It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I just bought a new laptop (HP Pavillion dv6) w/ fingerprint scanner and....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
At first was like "Wow check this out babe it comes with a fingerprint scanner for secure log in! No more dealing with passwords and the like...woot woot!!" BUT THEN as I was just about to activate and set it up and step one asked me to scan my finger over the illuminated green light shining through the slit I stopped myself wondering if that would be the smartest thing to do
Call me a conspiracy freak but I have noticed a HUGE drive for the collection of biometric data over the past year or two, as well as when I went to buy my laptop I had originally went to Best Buy (but ultimately went on base and bought from the AAFES PX), but while at Best Buy my wife and I were shocked when we asked the young sales girl that was helping us "I am not interested in a laptop with integrated webcam. Could you show me which models I have to choose from without it?" and got the reply "Oh sorry, they ALL come with that option now" as if it were some sort of a bonus or something. But WAIT...YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T GET ONE WITHOUT INTEGRATED WEBCAM?!?!? And of course let us not forget that with that webcam you have an internal microphone!!!

So back on topic here....as much as I thought it was AWESOME that I had fingerprint scanning technology for my laptop access, I decided that it was probably in my better interest to NOT utilize that nice little convenient feature, and will also be figuring out how to deal with this webcam/microphone feature (everything from just taping some electrical tape over the camera lens. But am interested and would like to hear your all's thoughts on this please. What do you think? Have you also encountered this and if so what are your thoughts on it....am I being to paranoid here, or does a very real threat exist with this "convenient technology"?

In addition to my concerns I just wanted to make a post about it so that others my be aware of it as well because I almost subscribed to it with objectivity, consequence, and rational thought going out the window it can be that easy

edit on 2-4-2011 by Newbomb Turk because: Typo error

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I was tearing into a retired Army Sig Intel guy and he replied back he could see me thru my webcam. He even made the little blue light next to the webcam come on to show he could do it.

I erased windows and put linux on it. Tore out the wiring for the webcam. If you are using windows you shouldn't be worried about the webcam....you've got bigger security issues.

If you really want to be secure rip the harddrive out and boot up with a Ubuntu CD. Save all your data on a thumbdrive. Then you're secure with a virtual machine.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thats something I have always been worried about also. It would be too easy for "whomever" to obtain your prints from the HDD. I will say that the authentication software that came with my laptop has never asked for internet access whatsoever...so that made me feel at least somewhat better. As far as the built-in webcam the day I unboxed mine I printed a label and placed it over the lens and have never used it. They have a light that supposedly lets you know when its on or off but I am far too paranoid lol. Anyone ever noticed that when you visit certain websites it will flicker? Mine does at www.thevenusproject.com... for sure.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
My laptop has a built in camera.. and when I am not using it I tape a piece of paper over it, just in case. I never even heard of the fingerprint scanner technology on computers until your thread.. whats next, eye recognition?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
A fingerprint scanner would work for casual stopping of snooping. If they really wanted your data, they would turn off the computer plug in a bootable thumb drive turn on the computer and search for files on your hard drive. Then copy as they wish. Unless the fingerprint scanner were a control for encryption.

Don't forget about the thumb scanners, if they really want your data, they might take your thumb!
Not to say anything about eyeball scanners

As to spooks on the internet getting your thumbprint image it would be easy to get from the net. Operating systems are swiss cheese with backdoors mandated by 3 letter agencies.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
I was tearing into a retired Army Sig Intel guy and he replied back he could see me thru my webcam. He even made the little blue light next to the webcam come on to show he could do it.

I erased windows and put linux on it. Tore out the wiring for the webcam. If you are using windows you shouldn't be worried about the webcam....you've got bigger security issues.

If you really want to be secure rip the harddrive out and boot up with a Ubuntu CD. Save all your data on a thumbdrive. Then you're secure with a virtual machine.

Star for you just for mentioning linux, my wife has an acer lappy with Biometric finger print tech. which runs win vista......its sh!te.......she works in IT yet knows buggar all about linux and will not change, I however have Ubuntu 10.10 running on 10 year old Toshiba and recently brought my mums Toshiba which had vista.
I ran it for a couple of days and remembered why I made the change in the first place, I now have LinuxMint 10 installed and it runs like a dream.
Come on now people you really don't have to put up with this MS crap.
Theres some fantastic alternatives out there and there so easy to install......you won't regret it

Back on topic, I aint concerned about f/p technology or built in web cams but maybe my wife should be

edit on 2-4-2011 by KingAMARU because: I'm King

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I also tape my computer's camera when it is not in use. It's just creepy to have this "eye" watching you. As far as the scanner goes. I love mine. It saves so much time. I don't think places are collecting this data and I hope my computer doesn't give it out, but biometerics is an increases form of security and is mainly used for just that.
When you go to Disney World they scan your ticket and your finger and match the two together. Your name is never matched to the finger print so that info can't be stored. Your print could but not linked to your name, see?
You also need to think about how easy it would be to collect finger prints from someone if you really needed them. Just follow them around until they leave one behind. I already know the US government has my prints so there's nothing left for me to hide in that department.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

edit on 2-4-2011 by LadySkadi because: gobble

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Best advice yet.

