It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mayan calender never ends, as proclaimed by most people.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I've read and talked to a lot of people regarding the whole 2012 event, people saying the mayan calender ends on 21st december 2012 when in fact the calender doesnt end, and probably never will, or not for another few BILLION years, and this is why.

Todays date seen on a mayan calender would read:

TODAY IS: 12 Baktun | 19 Katun | 18 Tun | 4 Winal | 11 Kin

1 Kin = 1 Day (Range: 0 - 19)
1 Winal = 20 Days (Range: 0 - 17)
1 Tun = 360 Days (1 Year) (Range: 0 - 19)
1 Katun = 7200 days (20 years) (Range: 0 - 19)
1 Baktun = 4 Centuries (100 Years)

1 Piktun = 8000 Years (80 Baktuns = 1 Piktun)
1 Kalabtun = 160,000 Years
1 Kinchiltun = 3,200,000 Years
1 Alautun = 64,000,000 Years
1 Hablatun = 1,280,000,000 Years

So on 21st December 2012 the calender will look like
13 Baktun | 0 Katun | 0 Tun | 0 Winal | 0 Kin

22nd December 2012 will look like
13 Baktun | 0 Katun | 0 Tun | 0 Winal | 1 Kin

You get the idea?

So lets go back 100 years ( 1 Baktun) and see what happened around 1911 (estimate)
12 Baktun | 0 Katun | 0 Tun | 0 Winal | 0 Kin

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm 99% sure nothing catalcysmic will happen on December 21st 2012 and 100% sure the calender does not predict such event

If you asked me to guess when something MIGHT happen would be when a NEW PERIOD begins, this would be year:

21st December 2079 = 1 Piktun | 80 Baktun (0) | 0 Katun | 0 Tun | 0 Winal | 0 Kin

(All years are estimates)

As you can see, the calender is quite normal, just like any other calender, but everyone likes a good doom story, thats why the media have caught on to this, and thats why a crappy film called 2012 has been created, we thrive on the thought of something cataclysmic happening but in reality this is just another Y2K, sorry to tell you that, I know some people will try their hardest to debunk this and possibly post lots of videos with nutjobs saying how aliens will invade or how godzilla will be reborn.

The dates and times may not be 100% accurate but this gives you an idea of how the mayan calender works.
edit on 2-4-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
That is exactly the way i see it also. I read it as a Galactic calander and when it gets to the end it just starts over again.

Thank you for the post.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
i too dont believe in the end of the mayan calendar, i dont think the mayans have anything to do with destruction of the earth. i believe it was made up to instill fear into people and to make money off movies and programs and what ever else they can think of to make a buck. its all about the money!! even tho i do believe something bad will happen in the near future it has nothing to do with mayans

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Duh! The calendar doesn't end, the cycle does. Like any other cycle, when it ends it starts over again. To say that the calendar ends is a misnomer, and like the movie 2012 was developed to instill fear. Does this mean the world is going to end? No. Does this mean the world is going to change? Most likely. As Hidden Hand referenced, at the end of a cycle is a harvest, small cycles bring small harvests and big cycles bring big harvests. The Mayan Calendar date of 2012 corresponds to the 26,000 year Kali Yuga or processional cycle. In this cycle, 2012 marks the time that we are shifting from 13,000 years of darkness/sleep (in regards to consciousness) into 13,000 years of light/awakeness. I personally believe that this is when people begin to wake up to their full selves, begin to develop things like telepathy, and we take our world back from the dark forces that have controlled it for so long. I think that part of the reason the fear/destruction meme is pushed is because the dark forces that have been in control don't want that to happen. The Mayans acknowleged this darkness/light shift by using the terms day and night.
edit on 2-4-2011 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
No, because the Mayans believed in cycles and cycles never end. I also think nothing cataclysmic will happen on 2012.

all the best,
Jacob

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Duh! The calendar doesn't end, the cycle does. Like any other cycle, when it ends it starts over again. To say that the calendar ends is a misnomer, and like the movie 2012 was developed to instill fear. Does this mean the world is going to end? No. Does this mean the world is going to change? Most likely. As Hidden Hand referenced, at the end of a cycle is a harvest, small cycles bring small harvests and big cycles bring big harvests. The Mayan Calendar date of 2012 corresponds to the 26,000 year Kali Yuga or processional cycle. In this cycle, 2012 marks the time that we are shifting from 13,000 years of darkness/sleep (in regards to consciousness) into 13,000 years of light/awakeness. I personally believe that this is when people begin to wake up to their full selves, begin to develop things like telepathy, and we take our world back from the dark forces that have controlled it for so long. I think that part of the reason the fear/destruction meme is pushed is because the dark forces that have been in control don't want that to happen. The Mayans acknowleged this darkness/light shift by using the terms day and night.

