It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

second hand smoke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So my dad is a hard core smoker and admits that it's bad for him. But he doesn't believe in second hand smoke! I'm 16 and have to live with him and I hate cigarette smoke and can't convince him it's bad for me. I mean i'm outside a lot and I stay away from it as much as possible, so that helps but i'm still around it sometimes. He says theirs no evidence that second hand smoke exists. My mom doesn't like it either, she says it's his addiction talking.

So my plea to you.... Please post concrete evidence or a link to concrete evidence that second hand smoke does exist and that it is bad for me.

I want this to be a collection of facts that I can show him and try to convince him it does exist.

Thankyou!
all the best,
Jacob
edit on 2-4-2011 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Secondhand smoke is a very real threat to human health and you are being more than reasonable by asking that your dad stop exposing you and your mom.

There are many different studies that have been conducted by researchers worldwide. Using the scientific method, they have produced a great body of evidence that shows a strong correlation between secondhand smoke exposure and the incidence of cancers. PubMed, a database maintained by the National Library of Medicine at the National Institute of Health, provides free access to a large body of research about the situation.

You don't have to be a smoker for smoking to harm you. You can also have health problems from breathing in other people's smoke. Secondhand smoke is the combination of smoke that comes from the burning end of a cigarette, cigar or pipe and the smoke exhaled by the smoker. Secondhand smoke contains more than 50 substances that can cause cancer. Health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke include lung cancer, nasal sinus cancer, respiratory tract infections and heart disease. There is no safe amount of secondhand smoke. Children, pregnant women, older people and people with heart or breathing problems should be especially careful.
NIH: National Cancer Institute

www.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 4/2/11 by stalphos because: Insert NIH quote

edit on 4/2/11 by stalphos because: Fix grammatical errors, spelling, and style.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The most comprehensive resource I could find is this one...

www.cancer.org...

Please notice the additional resources at the bottom.

Good luck on helping your Dad quit. I admit to being a smoker and it is the STUPIDEST decision of my life.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I personally don't know anyone who got ill from second hand smoke. Do you? I'm sure it's not good for you, but you would probably have to be exposed to some serious smoke for a very long time to die from 2nd hand smoke. You should try to get your dad to quit anyways though, cigarettes are worse for you now than they were 5 years ago.

The largest and longest study (Enstrom & Kabat) followed more than 35,000 subjects for almost 40 years and found no significant risk associated with second-hand smoke. Similarly, the World Health Organization spent seven years at a dozen research centers in seven countries and came to the same conclusion. This must have been very embarrassing to the WHO because they subsequently tried to do an about face with a paper titled Don't Let them Fool You. I read it carefully and had to wonder just who was trying to fool whom?

www.psychologytoday.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

I will post this link instead of embedding it as it has strong language, but it has 3 parts and is a very good watch.
Not only that it's entertaining.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Had to laugh reading this bit by Lebowitz in a piece done by Barbara Amiel in Canada's McLean's Mag.

www2.macleans.ca...

Sacred moo cows of every colour are shooed off by Lebowitz, who can link oranges to giraffes or in this case smoking to homosexuality. “When I arrived in New York in 1969, gay bars were illegal, in back rooms, but you could smoke in them . . . Now gay bars have plate-glass windows, they have valet parking, people sit in the windows, but you have to go outside to smoke . . .

“If you had told me when I was 14 years old that the behaviour in which I engaged that would have been considered most deviant would have been cigarette smoking I would have had a whole different adolescence . . . All the things they say about second-hand smoking now they used to say about homosexuality. You can’t be around children. It was really the second-hand nature of homosexuality. You will live to see that this data on second-hand smoke is fudged.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I remember a manager at the restaurant i worked at (when you could smoke inside). she went for bloodwork and they found nicotine in her blood, and she was a non smoker.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Try here brother :

Smoke-free Homes and Cars Program

www.epa.gov...

They have lots of helpful info, also you can contact them if need.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Second hand smoke is the biggest farce perpetrated on the American people. The whole thing with second hand smoke is to use the hysteria and hype as a way for government to control what private business and private citizens do in their lives. They used it to control businesses. The government stepped in and said businesses had to comply with their rules for the good of the people. Now they’re using it to come into home and control private lives. Neighbors can’t be subjected to second hand smoke from down the street…can’t smoke in the car if you have kids or dogs in there… Don’t be so flippant kid, they’re going to do the same thing with soda, fast food (your Mc’y D’s) bet your old man will be laughing then, and ALL aspects of life. Pay attention kid, cuz their coming for you!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by D1Useek

Are you a smoker?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by D1Useek
Pay attention kid, cuz their coming for you!

