It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a Phobia? Share it!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have to say that this is my favorite thread!

All phobias and fears from spiders to snakes to elevators to dust bunnies and even sock puppets...

We are so unique in our ways yet so similar in our weaknesses and quirks.

Thanks to all for sharing thus far!

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sharp knives. Not butter knives, but any with a sharp point and sharp edge. I want to get rid of this phobia so bad!!! If anyone within 3 feet of me is holding a knife and it's aimed at me in any way, I feel like they're going to stab me at any moment. I keep telling myself, they're not going to stab me, they're not going to stab me. I know it's so irrational, but yeah, that's my phobia. Apparently it's called aichmophobia.

I also have a fear of dark creepy basements. I don't mind the ones that are well lit with carpet and fresh paint etc that look like another room. I'm talking about the ones with exposed pipes, dirty concrete floor, no drywall, and are not well lit. Those ones, I feel like they're haunted by ghosts and I dislike it very much. During the day it's not so bad, but at night, I have a fear of doing my laundry down there.

Edit:
Someone mentioned pets. That reminds me. My cat is afraid of me when I'm wearing my yeti hat. She tenses up and goes all rigid in fear. and if I get too close to her she'll run and hide under the couch or something. It looks like this. That's not me or anyone I know, obviously, but I was lucky enough to find a picture of my exact hat on the interwebs.

edit on 9/27/2011 by Xaberz because: someone mentioned pets

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I have a Phobia of jewellery or accessories attached to your bodies, but mainly jewelleries.

Its more of a disgust than fear for them, It started around 8-9 yrs old... im disgusted by the sight of them, i cant wear it, i dont want to touch people wearing jewellery. Mainly its the rings, esp the ones on Index fingers and Pinky fingers, others have subtle effect but still disgusted by them. Im usually ok/less disgusted around simple shaped things like simple wedding Bands(no stones or designs), simple chains without anything dangling,

I remember telling my mom about it years ago and she was like "that's silly" or "your are just too cheap to buy them"...The jewellery i have like, rinks,chains,bracelets, i only wear them for wedding and such, and im alway sin discomfort when i wear them... its sort of like... if you have a caterpiller or millipede on you hands and you just want to get rid of them.

For some reason wearing jewelley stuff as norm feels unnatural on my body. i can tolerate watches and can wear em, but still feels weird, im in favour of rubber over metal watches...

Anyone else have this phobia/disgust?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This thread is awesome. I read the whole thing.

Anyway I have some weird ones that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I have telephonophobia. I HATE calling/getting calls from people that I don't know. If it is family/friends, I'm okay with the phone but I still prefer texting with them. I really do not like talking to people on the phone especially because I can't see who I'm talking to. I'm not sure what that's about. 1. I can't see the person/their reactions/body language etc and 2. I don't have time to think of what I want to say. Sometimes when I know I have to make a call, I will write out what I want to say ahead of time because I get nervous and flustered while on the phone.

I also do not like the way gauze feels or how it sounds when it rips. There is a scene in Ocean's 11 where they wheel a guy into the vault and his hand with gauze wrapped on it gets stuck on something so he pulls his hand and it makes the worst ripping sound. I did not like that scene at all.

Also, I cannot stand dried up water lotus seed pods. Yuck!

I thought of one more, I have a fear of finding hair in my food as well.

edit on 7-10-2011 by LoveyLadybug because: added one more

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Seeing people (or just sentient creatures in general) in physical pain or even hearing/reading accounts of painful experiences - I lose it. I literally cannot handle it. I start squirming and all I can think about is jumping out of my now very clammy skin. Sometimes, my body even starts to mimic the experience I'm seeing or hearing about. It's very strange/uncomfortable/unsettling.

Interestingly, when reflecting on my own physically painful experiences (some of em pretty brutal) I feel nothing, zilch, nada, aside from "well that sucked". It's so weird, I literally CHECK OUT when I see pain or hear about it. Very odd.

That and wet doorknobs Freak. Me. Out.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have a touch of claustrophobia, fear of blindness, a great fear of heights because of a massive lemming urge and all wasps are evil and must die!.
Creepy things I don't mind so much as long as there isn't a great abundance of them. Spiders I don't mind at all since I used to keep two tarantulas, even waking up on the sofa at 8 months pregnant with a wolf spider sitting on my boobs staring me in the face didn't spark a phobia.

