It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California rainwater 181 times above drinking water standards for radioactive iodine-131

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoppy
I live in Northern California, and the local news finally (April 2) has a story about the danger of fallout:

Officials: No radiation danger to U.S.

Too bad the story is from the 17th.
This is frustrating.

All I can tell you all is when the lights are out I am glowing... CA coast...near Or border

edit on 2-4-2011 by hoppy because: added a word

edit on 2-4-2011 by hoppy because: removed the word I added

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
181 times above drinking water standards?
So what? Please, explain to me why I should worry, but without the first reaction logic. I want some hard medical advice here, as in academic quality sources from medical journals.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by anthbes

By the way Vodka's made with water too

I guess your best bet is the stuff made in France since the radiation would have to travel all the way around the world to get there and if it does it should be pretty weak/diluted by then good luck avoiding it though...

I got ONE word for ya: Moonshine.

Try finding water in THAT!

It's Pucker Time folks. This is gonna be a big turd sammich, and we're all gonna have to take a bite.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

radiation=bad!!!! -signed, every doctor on the planet

well, the doctors against the people that raised the limit of radiation you can get acceptably exponentially, rather than preventing and informing. hows that for cheap? those same doctors make loads of money when a quarter of the us mystically gets cancer and kids are dying, they will say you are fine, go drink some milk, go for a jog, splash in all the puddles.

ps, just go look up some medical journals acceptable enough? main point is that it builds up and doesnt go away. 181 times the standard is 181 times the limit before it can cause cancer when you have multiple exposures (ie drinking more) now what does that say about how much quicker this particular water will kill you? most people arent good with math, but everyone reacts differently, we all have differing constitution
edit on 3-4-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I wonder if reverse osmosis filtered water gets rid of it?...This is only gonna get worse because Japan is getting worse and they do not have the problem under control.......I feel so sad for the people in Japan.

Something we all can do now is eat healthy, fruits, veggies and take supplements that can strengthen our immune systems....We need all the help we can get.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarLightStarBright2
I wonder if reverse osmosis filtered water gets rid of it?...

the problem is that once its there, radiation will move from medium to medium, spreading as the wind blows it. by now, its definitely in the soil, possibly the groundwater, but definitely everywhere else...im sorry to the people in cali, oregon, and japan. though if 2012 is an asteroid, you wont have to fear any radiation really. that is the little bit of good news that can come of it now.

i dont want a zombie apocalypse =(

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sliceNodice
181 times above drinking water standards?
So what? Please, explain to me why I should worry, but without the first reaction logic. I want some hard medical advice here, as in academic quality sources from medical journals.

Finallyl, someone trying to inject some reason into this argument. Radiation levels have to be thousands of times above "normal" to start being hazardous/ I don't know what the figure is, and I don't care. Till someone posts otherwise, radiation must reach 10 000 times "normal" to start being hazardous to life. Please someone find out if you are concerned,, maybe it is 100 000 times "normal. But 181? cmon. Someone who is bothered, plz do research...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

You speak like you know a lot. However, you forgot to feel sorry for Hawaii. Not that I don't agree with some of your points and/or theories, but you should label them as just that. You're acting as if what you speak is factual, and much of it is not. Also, when trying to provide facts, you must also provide sources. I'm looking forward to your next post.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

Amen, brother. Somebody needs to be keeping the people informed. Personally, I was quite angered to see this whole thing drop off the news cycle as quickly as it did. This is probably one of the biggest disasters in human history and it's already slipping into oblivion. I believe the mindset with the MSM is "out of sight, out of mind". If they don't report it, then we can't ask questions.

I believe radiation issues will be a major concern in many parts of the US and to not be monitoring the levels and keeping the people up to date is nothing short of criminal.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I live in Maine and we have reports of iodine in the air around here but the levels are extremely low. I believe iodine loses half it's radioactivity every 8 hrs or something like. Not trying to downplay it as it sucks no matter what, but the iodine is not the biggest worry, it's the other radioactive material in those plants we need to be concerned about. I will say I don't like how things are being downplayed as it should be looked at seriously and more information needs to be provided to the public to keep fears low with actual numbers and not just saying things are ok. People are running out and buying iodine tabs and if they start using them they can get into more health related issues from that than they iodine from fukishima right now.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Iodine-131 may not be the only concern in the future if the slightly heavier and longer-lasting isotopes experienced after Chernobyl make it across the Pacific. The food monitoring results from FDA and others following the Chernobyl accident support the conclusion that I-131, Cs-134 and Cs-137 are the principal radionuclides that contribute to radiation dose by ingestion following a nuclear reactor accident, but that Ru-103 and Ru-l06 also should be included.