2012 marks the time that we are shifting from 13,000 years of darkness/sleep (in regards to consciousness) into 13,000 years of light/awakeness.....

where did you get 13,000 years from??? 1 baktum, which 2012 represents on the mayan calender is every 100 years.... last time it happened nothing like you said happened, nor the time before that, or any times before that infact

If your referring to 13 baktuns (13000 years) then that still doesnt mean anything
there will be 80 baktuns before we get to 1 piktun, nothing else.

If i used your theory about dark and light where it is half and half should be 40 baktuns darkness / 40 baktuns light, but even then i still dont think there is anything to it, its just a calender, just remember 1 piktun is 8000 years, and 1 baktun is 100 years, so you would need 80 baktuns ( 80 x 100 years) to get 1 piktun

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
As i understand the calander should work in the following way, although it is heavily debated and nobody is sure how it works..... my calculations above were wrong.

1 Kin = 1 Day and the days range from 0 to 19 (1*19=19+1=20 days)
1 Winal = 20 Days and the days range from 0 to 17 (20*17=340+20=360 days)
1 Tun = 360 Days (1y) and the days range from 0 to 19 (360*19=6840+360=7200)
1 Katun = 7200 Days (20y) and the days range from 0 to 19 (7200*19=136800+7200=144000)

This is where is gets a bit weird!!

The Experts Theory (which doesnt make sense)
1 Baktun = 36000 Days (100y) and the days range from 0 to 12?? (36000*12=432000+36000=468000)
1 Piktun = 468000 Days (1300y)

My Theory (which also doesnt make sense, i think 1 baktum SHOULD be 400 years, not 100 going by previous calculations)
1 Baktun = 36000 Days (100y) and the days range from 0 to 19 (36000*19=684000+36000=720000)
1 Piktun = 720000 Days (2000y)

I dont believe the mayan calender baktun rolls over after 12, i think it carries on to 19 like most of the others, why should it stop at 12, it makes no sense, this is quite highly disputed amongst scholars.

There is no known findings or inscriptions to support the view that Mayans believed December 21, 2012 as a end of an era

I also dont understand why 1 Baktun is 100 years???? surely 1 baktun should be 400 years????
So lets just for one second, go against what all experts say and use the method the mayans used!

1 Baktun = 144000 Days (400y) and the days range from 0 to 19 (144000*19=2736000+144000=2880000)
1 Piktun = 2880000 (8000y)

20 (goes up in multiples of 20 to 360) 18
360 (goes up in multiples of 360 to 7200) 20
7200 (goes up in multiples of 7200 to 144000) 20
144000 (goes up in multiples of 144000 to 2880000) 20
2880000 (goes up in multiples of 2880000 to .....

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Here's the Gamma bubbles they recently found. Notice that half of approximately 50,000 is 25,000

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f42336e071c.jpg[/atsimg]

Currently, this annual motion is about 50.3 seconds of arc per year or 1 degree every 71.6 years. The process is slow, but cumulative. A complete precession cycle covers a period of approximately 25,765 years, the so called great Platonic year, during which time the equinox regresses over a full 360°. Precessional movement also is the determining factor in the length of an Astrological Age.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebd4f216c3b0.gif[/atsimg]

www.crystalinks.com...

Of that approximately 26,000 year procession, half, or approximately 13,000 is considered as day and half as night.

Of the Yugas:

According to the Laws of Manu, one of the earliest known texts describing the yugas, the length is 4800 years + 3600 years + 2400 years + 1200 years for a total of 12,000 years for one arc, or 24,000 years to complete the cycle (one precession of the equinox)

Not exactly 25,726 years (26,000) but when talking such grand scales from different systems it's pretty close.
Also, I said equivalent to, not the same as. Also, in my previous post I misspoke as Kali yuga is not the full yuga cycle but merely a part of it. The other yugas are Satya, Treta, and Dwapara.

