It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient tablet bears writing, to scientists' surprise

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ancient tablet bears writing, to scientists' surprise

www.latimes.com

Archaeologists have found a clay tablet bearing the earliest known writing in Europe, a 3,350-year-old specimen, which makes it at least 150 years older than other known tablets from the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is very interesting. The article says that no one expected to find writing in a "secondary capitol". But at the same time, they go on to say that most all writing on clay was not supposed to last more than a year before it was recycled... This one was accidentally "fired" and thus preserved.

My comment is that i think it's pretty stupid to assume that no writing was in these secondary cities just because they can't find it... Especially after they described how all writing was basically destroyed and the material recycled on a common basis... Duh!

It's like the Internet age, where the vast majority of our writing is digitized, never to be found later if electricity was to vanish from our cultures.... Or it was all "recycled" via EMP

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Ok so what does it say?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/443b6f085739.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b988f85f3b76.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1f32bd5b5b4.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Kowa?

Does anyone know what kowa is?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MockedUnicorn

Oh my gosh it's a note telling everyone this is the wrong planet and not to inhabit it or we will be sorry!

Run, run for your lives!

No wait, fly, fly for your lives!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think it says "boy a".

At least it looks like it, according to the following image.

Source: AncientScripts.com

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Interesting ko-wo or kowa = Boy-a
Is "a" just a letter or does the sound of "a" have a meaning too?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I don't know, but that "a" could be the start of another word.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Second thought....

Using the reference below, Could "ko-wo or kowa " not mean "Boy" but Male or Man...?
Read the sign for "Medicine" the last symbol is the same as the first symbol in the new find which appears to be broken off on the left.

So it could have read Medicine male or Medicine Man

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe0363645d5f.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/443b6f085739.gif[/atsimg]
edit on 2-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If the "ko" was from "parmako" then it was not from "kowo".

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Pamako Wa?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I don't know, I don't speak ancient (or even modern) Greek.

But why do you keep on talking about "wa"? According to that table, "wa" would be

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

I don't know, I don't speak ancient (or even modern) Greek.

But why do you keep on talking about "wa"? According to that table, "wa" would be

Just throwing it out there...

Asking questions is all.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
its ko-wo....then a symbol... then A......

i think its a symbol of zues...son of kronos....

so its ....boy...a god symbol....A...

first boy of god...which is zues

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Whew! When I first saw this news article, I was immediately terrified that our community would jump on it without reading the actual article, and begin alleging that it was proof that humanity went back farther than we thought. My faith in us is restored!

But I'd like to contribute to the discussion as well!

It may initially seem kind of ridiculous that it was assumed that there was not writing in these secondary city centers, but keep in mind: We've never found it in them before, and you would expect at least some of it to be preserved by other methods than happenstance, as (I assume) it was in major(er) population centers. There was little, besides the capability, to suggest that writing would exist with any prevalence where it wasn't necessary. Considering that it had to be done on clay, which was not exactly scarce, but was utilized for other things, written language was probably a luxury.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
its ko-wo....then a symbol... then A......

i think its a symbol of zues...son of kronos....

so its ....boy...a god symbol....A...

first boy of god...which is zues

Beyond "boy" -- what is your evidence? Which symbols indicate Gods, Kronos, or Son?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
maybe its as simple as it looks and was written by PAT, maybe the "woz ere" bit got broken off

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Whew! When I first saw this news article, I was immediately terrified that our community would jump on it without reading the actual article, and begin alleging that it was proof that humanity went back farther than we thought. My faith in us is restored!

But I'd like to contribute to the discussion as well!

It may initially seem kind of ridiculous that it was assumed that there was not writing in these secondary city centers, but keep in mind: We've never found it in them before, and you would expect at least some of it to be preserved by other methods than happenstance, as (I assume) it was in major(er) population centers. There was little, besides the capability, to suggest that writing would exist with any prevalence where it wasn't necessary. Considering that it had to be done on clay, which was not exactly scarce, but was utilized for other things, written language was probably a luxury.

Keep in mind that the majority of all sumerian writing we have because broken or erroneous writings were given away and used as building material...

Happenstance is how we know most of what we do about ancient writing... Like the uniqueness of the Rosetta stone.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
ok the small symbol before A...is MU or MEM...but it is written in pheonician....en.wikipedia.org...
i think it means water...seems like this is from the archaic greek period....

as for the word god, from the lower part
i compared it to the egyptian glyph for god and it also looks like the glyph for throne...a bit wrong i know...but i think it was from the origins of greece

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Regarding Phonecian, I undertand that the greek alphabet itself was a bastardized form of Phonecian used to write down something that was, up until then, only sung... The works of Homer... Which was actually a line of bards

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join