Right on the money!

I remember when there was the big push to ban smoking and there was one sanctimonious ass in my crowd who was a holier than thou promoter of the ban. I reminded him at that time that while no sane fool could ever defend smoking, if he thought that these health gods would stop at smoking he was whistling in the wind. He laughed at me.

Now that owing to wildly aggressive drinking and driving laws he has been busted twice - after 40 years of acident free driving - and he is continually attacked by his peers because of his weight, he has changed his tune a llittle.

Live and let live, and tell the PC Police to take a hike.
edit on 2-4-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

How about putting on some shorts and surfing the web on your own and then post some interesting facts about second hand smoke

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The debate on second smoke is in many ways like the debate on global warming. If you search the web you will find untold reasonable sources on both sides of the argument, and both debates have a plethora of types very willing to jump on the bandwagon of which ever side has the most momentum in order to make a tonne of money.

It is *ALWAYS* about the money.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

www.smokingaloud.com...

It is not bad for you and will not harm you.

Man up. You are buying into the lies.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Yah, I'm a smoker. So go ahead and bash me. I know it's bad for me, but I've given up alot of other things in my life that quite honestly were more harmful. Maybe someday I'll quit, maybe not. I'm mindful of secondhand smoke though, so.. I don't around ppl, I walk off by myself. I smoke outside the house unless the weather conditions are bad. I have a smokeless ashtray in the house. But, like a few posts above, it's all about the money, lobbying and gvt gaining control over how ppl use their recreational rights. Every year it's something new. Thier poisening our food.. I think that's worse. I haven't eaten at a McDonald's or any fast food restaurant for a long time. Just continue to tell your Dad that you love him and are concerned about his health. Don't push him. Whenever he lights up, just walk away and say I love ya!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OP, I would see if you can convince your dad to smoke outside. I don't have any links you can show your dad, but I can give you some observations (really, mostly aggravations) from a smoker's point of view. The "danger" of secondhand smoke, imho, depends on the sensitivity of those subjected to it. Realizing these things has helped me cut back from almost 3 packs a day to just under a pack a day, just because some of them really tick me off. Maybe some of these (and you might have some of your own) are things you could subtly remark to your dad without overtly linking them to wanting him to quit.

-My mom was a smoker until I was in my 30s. It didn't affect me physically.
-I noticed, in my early 20s, that after a night out or a concert, I would wake up very short of breath- so much so that if I had to sneeze, it was impossible for a while to do so without choking. It felt like I'd been screaming, which I hadn't. At that point, I smoked about a pack a day, was very active, and had no problems any other time.
-I developed asthma at 28; pretty severe for about 3 years, but it was an allergy to perfumes/ smells and related to stress. Ironically, it got worse when I tried not to smoke. It's rare now unless I'm exposed to smells or really stressed out.
-Besides the obvious- that smoking is a filthy, stinking, offensive, and wasteful habit, it destroys your environment and smokers take it with them everywhere they go. The paint on the walls, carpet, upholstery, clothes- all of it is permeated with the smell of stale smoke and discolored by it. Flat ruined. Being in a closet doesn't protect clothes from the yellow stains that accumulate on the shoulders of light colored garments. (Maybe you and your mom should completely redo a room and keep the door closed. The smell is HEAVEN and it *really* plays up the difference) It gets in your hair (because of natural static). Guys can get away with washing their hair everyday because of frequent (well, usually) haircuts, but that ruins long hair.
-I stopped smoking in the car whenever I was stopped and I rarely smoke around other people. Has anyone ever realized how ridiculous it must look to be sucking on a cigarette? Unless a person is extremely vain, self conscious and posing, it's not "sexy, rugged, suave, etc" the way it's portrayed in print. It's about as dangerous as talking on a cell phone or eating when you're actively driving. (see next item)
-Smokers are subjected to the constant hassle of ashes, (inevitable) cigarette burns on favorite- and new things, eventually, and stains on our fingers. No matter how meticulous we might be in our habits, smoking makes slobs of us. There's ALWAYS a sprinkle of ashes and a filthy, gunky ashtray nearby. Always.
(-there's always the "barbequeing your face", too- which is true, but this is getting too long...)