My most recent, sickening and stomach churning one now revolves around flies and maggots. Thanks to the move to two weekly refuse collections and the recent searing heatwave we experienced in the UK, I'm still trying to get over one particular occurrence.
This time of year flies shouldn't present a problem, but this heatwave had just started to subside before the council had taken the bin. It was still in the back yard. Both me and the little one had been out all afternoon hurriedly planting out some plants and bulbs before the weather took a turn for the worse that night. Nothing at that point was amiss.
Later that night after it was dark I was preparing a late supper and opened the kitchen window whilst I cooked. It was beginning to get cold again and the wind was mad.
I don't know exactly what prompted me to look at the window, but I saw these things creeping up the window trying to get to the hot air.
GODDAMN MAGGOTS! Millions of them. I almost bloody died!
They'd all got out of the firmly closed bin and were making a very adamant beeline for my house. I've no idea what was in that bin, but it shouldn't have been in there anyway. They were all over the yard, the windows, up the walls and up the backdoor trying to get through any way in they could find.
God I could vomit just thinking about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Catapedaphobia - fear of jumping from high and low places
Its not the height, its the edge, I'm the kind who jump off building edge without any reason, yeah the "mysterious suicide" type, prefer to be lay belly flat on the ground and inch away from the edge.

Snake
Common I guess ? I will follow / observe from extra safe distance, watching the snake until its gone to its hiding place/away, if it lose it, I will avoid the area for next 1 or 2 or 3 weeks. Last time, I lost it due to being shocked, for 2 month, every swish, wiss or weird sound i hear, that must it coming back. You can never be too sure!

Public toilet
I never do the dump other than in my own or parent or in law house. Not phobia, but this uneasy feeling of being interrupted, doing my best to hold it, can even reach more than half a month "holding"!

I claim I'm fearless of other things!

Add:
I do see wonders about others phobia, we are we weird ? hahahaha, no offense, but everyone got phobia, just how deep the phobia that make the difference.
edit on 4-11-2011 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have one weird phobia, i'm terrified of anything that happens to anyone's neck.

Sound weird? I know. I don't know what it is, i love horror movies, blood and guts don't bother me, virtually nothing does. But if they die from a neck wound? I can't handle it, I can't look. Achilles tendond, genitals, etc. All acceptable targets. Preferable, even. But a neck? I turtle and hide instantly. Creepiest, scariest crap on earth to me. I took quite a few years of martial arts too, and I get a bit jumpy whn people get close to my neck, or at least when i precieve them to be
It makes for some interesting situations

Interestingly enough, during... intimate times... getting kissed on the neck is a favorite. I can't figure it out.

Off topic but semi-related: The scariest movie I've ever seen is "The Cable Guy" with Jim Carrey. But other than that nothing gives me a jump except neck crap.

ugh, I'll probably be holding it for the next 20 minutes after this post, just from all the talk about it.
edit on 8-11-2011 by GringoViejo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am scared of: spiders, scorpions, needles, maniquines, sharks, and... yeah. Thats pretty much all.
Oh and tall places.
I always feel the urge to jump off xD
edit on 15-11-2011 by darkredfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
My phobias are:
spiders, bugs, sudden loud noises (balloons, guns, fireworks, blown up paper bags/plastic gloves etc), heights, going under water, roller coasters or any amusement park ride that is fast, some clowns, spider webs, spit (more just grosses me and makes me gag when someone spits or i see it on the ground)... I think that's it.

Life is interesting xDDDD

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Felyn
reply to post by jude11

He's a great guy, we've been together for 15 years and understands all my quirks.
As for the pipe organ though, not quite sure how that even manifested itself, I was never an avid church goer, only for weddings and such, but everytime I see one I will go to the clear otherside of the room, if they are the kind where the pipes reach the ceiling, good luck getting me to go inside. It's got to have something to do with the size and/or complexity. I get the same feeling (to a lesser degree because I'm not there) when I watch documentries about the Large Hadron Collider. The feeling is hard to explain, like a shot of overwhelming reality or something.

Totally reminded me of something that willies me out BIG time. Not a phobia though I WILL back off from it horrified: things that are bigger than they normally are. Hard to describe but like.... a few examples:
You know those teeny little green caterpiillars? maybe an inch long, few milimeters wide that are like inch worms? Well, one day as a little kid I was playing with my brothers outside - and one screamed and pointed at my arm at my shoulder - I looked and there was the BIGGEST fattest green caterpillar on there. Thing had to be 4 inches long and over an inch thick. I know today they're tomato caterpillars but my GOD.

Or, you know how dandelion stems are right? maybe 6 inches long and like.....half a centimeter thick maybe? Well again as a kid I was playing in the yard and there was this dandelion that had a stem that had to have been about 2 inches thick - and kind of flat. Scared the CRUD out of me because it was 'bigger than normal'. To this day anything that is grossly out of size freaks me out and I just stare in object horror at it.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I've got a phobia of 'sharing'...

He he
Akushla

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Great thread
makes me realize how many things I'm actually scared of

I noticed one thing that no one has mentioned - Mice - they seem to be a lot scarier than you think once confronted with one
a woman will scream everytime.

I had a friend who used to sleep with headphones on listening to music because he was scared of bugs crawling into his ears.

I'm scared of choking or someone around me choking while eating and their life being in my hands by having to perform the Heimlich Maneuver
, please take the time to chew properly!

