It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Community Based Survival vital for post 2012?** (in worst case scenario of course)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This is Probably the first thread I started that I is undoubtedly to me, unarguable. (which is good as you will see)

After having a son 2 years ago, all my thoughts and beliefs and dis-beliefs into the whole phenomenon of Aliens, government conspiracies, MAYAN predictions and what not, I thought to myself all arguments aside, WHAT IF?

What would we do? So the "Elites" or "TPTB" or what ever you call who, would be safe. But what about us?

I feel it is better to be prepared for SOMETHING than to be caught off guard by EVERYTHING!

I think and feel very strongly that networking and strong insight go into developing regional based communities.

There have been a few shows on tv dealing with a similar situation called The Colony

Further-more, maybe people should start making a general consensus based on future theoretical disasters and worst case scenario planning.

Here are some maps I found on the net of possible locations based on several different ideas.
Possible Maps of the future

Possible flood areas

Nice chart to shows whos packin heat

Supposed area to retreat to in USA

Having said all that, I am sorry that this was so long, but again i hoep i get some ideas flowing and POSITIVE feed back lol.

(this is why i hold on to my grandfathers old CB radios)

edit on 2-4-2011 by Libran1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

I JUST got off the phone with my friend and was having almost this exact same conversation. My wife and I are expecting our first child (a little girl) in July and its really put some things in to perspective for me. I live on a lake in Michigan and even though I don't hunt or fish I've been starting to recently just to give myself a little more confidence if I had to rely on myself for providing. I don't really think life is going to continue on its current course for much longer. I think we're definitely at a tipping point and I think WHEN it tips its going to be more severe than most expect. I actually HOPE when the point comes, that life tips towards the side of people embracing community and sharing. But I have a feeling that with the way most people in this country are that its going to be mass hysteria with people hoarding as much as they can and only thinking of themselves.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Well I would say with strong ideas developed, and careful selection of whom would be allowed in such a community, since the Governments and such would abandon us, our self sustained communities should also be both inviting yet very protected environments. With of course the idea set forth that we peruse all the same civil liberties.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Libran1

I have to say that I would like to believe that a community based scenario is possible, and in some places probable, I am still leary of the idea in a more urban type setting. My family is from a very small southern community where they have been pretty much self sustaining for generations. For example my Granny raised chickens and could bake like no one else in the community... so...what would happen is that someone else may have an 'overstock' of home canned pork and exchange for so many cans she would then give them so many dozen eggs and a couple loaves of bread. The men all hunted and fished (still do) and if need be could defend the community by force if called to do so. So as you can see in that kind of a scenario, community based survival actions would be quiet easy as they are already in that mindset, it's just the way they were raised.

However, now that I am in a more urban setting for the time being, I am extremely cautious in who I discuss this topic with. Call it paranoia or what have you. Not to say I don't like my neighbors or even trust them to a certain point because I do. This being said, I am very hesitant in discussing any kind of 'prep' I may or may not be doing. Sometimes the old adage "Loose lips sink ships" is very on point. Would I like to have a group here close that could band together in a survival scenario? Absolutely. I think that groups that contain people of all backgrounds and skill sets will be the ones to flourish should we ever experience a shtf event, because let's face it... no any one person can know everything. In the mean time though, I will continue to educate myself as much as possible on as many topics as is possible and hope like heck I can retain that knowledge until a time that I need it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

I happen to live in a little city now too, but if i had too i would make a trip at a moments notice you know? and paranoid no...i understand. For the same reason i have nice little places picked out IN CASE...its just getting there and establishing a nation wide communication or something. carry the same values in our constitution and everyone should be fine. have it in mind that everyone should add too the cause

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
S&F great thread with alot of great links.I moved my family from the gulf coast last summer to Colorado what i feel is very safe from flooding,the seasons are bearable even the winters.So if for some reason there was no power the chances of survival in Colorado are good.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I have made several attempts on ATS to start a community of such but had no luck.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Some nice links there!

In Michael Ruppert's Collapse video, he opines that those who survive will be those who form tribes, and I tend to agree. There's greater safety in numbers and shared resources go farther. It's time to reach out to our neighbors and start planning our strategies.

Most important now is to have your stockpile of food and medicine. Even in the mainstream, many are predicting the devaluation of the dollar within the next few months, followed by hyperinflation which could make basic necessities unaffordable. We need to act now to be ready for the short term.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Very good post S+F! I live in a rural area and we're already on top of it!
I suggest others in neighborhoods or small towns have at least a couple meetings concerning this topic.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more - no one will survive for very long in total isolation. In my home town we have a network of people - a community of a sort. We trade goods and skills. We try to live as lightly and economically as we can but it also gives us a good head start if things should go 'tits' up as it were. Like previous posts - its something we've always done. We grow our own veg, my other half fishes and is a bowman. He's also a keen ham radio enthusiast. We preserve, can and make wine.

But if the S should HTF then we have a plan for that too.
edit on 2-4-2011 by Shelbee because: added a word.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It's necessary to find a core group of people that share similar thoughts of preparing for whatever. We grow vegetables and share them. Go in together to buy bulk food items to save money. It has become a practical way to help one another out in tough economic times. If things get real bad we know we have others we can depend on. It helps to make plans with others and brings a variety of skills to the group.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What we have done and what I suggest to cover most scenerios: Have someone who has the smarts to prepare an alternative energy source. You will need to grow herbs for medicine. Grow your own food. You will need bows, spears and fishing gear. If it's not too bad, some goats, some cattle and chickens (for eggs). The alternative energy is a must. Gasification systems, wood burning fuels, etc. Water purification system. There's more, but you should appoint each individual that's in your 'tribe' to a specific task. Stockpile things like bandaids, guaze.. basically all surgical appliances and necessary first aid. Have ammo on hand not only for protection, but hunting. I suggest silent hunting though.. you never know whose found their way to your community and is just up the road. If your far enough away from a major highway and your community is isolated this is even better. So much to prepare ahead, but can be done. A once a month meeting of neighbors is suggested.

Of course if there's radiation problems, most of the things above you won't be able to do.

Take care.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hey I am glad to see this thread still hanging in there. I think i am going to start up something to try and collect CB handles/call names or what not. I already have compiled a boat load of maps both possible future maps and current day maps, topo maps and such. In addition GIS stuff from when i was in school that shows population density and so on and so on. I have said for years id rather look like a fool who was prepared for EVERYTHING, than the fool who was prepared for NOTHING

top topics

join