I went to great lengths to get my IBM Thinkpad Z61t without a camera/mic/or fingerprint reader.

In fact, Mine is the only one I ve seen personally without these things. lol

No mic, no camera, no fingerprint reader, No window$.
No problem. lol

Seriously..
You should think about switching from windows to Linux, preferably Ubuntu.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I wonder if they put hidden cameras in computer screens with mikes and where they would be?

I agree with the linux, have been using it for years. Have tried both ubuntu and mint linux, plus several others, used to enjoy multibooting different linux, but my favorite with all the codec's in it an available, with my screen resolution a snap is Pclinuxos. Its the one I prefer and have on all the machines, though the kids have vista for games too.

So would their spyware cameras not work in linux?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I assume MAC's are NOT included in this, the same as Linux?

My Windows Laptop does a bloody update every time I switch it on, about once a week. Why can't the morons at MS get things correct to start with?

Hence the reason I use my new Macbook Pro which the OS is UNIX so I'm told no viruses either?

Bit worrying about the built-in webcams though, never used mine but might get the old sticky tape out now lol

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
I wonder if they put hidden cameras in computer screens with mikes and where they would be?

I agree with the linux, have been using it for years. Have tried both ubuntu and mint linux, plus several others, used to enjoy multibooting different linux, but my favorite with all the codec's in it an available, with my screen resolution a snap is Pclinuxos. Its the one I prefer and have on all the machines, though the kids have vista for games too.

So would their spyware cameras not work in linux?

Not unless you allowed it to connect.
Or were tricked into allowing it to connect.

Other than that, No.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad with the fingerprint scanner and no webcam. I like the scanner, but had to laugh when I was encouraged to scan more than one finger in case of injury.

I disabled web access on it as it is my work computer and I don't need the internet.

The only thing I don't know about is this "window" thing on the lower left part of the computer. It kinda looks like it could be a cam, but I don't know what it is.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
I assume MAC's are NOT included in this, the same as Linux?

My Windows Laptop does a bloody update every time I switch it on, about once a week. Why can't the morons at MS get things correct to start with?

Hence the reason I use my new Macbook Pro which the OS is UNIX so I'm told no viruses either?

Bit worrying about the built-in webcams though, never used mine but might get the old sticky tape out now lol

M$ doesnt want to 'get it right'..
they just want $$$$$$.

apple is almost as bad...

But you will still be far safer using your macbook. lol
Shouldnt have any virus problems.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I just bought a used IBM Thinkpad with the fingerprint scanner and no webcam. I like the scanner, but had to laugh when I was encouraged to scan more than one finger in case of injury.

I disabled web access on it as it is my work computer and I don't need the internet.

The only thing I don't know about is this "window" thing on the lower left part of the computer. It kinda looks like it could be a cam, but I don't know what it is.

Do you mean near where the "wireless switch" is?
(front of the laptop, bottom portion?)

If so, that is the "infrared sensor", so that you could use a remote control, for presentations, media, etc.

edit on 2-4-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The hardware is put there as part of the ongoing techno-race between all the corporate giants - nothing malicious on HP's side, trust me, they're too money/stock focused to be bothered with any sort of data/identity collection malarkey. Obviously it's the operating systems that can exploit this technology, at one time I'd just come back with the usual 'ahhh conspiracy paranoia', but nowadays you know, i'm really not so sure :O/

As much as I love tech, I'm also aware of the exploitative natures it brings with it - but with good common sense we can avoid such invasions of privacy, for example as already mentioned in this thread, just a simple piece of tape over your cam. Not a big hassle, but peace of mind.

Peace out

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

That's what I meant. Thank you, it was really bugging me not knowing what that was.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I like the scanner, but had to laugh when I was encouraged to scan more than one finger in case of injury.

By all means could you possibly scan all five lol!!!! Thats when you gotta start worrying.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Ahmose

That's what I meant. Thank you, it was really bugging me not knowing what that was.

No problem.
I don't like not knowing about features of my devices either. lol

What model Thinkpad did you get?

They are the best laptops ever! lol

I have 2, One is an old Thinkpad 600E (13 years old) running Lubuntu 10.04.
Still runs great though, for its natural given abilities. lol

My other is the Thinkpad Z61t~ Duo core , about 4-5 years old.. running Ubuntu 10.10
and it still smokes just about every other laptop made today.
I have friends with new laptops bought a month or two ago..
and they can't match the performance of this beast. lol

...if they removed windows and put something like Ubuntu on them..
they might have a chance of keeping up though...

In my experience, Thinkpads are the machine to buy!
and they last forever, (see my 13 year old) and are built like mack trucks. lol

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The "There are no viruses on Macs!" thing is such an overblown myth it is not even funny. Macs are just as prone to viruses as pc's, it all depends on your intelligence and what sites you go on

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join