It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was There a Natural Nuclear Blast on Mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Was There a Natural Nuclear Blast on Mars?

www.foxnews.com

About 180 million years ago, a planet-shattering yet naturally occurring nuclear reaction may have wiped out everything on Mars, sending a shockwave that turned the planet into dry sand.
Even more incredible: A natural nuclear reaction could have occurred on our own planet -- and could happen again, said Dr. John Brandenburg, a senior propulsion scientist at Orbital Technologies Corp.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have no idea what to make of this story. I have never heard of a natural nuclear blast before, other than a star I suppose, but it doesn't sound very friendly. I am curious as to determining the difference between natural and artificially produced like that of weaponry. Has anyone heard of this before? What is a natural nuclear blast exactly and how do they occur?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4/2/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
now i see posted under a different title apologies

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Already covered Here.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

COVER UP

Radiation occurs naturally in the environment. Everyone's already exposed. Blahblahblah. Nuclear explosions happen naturally. Blahblahblah. Think of the nuclear meltdowns in Japan as part of the natural order.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

"naturally occurring nuclear reaction" wait a sec, lets read that again, "naturally occurring nuclear reaction"

It was not ancient astronauts or beings living on Mars it was a "naturally occurring nuclear reaction" caused no doubt by atmospheric lensing of the light from Venus as it passed through swamp gas escaping from a weather balloon.

"According to Brandenburg, the natural explosion, the equivalent of 1 million one-megaton hydrogen bombs"
I hate when that happens!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would not find it surprising in the least.....there is more we DON'T know about our universe than what we do know. We are just scratching the surface of any of a plethora of things that could happen that would end life as we know it on this little jewel of a planet of ours.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Maybe it was something similar to the Tunguska event? Except on way more of a larger scale. Some theorise that the event was caused by a fly-by comet that put too much pressure on the atmosphere causing a nuclear like reaction. Anythings possible but to me i think someone would have noticed a freaking comet that close to the earth...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It is not unheard of that there are natural nuclear reactors. But it hasn't happened on Earth in millions of years (that we know of, anyway):

Oklo Reactor

A natural nuclear fission reactor is a uranium deposit where analysis of isotope ratios has shown that self-sustaining nuclear chain reactions have occurred. The existence of this phenomenon was discovered in 1972 at Oklo in Gabon, Africa, by French physicist Francis Perrin. The conditions under which a natural nuclear reactor could exist had been predicted in 1956 by Paul Kuroda.[1] The conditions found were very similar to what was predicted.

Oklo is the only known location for this in the world and consists of 16 sites at which self-sustaining nuclear fission reactions took place approximately 2 billion years ago, and ran for a few hundred thousand years, averaging 100 kW of power output during that time.[2][3]

Now, on the scale that they are saying for Mars? I don't know. I doubt it. I would sooner believe electrical arcing from a cosmic thunderbolt than a nuclear reaction of that size not decimating the planet completely.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
An American inventor John Kanzius found out in 2007 that radio frequency emissions at the right frequency can take water and make it separate into Hydrogen and Oxygen much more efficiently than electrolysis....he can make salt water BURN and BURN in the upper Kelvins. Sun temperature burning.

Black holes emit RF radiation as well as Quasars and if they pointed their energy beam at Earth....our entire planet would errupt into a natural nuclear explosion.

Just as Mars had happen to it.

We are at a new Dawn in Physics. We can now take stable radioactive material and beam RF Radiation into it to make it generate power as Beta Decay is increased....then if something goes wrong...merely turn off the RF Radiation and the rock turns back into it's stable state.....new Generation of Nuclear Power. Could also be militarized.

We can send a RF Radiation signal to Russian's nuclear warheads in their silo's and make them beta decay in 5 seconds....releasing more energy in split seconds than even their nuclear blasts. Making the radioactive material beta decay over 5 seconds in which would normally take millions of years. Even after a nuclear blast not all nuclear material is used....we now can render any countries nuclear weapons dead.....and completely destroy Russia before they ever fired their nuclear weapons off...The resulting radiation release in split seconds would destroy everything BUT there would be NO radiation whatsoever minutes following the discharge as ALL energy would beta decay to stable molecules within seconds. Fathom that energy release. Some scientists think it would open up a hole in Earth as the temperatures would be so high...Hyper Typhoons with +300mph winds forming around the country as air rushed in....major destruction merely from a directed RF signal.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
As strange as the O.P sounds, according to the studies carried out at Oklo in Gabon Africa, a natural occuring nuclear reactor is possible.

