It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 reasons why your church sucks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I had read this a while back and found it to be true in most respects. It comes from a post-modern theology website and illustrates why many do not attend church.

1. It does not understand the community at large

2. It has poor leadership

3. It has no solid vision

4. It is graying, quickly

5. It�s inbred

6. It�s concerned with look and not action

7. It�s comfortable in its misery, and is looking for company

8. It�s out of touch with the 21st century

9. It�s all about money

10. It�s all politics

Follow the link for the full essay (not very long) and explainations of each point.
ginkworld

Thoughts?

Peace,
BG

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Can we make it 11 reasons?

11. My church has a problem with women. And sexualtity. They are still in the 15th century, or worse.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think that is why more people are turning to spirtual pursuits instead of religious pursuits. I believe in the bible and God and things like that, I just can't find a church that dosen't have those problems though. Oh well, humanity is forever flawed...

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As an athiest, I would agree with the points in the list. Its kind of analagous tot he boy scouts. Both can offer alot to people who partake in them, but both have stubbornly refused to stay current, and thus are out of touch with people in general. As I read your post I was going through all the people we know, and came up with maybe 5 people we know that go to church regulary out of 100 or so.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I wrote a big point for point argument to this but my dial-up disconnected and I lost it

Anyway. Those points do not apply to our church, it is almost entirely opposite. A few points I feel like retyping:

6&9. Our church has not spent any money on our building except for some roof repair that had to be done. We donate money to people in need and to missionaries.

5. I find this a strange opinion, perhaps you should throw your children out so that your house will not become inbred.

I dont have any time to finish. If you don't believe in Cristianity then leave us alone, the church is but a building, we could meet in a field and learn the same things.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
the church is old and antiquated. so? should we tear them all down? what the thing about church is that not alot of people understand is, its just a moral compass. keep everyone in check.

whenever a catholic is about do something bad, i can guarantee, in the back of their head, they think about the consequences. doesnt mean they will make the right choice, but i bet they think about it.

when i was younger, every sunday we would go, then have coffee and donuts afterwards, then off to lunch. i looked forward to it.

people say their church has a problem with sexuality? of course they do. homosexuality is immoral, and goes against nature. who would condone it? im not saying being gay is bad, but im not going to encourage my son to be gay. and it has no place in church. the bible makes it clear. leave them alone, allright? dont push that gay garbage in there. i dont want it shoved in my face every turn.. a homosexual catholic, makes about as much sense as a pro choice catholic. you cant have it both ways people.

watch out where you tread dude. people take their religon seriously.....

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Funny thing about those.....If you substitute "10 reasons why your church sucks" for "10 reasons why the American education system sucks" then those same 10 ideas could be used for education as well.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
lol jazzerman... very true.. except for maybe the inbred part....

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
well, the same could be said goverment as well....

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
sublime...tell me exactly where the bible disagrees with Homosexuality? The fact is that it does not say anything even remotely clear on the subject, and its only the politics of the church that dictate the Homosexuals are bad.

PS- if anyone quotes from the bible, please don't use the King James version....its a completely inaccurate version of the original text. There are so many things wrong with the King James version as compared to older versions that its not even funny! Seriously, do the research and you will see for yourself.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If the church you attend is awful, then you need to search for one that isn't. Also if you can't find one within driving range then watch Charles Stanley, David Jeremiah on TV. Stay away from Robert Schuller.

God desires that you come to know Him better, and part of that is learning form others who know what they are talking about.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
lockheed....yeah, thats true. I guess the inbreeding one would be out......well........maybe........

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
tell me exactly where the bible disagrees with Homosexuality? The fact is that it does not say anything even remotely clear on the subject, and its only the politics of the church that dictate the Homosexuals are bad.

If you believe that the bible is the word of god then god has answered this question. Jesus is the god of the Old Testament. He destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of their grievous sinning, including rape and homosexuality. It is obvious that god doesn�t approve of these actions as stated in the book of Genesis. In fact if angered him so much that he destroyed the entire city.

You can find some verses in the Old Testament that say we must kill homosexuals however Jesus died for all sins for all time so this is no longer necessary, Jesus already paid the ultimate price for our sin. The New Testament says to �hate the sin and not the sinner�, so we should condemn the action and embrace the sinner.

Genesis 13:13

Now the men of Sodom were wicked and were sinning greatly against the LORD .

