could be real. Could be the workings of God.

Who knows?

Stop pretending.
edit on 2-4-2011 by PrimePorkchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why is it always one (Intelligent Design) or the other (Evolution)? What about Spontaneous Life?

Life spawns and adapts to it's environment if the conditions are right.
edit on 2-4-2011 by AstroBuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

your links are not working, I really wanted to look at the 2nd one

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Well the only way to prove such things, would be to apply the Scientific Method to the practice of Meditation in order to know for ourselves (Gnosis).

That you posted a Peacock as an example of Intelligent design is very interesting and significant, considering that the Peacock is an important symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Yungdrung Bon or Bonpo, and the Yezidi Religion.

Some would argue that the Buddhist teachings do not support Intelligent design, but this is not so.

Buddhism simply does not support merely intellectual concepts of "Intelligent Design" which are only based on belief, anthropomorphism, and mere intellect.

However in order to understand this, would require the inner faculties which in Buddhism are known as Prajna (Sherab), Jnana (Yeshe), and Rigpa (Vidya), all of which are taught to be realized through the practice of Meditation, Yoga, and Tantra; not mere intellect alone.

edit on 2-4-2011 by Tamahu because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing factory.
~ Professor Edwin Conklin, Princeton University biologist

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I love to see peacocks, most beautiful creature on earth!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by infojunkie2

They should be working now.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Personally I believe death is as natural as breathing, just another step in our never ending evolution.

Death should not be feared, if anything life should be feared.

We have to ask ourselves what is more fearful or painful?
75 years on planet earth or a few moments of making a natural transition?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
People using myths of an afterlife when scared of death .. shocking.

When I see something like this it screams sexual selection.

Edit.(2)

www.sciencedaily.com...

edit on 2-4-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We will find out when we die. What happens after death is a question that might hunt us for a long time.

I don't believe we are accidents though.
edit on 2-4-2011 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
People using myths of an afterlife when scared of death .. shocking.

When I see something like this it screams sexual selection.

Edit.(2)

www.sciencedaily.com...

edit on 2-4-2011 by LikeDuhObviously because: (no reason given)

Everyone knows that peahens select mates, not based on sex, but which male was designed the most brilliantly.

Also... No shock in the study. I find it amusing when believers in the afterlife claim to not fear death. There is no need to hope for an afterlife, if there is no anxiety about leaving this mortal coil.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

As others have said, I knew this at a young age. Religion is many people's way to deal with death, and the thoughts of permanently parting with their families. I do believe in something more, but not something we can really comprehend. When I start thinking about what it would like to be dead, I try to remember that we've been dead before. Before our parents did what they did (I know, don't picture it), we were dead, in that we were not alive. And time goes as far back, as it does forward so we were "dead" for just as long as we will be when we die. But, when I really get to thinking, I just realize none of us really have any idea, but it sure is interesting to ponder.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

I love the peacock.

I suppose I could have used a swan or pelican, but not nearly as stimulating.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join