A natural nuclear fission reactor is a uranium deposit where analysis of isotope ratios has shown that self-sustaining nuclear chain reactions have occurred. The existence of this phenomenon was discovered in 1972 at Oklo in Gabon, Africa, by French physicist Francis Perrin. The conditions under which a natural nuclear reactor could exist had been predicted in 1956 by Paul Kuroda.The conditions found were very similar to what was predicted.

Oklo is the only known location for this in the world and consists of 16 sites at which self-sustaining nuclear fission reactions took place approximately 2 billion years ago, and ran for a few hundred thousand years, averaging 100 kW of power output during that time.

Natural nuclear fission reactor

About 1.7 billion years ago, to be more precise, a natural deposit of uranium ore was radioactive enough to generate about 100 kilowatts of heat, off and on, for more than a million years

At Oklo there was a lot of water, probably a river flowing above the buried orebody. The water allowed the nuclear interactions to reach the critical point, and the reactor began to work. But as it heated up, the water turned to steam and flowed away. With the moderator gone, the chain reaction stopped and did not start again until the orebody cooled and the water returned. This simple feedback cycle kept the Oklo reactors (there were at least a dozen of them) active until the U-235 was depleted. That took about a million years. When the Oklo mine was producing ore in the 1970s it was that telltale depletion of U-235, unheard-of in nature, that tipped scientists off.

The Oklo Natural Nuclear Reactor
NATURAL NUCLEAR REACTORS (OKLO)

So based on this information, it's there-for possible that a nuclear explosion(s) may have occured naturally sometime in Earth's past.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Now, on the scale that they are saying for Mars? I don't know. I doubt it. I would sooner believe electrical arcing from a cosmic thunderbolt than a nuclear reaction of that size not decimating the planet completely.

The Oklo thing - yeah, I could sort of see it being possible. Heck, we've caused criticalities HERE and not meant to. It doesn't have to go "bang", necessarily. NOT banging is a big plus for me in terms of believing it - say you somehow got enough uranium in one spot and then getting the thing full of enough water for moderation (or coal, I guess) while NOT getting enough natural neutron absorbers in the same deposits - maybe.

But getting a spontaneous "bang" - not a fizzle either but a really BIG one. Man, the prerequisites for that are astronomically against the odds. I'd rather buy that the ur7** from Cepheus II had a starship explode because they forgot to change the oil at 15,000 light years.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Already covered Here.

thank God for the minimods to come and save the day. How ever would we have been able to contribute to this thread if you hadn't warned us that another one has been created already. Thank you all powerful minimod.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
We can send a RF Radiation signal to Russian's nuclear warheads in their silo's and make them beta decay in 5 seconds....releasing more energy in split seconds than even their nuclear rushed in....major destruction merely from a directed RF signal.

RF radiaton can be blocked with a faraday cage, I would think. But the scalar sort , No.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Natural? Search soul memories. Many here have mars as their past. There was nothing natural about that. That is the same group in opposition as we're facing here, and there was a war and the bad guys won. Odd choice for name, I remember. I am awake.
edit on 3-4-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
So what do you think the sun is? God's flashlight?

Oh no, can't be a naturally occurring nuclear reaction anywhere in the universe. Oh no, can't possibly happen!

The sun? Don't be absurd, that's just god holding a flashlight on this flat Earth.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Natural? Search soul memories. Many here have mars as their past. There was nothing natural about that. That is the same group in opposition as we're facing here, and there was a war and the bad guys won. Odd choice for name, I remember. I am awake.
edit on 3-4-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Why so quick to judge they were "bad" guys? Because they blew up their entire civilization? There is no "good" or "bad", just experiences and learning/teaching. I agree though, many of the incarnated here today are "martian", just continuing their/our Journey of (re)Discovery as we experience, explore and learn/teach more about Consciousness.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The chances of this happening would be like winning the lotto while being struck by lighting at the same time.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
The chances of this happening would be like winning the lotto while being struck by lighting at the same time.

But you could imagine that over the course of a few billion years, someone would likely be able to win the lotto while being struck by lightning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join