Genesis 18:20

Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

Genesis 19

The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. "My lords," he said, "please turn aside to your servant's house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning." "No," they answered, "we will spend the night in the square." But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom-both young and old-surrounded the house. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them." Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."

Lot was going to give his daughters to the homosexual mob of perverts that assembled outside his home to protect the two men. Although it was the custom of the day to protect guests at any cost, this terrible suggestion reveals how deeply sin had been absorbed into the lives of the people of Sodom. Lot had become hardened to evil acts in an evil city. Whatever Lot�s motives were, we see an illustration of Sodom�s terrible wickedness � a wickedness so great that God had to destroy the entire city.

bible.gospelcom.net...

bible.gospelcom.net...

bible.gospelcom.net...

Leviticus 20:13

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

God's Wrath Against Mankind

Romans 1:21-31

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

It�s clear the bible considers homosexuality a sin against God, but we must be careful, however, to condemn only the practice, and not the people.
Even Paul wrote of the wickedness of homosexuality.

Romans 1:18-29

God's Wrath Against Mankind

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28 Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity.

[edit on 24-7-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I do see some distinctions between my church (Church of Christ) and the Baptist churches in the area. Most of my friends at school go to church but only because food/basketball/gossip is offered, they could care less about morals. That church is very political but it is the only one like that I've seen.

A discussion we have had at my church a few times is about the building itself. The "church" is the people who attend, the building is just a building. I know that some churches are very big and expensive. However would you say the WW2 memorial is bad because it is all look and no action? It isn't bringing anyone back to life is it? It is built to remember and respect those who gave everything they had so we could be having this discussion. Those big beautiful churches are built to honor the glory of God and what he gave for us. We could meet anywhere and learn the same things.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
kinglizard....try again. None of what you just posted says nothing even remotely resembling "God hates Homosexuals". I am not a Christian, but no one I have ever asked to quote the bible for this supposed hatred of Homosexuals has ever been able to find any passages stating what I have asked.

The old testament is especially filled with text that can have more than one meaning. This stuff about "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."...this could mean anything!

Now, try to point out something saying Homosexuality is wrong, because you will be looking for it for the rest of your life!

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The old testament is especially filled with text that can have more than one meaning. This stuff about "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."...this could mean anything!

Ok, tell us what else it could mean? Seems very straight forward to me.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm not a big one for religion- but each to his own.
I myself have turned to the more spitritual side of tings, but in no way to i slate religion or anyone religious.

From what i have learnt being in a religion is like being in a community- you can prey on your own or all meet and pray together- its a really nice idea, but somethings i dont really agree with.

I also think that turning to a religion can help some people- they feel wanted and and that feeling of really believeing in something- i personaly dont know- i am just speaking from observations.

My view is that the bible was written for the purpose to bring morals to cilvillisation- its a story book filled with morals ( i hope i havent offended anyone)- like a book of life or something.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Its only how individual churches interpret the Bible. Again, your using the King James version which is totally inaccurate to the original text. Did you ever think the sin was not that they were having sex with men, but that they did so with younger people. Lot offered his young daughters instead of the men. Maybe the sin was not the Homosexuality of it, but that the group asking for the sex were evil. So, Lot offers his daughters to the men effectively making him a PIMP in all manners of the word, and therefore he has sinned as well.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

None of what you just posted says nothing even remotely resembling "God hates Homosexuals". I am not a Christian, but no one I have ever asked to quote the bible for this supposed hatred of Homosexuals has ever been able to find any passages stating what I have asked.

You can turn a blind eye to the passages I provided but they won�t go away. What part of �If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable� do you not understand? Its clear that the bible is telling us that homosexual acts are not acceptable to God and are considered a sin against his word.

You are free to believe anything you want and the homosexuality issue is not the intent of this thread so I won�t argue this point with you beyond this post. Take care�

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Did you ever think the sin was not that they were having sex with men, but that they did so with younger people. Lot offered his young daughters instead of the men. Maybe the sin was not the Homosexuality of it, but that the group asking for the sex were evil. So, Lot offers his daughters to the men effectively making him a PIMP in all manners of the word, and therefore he has sinned as well.

Lot was going to give his daughters to the homosexual mob of perverts that assembled outside his home to protect the two men. Although it was the custom of the day to protect guests at any cost, this terrible suggestion reveals how deeply sin had been absorbed into the lives of the people of Sodom. Lot had become hardened to evil acts in an evil city. Whatever Lot�s motives were, we see an illustration of Sodom�s terrible wickedness � a wickedness so great that God had to destroy the entire city.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join