It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terry Jones defiant despite murders in Afghanistan over Qur'an burning

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by guessing

No VIOLENT EXTREMISTS of all demographics are the problem. It is unfair to generalise whole groups of people, especially when it is only a segment of each causing the trouble.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It simply was an act of terror, a terrorist act that resulted in the deaths of 7 UN workers. Had he NOT burned the Koran with the media in attendance, there may be 7 UN workers still alive today.

Cause and effect.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Its been said already, but I'll say it again. These Muslims have no problem killing for their religion. (Note that I say "these"...not all) Given a button that would kill every non-Muslim in the world, they would push it in a heartbeat. They have no respect for human life. And all this over some idiot who decided to burn a book? What was it before...showing an image of Muhammad? Writing a book that speaks bad of Islam?

They say Islam is a religion of peace...they say anything but the truth. They are a true evil in this world and from what I've seen...a perfect and exact representation of most of Islam outside the USA. They are closer to the roots of their religion than Muslims in America...much like Christians during the Crusades.

Personally...I say burn all the Korans. Throw a party and make it a monthly event. Play it on TV. Hell...even print more Korans and burn them for the hell of it. Everyone needs to understand the mentality of these people, their governments and their religious idiocy. I hope the masses begin to see that these people are not peaceful and have no interest in "getting along". They want their religion to be the law of the world. And if you don't like it, they would be happy to send you on your way.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Then the analogy given by a previous poster is correct: if a non-American burns an American flag and then has his whole family murdered, that act of burning the flag was a terrorist act. Would you agree with this?

The problem with this line of thought is that it uses the "retaliation" alone as the reason to classify what happened as a Terrorist attack. This can be a dangerous mentality.

edit on 4/4/2011 by Dark Ghost because: clarity

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

If the person that murdered the family committed those crimes because of the flag burning, then yes, especially if the person burning the flag was doing it for that end.

The problem with this line of thought is that it uses "retaliation" alone as reason to classify something as an act of terror or not.

No, because the act of terrorism in this case is Terry Jones, who when he publicized his act, did so in order to cause disharmony, chaos, disorder, and fear in others. That is why it's terrorism.

I don't know, you may feel that what he did was a wonderful thing and that he should get the congressional medal of freedom. I believe he is guilty of reckless endangerment and I think the families of the people that died as a result of his actions should sue him for everything he is worth.

edit on 4/4/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

What we are saying is that Terry Jones committed an act of terrorism when he burned the Koran. He used the media in order to have people view this act of terrorism.

Terrorism-The deliberate commission of an act of violence to create an emotional response through the suffering of the victims in the furtherance of a political or social agenda; Violence against civilians to achieve military or political objectives

There was no violence to anyone else or threat of violence.........he burned a book..........thats not terrorism.....

Sorry you cant just use that term to push YOUR own views............

You say "crashing planes" isnt terrorism.......lol ok so i guess you consider suicide bombers just blowing things up?

You twist things to push your own ideology on this issue........you know damn well that it wasnt "crashing planes" or just "blowing up stuff"

nice try tho......

With your theology i could say that youre inflammatory comments could cause outrage, and therefore be terrorist in nature, you sir are a terrorist
edit on 4-4-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
So freedom of speech is fine until people get scared?

People in the middle east are burning US Flags and effigies of US politicians all the time. They're killing people who don't believe in their religion, killing people who convert from Islam, killing people who preach other religions than Islam.

Your character is you sticking by your values at a time when everything tells you to abandon your values.

Freedoms of others is what you protect when you least want to.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

There was no violence to anyone else or threat of violence.........he burned a book..........thats not terrorism.....

That's right, he BURNED a book which is a violent act.

Why did he burn the book? He didn't burn that book because he was cold, he didn't burn that book because he was illiterate and the book frustrated him. He burned it...

to create an emotional response through the suffering of the victims.

Those victims were the people who regard the Koran as holy.

While they definitely went WAY overboard in their reaction, you can't deny that they had an emotional response through their suffering.

You say "crashing planes" isnt terrorism.......lol ok so i guess you consider suicide bombers just blowing things up?

So, I imagine that you think that when "Sully" landed his plane in the Hudson, that the bird that went through the engine was a terrorist? Not all plane crashes are due to terrorism.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
If these Afghanistans care more about a book than civilians being killed in their country, including women and children, then their priorities are far off indeed, which makes me think this is all just propaganda. Show me some hard proof the koran burning in Florida caused a riot in Afghanistan. This should be fun.

I came here for info on this same thought and it took 7 pages for even 1 person to consider this oddity.
IMHO, there is no way that they can watch all the death of their neighbors, family and countrymen for these years and go off because some white guy in florida gets a soundbite.
Now, Karzai did mention it in a speech 4 days before. But to me, that would be like throwing a carrot in the big pot where the cannibals were allready preparing the nights meal. I simply cannot buy the supposed fact they rioted and beheaded "un officials" because of somewhiteguy in florida.
It's not like they are all hooked up to the net and read ats all day, watching youtube videos of the pastor. I do not know what is more hard to believe, the depth of how shallow and subjective every opinion on this seems to be, or tha anyone at all can believe someone on the other side of the world will behead and kill many other foreigners unrelated to the usa. I am having a difficult time understanding this story

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Why did he burn the book? He didn't burn that book because he was cold, he didn't burn that book because he was illiterate and the book frustrated him. He burned it...

While they definitely went WAY overboard in their reaction, you can't deny that they had an emotional response through their suffering.

So burning a book is a violent act but in your words crashing a plane into a civilian population isnt....