A good article on milk and radioactivity can be found here:

pstuph.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/radiationmilk/

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
That is ok OP....the EPA is Ready to Massively Increase ‘Permissible Radioactive Release’ Guidelines

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FedSen

were in Maine are you from? I'm on the mid coast ...i'm a little concerned as well after hearing about the rain water results hear. I bought some potassium iodide a while ago but dont feel the neeed to use it. hope i never have to.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NRGFreq

I second that. .... also, I think japan issue just might produce and produce issue in California. note: central valley of California Feeds Millions and Millions, turn it off... and you go hungry ba ba bah.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
2008: Baba Vanga speaks of conflicts in "Indonesia" leading to the upcoming WWIII, but I've seen some people say that Indonesia had been mistranslated and it's meant to read "India". This will also involve the attempted assassinations of 4 heads of state. Since I'm writing this in January 2009 I've seen numerous names thrown out as possible candidates for the assassination bit - including Barack Obama due to the white supremacists' foiled plans. Think what you want about this one.

2010: World War 3 begins in November 2010. Starting as a regular war, it will progress to a nuclear and chemical war. Vanga says the war will be finished by October 2014.

2011: As a result of the war, radioactive showers will destroy almost all life in the Northern Hemisphere. The remaining Europeans will face an even further threat from the Muslims who will use chemical weapons to finish them off.

2014: As another result of the chemicals and nuclear weapons during the war, most of the world population will have skin cancer and other skin diseases.

2016: Europe is nearly uninhabited.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Iodine-131levels were 100 to 1000 times higher in the 1950s and1960s due to all the above ground nuclear testing.

You never heard about in if you were alive then because for the most part it was never tested for or was classified information.

In some areas around the nuclear test site in Nevada the iodine-131levels got to 1,000,000 time what they are now.
mason.gmu.edu...
frwebgate.access.gpo.gov...:44045.pdf

Iodine 131 has a half-life of eight days. So if you age your beer about two months it should be fine.

milk buy powdered milk and store it for a couple months to allow the iodine to decay.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

edit on 3-4-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hi all,

firstly sorry if this has been covered before. The figure at which radiation becomes dangerous to us needs to be cleared up. I found this which is based on guidelines from the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP):

www.mcgill.ca...

i know some folks browse at work so for their benefit the above links to:

"The effective dose limit for Nuclear Energy Workers, as prescribed by the CNSC, is 100 mSv (10,000 mrem) for 5 years (with a maximum of 50 mSv in any given year or an average of 20 mSv/yr for 5 years) for whole-body exposure. For Radiation Users and "members of the public" the corresponding limit is 1 mSv (100 mrem) per year."

Although the ICPR hold that "there is no safe level", from this i gather that 1mSv is considered the maximum limit? There seems to be a lot of figures dancing about 'mass-media scare machine' so i think a lot of people (including myself) are still confused as to how "10,000,000 times normal" statements actually relate to our lives.

thanks for listening...
Thundersmurf
Peace

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
So does this mean we can get rid of Nuclear power plants now? The coast are becoming
unsafe mainly due to man made reasons (gulf oil spill).
Yet tptb are holding on to outdated energy sources despite the dangers towards the health of the planet and it's inhabitants.
I'm convinced that the governments of the world are trying to kill us.
edit on 3-4-2011 by Teeky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
As a resident of California this really hits closer to home then ever before. If only there were measures installed to prevent this from happening but then again information is always distorted and hardly reveals the true dangers that happen most of the time.

yep, I'm in los angeles and this hits close to home. I'm going to take spirulina and chlorella regularly now, both promote flushing radioisotopes from the body. I think everyone should do likewise, just to be safer..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join