When I was young I had a fear of a certain tempo of noise, I had nightmares of a sound similair to a fast-beating heart or something.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
greedy , dominant , authoritarian people scare the living feces out of me .
people who don't hold any respect for the free will of their fellow humans
but only care about earning more , more and moooaoaaar ,
wealth as well as some false sense of security tellin' these fools people are respecting this kind of behavior
but they're not . at least i'm not .
the only authority i respond to is my conscience.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am going to join in as I have one known fear. I was in a car being driven by a friend and the tunnel under the Sydney Harbour Bridge had not long been completed.

As we were nearing the bridge I asked my friend to go across the bridge the regular way and not go through the new tunnel as I had a fear of them - not so much the tunnel but the throught of all the water all around. He apologised as we were already going in - could not turn back. I started to feel my chest tighten - I was pulling the seatbelt away from my chest - I was having trouble breathing.

My friend realised I was serious and tried to use humour - he leant forward and touched the windscreen and said oh look a drop of water. It did not work I was not happy and not at all comfortable. I cannot explain my phobia and train tunnels are cool - just the tunnels that go under water. The physical symptoms stopped as soon as we came out and I saw the sunlight.

Love swimming - love the water - am a strong swimmer. Also I do have a sense of humour but during that few moments nothing was going to help me relax. I have no explanation for my phobia.

Friend taught me about her snakes so I have conquered that one. Cautious around spiders but can't think of anything that I would call a phobia. Anyone want to guess why a water lover would not handle being in an underwater tunnel?

Much Peace...and strength to conquer all your phobias...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
insects specially cockroaches phobia ughhhhhhhhhh
though i was a zoology student and have dissected a few insects but still can't tolerate any

and i hate even more when my husband said...."Grow up,,!! that's just a little insect".

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
my phobias/fears are ( aside from having PTSD)

heights - up high on a balcony or roof or any high up open type area. Once i am on ground level i will hurl although i have no issues with bridges airplanes or being inside a building and being up high.

Spiders - icky nasty buggers i hate them can't kill them either i scream like a lil girl and run so someone else has to smoosh them

Snakes - not sure why but i find them repulsive and icky

death - i am afraid to die (whenever it happens)

Freddy Kruger - yes i know he's fake but thanks to my brother who tortured me about being scared of him when i was little its stuck with me and i will now have to put on some music i like to keep the nightmares at bay (that is if i sleep)

getting shots/having blood drawn etc. i remember being held down as a child to get shots i've never liked needles however i have a tattoo and am pierced and i have no issues with that whatsoever

Dentists i hate going i quit going in fact which is bad but when i was young i think i was 7 i had a root canal done on a tooth ( IIRC the tooth was bad and the dentist didn't wanna put a spacer in) and i remember feeling pain and spitting blood and i later found out that he was in fact going deaf and did not hear me ( yes he has long been retired i do however remember biting his finger at a visit)

and for some reason i cannot stand nails on a chalkboard or the sound of someone filing their nails it makes my skin crawl!

and another odd thing i cannot sleep if the room i'm in has the door open i will wake up and/or not sleep this stems from seeing an old man standing in the hall way when i went to go potty when i was about 6 or so

and that reminds me i don't like being around old men they creep me out but this might be due to the fact that i was molested by my granddad on my mother's side. but all my life i have never liked being around old men well except my Papa ( mom's step dad) i love him to pieces.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I have a fear of heights, or is it? If I am over 3 meters and I look over I don't like it and I get scared. Ten years ago I went with a friend who invited me sky diving and I did. Am I a phobic of such or what? When I went sky diving the adrenaline and the feeling of the moment got me over the fear at that moment, but thinking of it I was so busy thinking of diving, I forgot my fear.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

Oooh man - I am always a couple of months too late with finding the best threads! Glad I am here now though...

The neck thing! I can totally concur!

I have always had great sensitivity with anything happening to my neck or other peoples' necks. It is so bad that I cannot wear dangly earrings - because if they touch and rub the side of my neck I go all freaky-deaky...

It is a very strange feeling - like my neck is cramping or like the muscles are tensioning up there... even the skin feels way too sensitive...

Glad I am not the only one. Musta had me head chopped off in a previous life or somethin...

O yes. And the heights thing. Only in tall buildings with edges. It is so bad that my feet starts cramping, and I have to sail away on my stomach. Bet I am the only one with such a bad heights phobia that it causes my feet to pain.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
i read the comment about cockroaches - lots of fascinating facts about the creepy crawlers - quite a clean insect really - always preening - it's the crap that they feed on that carries nasty germs - theophanes.hubpages.com...

spiders, well, i love watching them - i have 2 that live in my bathroom - i feed them chinese beetles (an invasive species killing our fruit trees and pecans) which were introduced from china (they say) to eat the kutzu that seems to be taking over our planet which was introduced by japan to stop erosion -

i love watching insects under a microscope - been a fascination since i was young - i just don't want them crawling on me -

i cannot cross a creek, a railroad track trusses without getting vertigo -
edit on 22-12-2011 by musselwhite because: ah, i needed to correct spelling, dah

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join