Worst of all, unless you have more money than God, there's almost always something you would love to have or do- and YOU COULD sooo easily and so soon, if you weren't spending the money on cigarettes.

Forget the "unhealthy" and forget the hype. Forget the infuriating little nazis who want to control everyone else to the point that all people must breathe and eliminate waste ONLY in the State-prescribed manner. There is a personal interest for everyone in not smoking and that is the only thing, really, that will get a person to quit.
*I do think that smokers should have a "separate but equal" place to be themselves and I do think it should be up to the individual business owner whether their establishment is "smoking" or "smoke free" (gak. Sorry, but it's sooo condescending) People have feet and should exercise their Free Will to use them. There is such a thing as take out.
It would be really nice if a cigarette was something we could have occasionally as a "special treat". Sadly, that's not the way it works for most people.

For the record, the most effective method *I've* found for not smoking is procrastination. You can get *hours* out of "just one more thing" or "ina minit" and it's pretty much painless.

I wouldn't worry so much about second hand smoke. My MIL died from lung cancer (treatment) and literally no one around her smoked, her entire life. A few years ago, Vogue magazine had an article on the increasing number of (especially) women with lung cancer seemingly unrelated to smoking. I'm a lot more worried about chemicals (including those that "reduce pollutants"). There's no way we can avoid those (since they're sanctioned by The State) and they affect everyone. (And another thing. The "additives" now required to make cigarettes go out so that they have to be re-lit constantly? I predict a future increase in nasal cancers and on the face from having/ inhaling butane- or whatever, right in our faces so much. Heh. They'll get rid of of us or get rich off of us one way or another)

Hope this helps!

edit on 2-4-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: a line got eliminated that I wanted in there

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Actually,

Smoke from natural tobacco (without the added chemicals and flavors to make you more addicted) works as a anti-carcinogenic agent.

Meaning you won't get cancer from it, AND it actually prevents it.

And yes I really know what I'm talking about.

-edit-

That counts for marijuana too!
edit on 2-4-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Secondhand smoke contains more than 50 substances that can cause cancer. Health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke include lung cancer, nasal sinus cancer, respiratory tract infections and heart disease. There is no safe amount of secondhand smoke.

Like I am going to believe something THE GOVERNMENT is telling me!!!! NOT!!! Yes, I smoke......and agree smoking is not good for you. But, I believe there are many more hazards in our air than second hand cigarette smoke!!

Second hand smoke is the biggest farce perpetrated on the American people. The whole thing with second hand smoke is to use the hysteria and hype as a way for government to control what private business and private citizens do in their lives. They used it to control businesses. The government stepped in and said businesses had to comply with their rules for the good of the people. Now they’re using it to come into home and control private lives.

A few years ago, Vogue magazine had an article on the increasing number of (especially) women with lung cancer seemingly unrelated to smoking. I'm a lot more worried about chemicals (including those that "reduce pollutants"). There's no way we can avoid those (since they're sanctioned by The State) and they affect everyone.

The findings are certain to be an embarrassment to the WHO, which has spent years and vast sums on anti-smoking and anti-tobacco campaigns. The study is one of the largest ever to look at the link between passive smoking - or environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) - and lung cancer, and had been eagerly awaited by medical experts and campaigning groups.

Yet the scientists have found that there was no statistical evidence that passive smoking caused lung cancer. The research compared 650 lung cancer patients with 1,542 healthy people. It looked at people who were married to smokers, worked with smokers, both worked and were married to smokers, and those who grew up with smokers.

The results are consistent with their being no additional risk for a person living or working with a smoker and could be consistent with passive smoke having a protective effect against lung cancer.

Second Hand Smoke is NOT Dangerous

The, above, link is a blog. However, links are provided as a back up to what is being said. Sorry, but I believe all the crap in our air is causing the most damage. We are exposed to many more dangers - other than second hand smoke. I just do not understand how so many people can be blind to this. Amazing..................

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PureET
Actually,

Smoke from natural tobacco (without the added chemicals and flavors to make you more addicted) works as a anti-carcinogenic agent.

Meaning you won't get cancer from it, AND it actually prevents it.

And yes I really know what I'm talking about.

-edit-

That counts for marijuana too!
edit on 2-4-2011 by PureET because: (no reason given)

Please present evidence and links to support your words.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

There are ALWAYS Two Sides to a Story , Case in Point , this Article ..........Believe what you want to Believe People..........

www.journaloftheoretics.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join