Nice man, real nice

it doesnt matter how you want to twist it......someone ELSES emotional response to burning a book doesnt make what HE did terrorism........

he burned a book , THEY KILLED people, THEIR act, was an act of terrorism..........

its just a book no matter how you cut it, just like a flag is just a flag etc etc etc........sorry youre just twisting things
edit on 4-4-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I don't think anyone of any religion has the right to murder someone just because a person burned their holy book. If someone murdered a person because they heard someone else had burned a Bible then we would be calling that person a religous nut and calling for his head on a platter.

The people who commited the murder are the ones to blame in this situation. Terry Jones did not harm anyone with his actions. He purchased a book and destroyed his own property. He did not commit any crime and is not at fault for the actions of the extremists. All day long they will say Islam is a peaceful religion and I agree. As long as you don't do anything to hurt their religious sensitivities they are peaceful. But if you even hint that you might show a picture or a drawing of their god then they will try and hurt as many non islamic people as possible.

Mind you that is only the extrimists.

We can't go around walking on egg shells in fear that something like this will happen. These extremists do not tolerate other religions and they must be held accountable. Not someone who is not afraid to speak their minds.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

How did burning this book cause them suffering? There are billions of Quarans in the world, tell me how burning one caused them to suffer so much that the only way they could express it was to go and murder seven people totally unrelated to the incident?

If someone caused me that much suffering I think I would go after that person.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
We have freedom of speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a theater...which is what the preacher is doi9ng.

Religion in my view is a problem and has never been a solution to anything. It's always a pissing match between whose invisible friend is better than the other and it's an excuse for violence. History bears this out.

Unfortunately, the folks in the middle east or a superstitious (religious) primitive society and will remain so as long as they cling to their tribal ignorances.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Maybe Terry Jones is doing what he was programmed to do.
2nd line

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The publicity he got was not his fault. It was the decision of the media to make it known world wide.

I would rather blame media than Jones if anyone has to be blamed. But I don't think burning Koran or making it public is wrong.

It was Moslems who always try to blame others for their own evil(killing) actions.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Sorry Wukky, but gonna have to disagree with your stance here.

The guy is trash, no doubt, but what he did is legal..the response was murder.

Consider a person whom says in public that Jesus was not a deity made flesh and then throws away a cross...a unstable man whom hears that goes on a shooting spree, killing anyone he believes to be atheist.

Consider a white man whom destroys on a youtube video some flava flav CDs and says white power at the end...does that justify a black man to kill any white man he notices because of it?

People have the right to be offended at someone...people have a right to be offensive to others...murdering because someone was offensive to you or your belief is wrong.

Now, someone intentionally trying to antagonize someone by basically destroying symbols they like is more than likely someone you wouldn't want to have a conversation with overall due to him being small...but, thats about it...

Best to simply step back and see the big picture...if you start making it illegal to do anything that may offend someones religion...ya..I am sure you can imagine where that will go.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It seems that all you people coming to defend Terry Jones's actions are acting as if he was some sort of hero.

The truth is, that had he not burned the Koran, a violent act for the purpose of causing terror to Muslim people, the UN workers might still be alive.

But no, none of you will get that point, because you all appear to be so brainwashed and think that all Muslims are evil, and in your brainwashed minds, believe that anything bad to happen to a Muslim is a good thing.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Its racists like you and this pastor that create the problems. If we all followed the golden rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you, the world would be a better place for everyone.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

His acts do not justify their acts, but his acts were WRONG DAMMIT HIS FREAKING ACTIONS WERE WRONG!!!!

Why doesn't anyone understand this?

It was wrong what he did. And because of his actions people died. He didn't kill them, idiots did, and they were wrong to do so! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO WRITE THAT BEFORE IT SINKS IN?

No really? Can you all give me a number so I can just paste it that many times in the failing hope that it might actually sink in? Because it's obvious that you people aren't getting it. I doubt you ever will at this point and I think that is a sad statement of some peoples reading comprehension skills.

People died because of this mans actions, while he didn't kill them himself, he might as well have. The people that did do the killing were in the wrong as well and there is no defense for what they did. But if he had not committed and act of terror against the murderers, those UN staffers might still be alive.

But no, you are all going to justify his actions as free speech, his actions that were intolerant, hateful, and got people killed.

I suppose to you all this man is a hero, and you all seem to be playing right into the holy war that some want.

Is that what you want? A holy war? What is that going to solve? I don't personally believe in either religion, so count me out in your crusades.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

It seems that all you people coming to defend Terry Jones's actions are acting as if he was some sort of hero.

The truth is, that had he not burned the Koran, a violent act for the purpose of causing terror to Muslim people, the UN workers might still be alive.

But no, none of you will get that point, because you all appear to be so brainwashed and think that all Muslims are evil, and in your brainwashed minds, believe that anything bad to happen to a Muslim is a good thing.

Sorry dude ... but what you are selling is pure bunk. Are you blaming all of the violent acts done by "peace loving" muslims in Afghanistan prior to Terry Jone's Koran burning on Terry Jones as well?

Were the attacks on the WTC and Pentagon the result of Terry Jones koran burning? All of those car bombs killing Israelis are the direct result of Terry Jones' actions?

Bombing of the USS Cole? 1998 Coimbaitore bombings? Assassination of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi? Beheading of Daniel Pearl? Terrorist attacks in Mumbai? Wood Green Ricin Plot? 2006 Transatlantic aircraft plot?

Trust me .... I can go on and on about how full of you know what you are.

I have no tolerance for people who are selling bunk, and I have no tolerance for hateful religions such as Islam.
edit on 4-4-2011 by GeisterFahrer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join