Ian Lundgold has a great 3hr plus lecture video on youtube on the cycles of day and night in the Mayan calendar

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
reply to post by Itop1

Here's the Gamma bubbles they recently found. Notice that half of approximately 50,000 is 25,000

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f42336e071c.jpg[/atsimg]

Currently, this annual motion is about 50.3 seconds of arc per year or 1 degree every 71.6 years. The process is slow, but cumulative. A complete precession cycle covers a period of approximately 25,765 years, the so called great Platonic year, during which time the equinox regresses over a full 360°. Precessional movement also is the determining factor in the length of an Astrological Age.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ebd4f216c3b0.gif[/atsimg]

www.crystalinks.com...

Of that approximately 26,000 year procession, half, or approximately 13,000 is considered as day and half as night.

Of the Yugas:

According to the Laws of Manu, one of the earliest known texts describing the yugas, the length is 4800 years + 3600 years + 2400 years + 1200 years for a total of 12,000 years for one arc, or 24,000 years to complete the cycle (one precession of the equinox)

Not exactly 25,726 years (26,000) but when talking such grand scales from different systems it's pretty close.
Also, I said equivalent to, not the same as. Also, in my previous post I misspoke as Kali yuga is not the full yuga cycle but merely a part of it. The other yugas are Satya, Treta, and Dwapara.

Ian Lundgold has a great 3hr plus lecture video on youtube on the cycles of day and night in the Mayan calendar

Thanks, but how does this tie in with December 2012, sorry i cant see a link, but my brain is kinda frizzled by all these numbers right now, no offence

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
May favorite part of the earther human consciousness it the unending ability to create their own straw-men and the proceed to knock them down with a "take that" attitude.

The calendar is not a date calender, we only match up our "dates" with the cycles posted on the that calendar. It is not the only describer of those cycles on the planet, there are other descriptions located all around the earth (most notably a identical "calender" on a ceiling in a building in Egypt), the Maya version is simply the most famous.

The cycles do not describe anything about an end or cataclysm, this is a straw-man that many have set up to either knock down or prove their end of times nonsense.

The cycles show the consciousness cycles that the earth will go through, and by extension those living on the planet - should they choose to spend time on the planet. The system has a beginning, middle and end. There is no time at all, it is an illusion, as such the "end" is not an end to time or life, but and end to the cycle. Think public school, you have 1st-12th grades, then oh my god, 12th ends and school ends! No it does not, what happens is the process by which you started the school experience is over. After 12th you move on, and others take your place and you have nothing to do with them. For the drop-outs, think video game, the game starts out easy, then gets harder, then you finally conquer it - do you die? Does the game cease to end?

What folks can't seem to grasp here is that the Maya were NOT more evolved then the current human population. Take a look at what cycle they were in when the calendar was created. We are at the foremost point, juste entering into the most evolved state you can be on earth - it is NOT the most evolved state you can be. They were not able to understand the calendar that was given to them to record - probably given to them to record because of their stone carving skills.

The damn thing does not signify the end of times, so stop saying it does simply so you can say it doesn't. This kind of thinking is not thinking, it is simply reactionary stupidity.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What i want to really know then is why people think the Baktun cycle ends at the 12th baktun? 13th baktun wraps around to 0 and turns to 1 piktun, because there is no evidence of this anywhere, this is only what the scholars think, there are no inscriptions on earth that say this, for all we know the baktun could carry on to 19 like most the others, please explain this.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

The calendars that end after 13 baktun are actually a post-Columbian convention. If you look at calendars from the Classical period, none end after 13 baktun and some extend up to 20 baktun.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Itop1

The calendars that end after 13 baktun are actually a post-Columbian convention. If you look at calendars from the Classical period, none end after 13 baktun and some extend up to 20 baktun.

This is exactly what im trying to say
but the whole 2012 event is based around the baktun ending on the 13th, which doesnt make sense

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Thanks, but how does this tie in with December 2012, sorry i cant see a link, but my brain is kinda frizzled by all these numbers right now, no offence

What Crankyoldman said. It ties in based on where we are in the cycles, which is also connected with other worldwide/historical calendars.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm not the one that says it is the end, i know it isnt the end, but most people think that it is the end, the whole point in me making this thread is to try and explain to people that the calender does NOT end and the only thing that happens is we move in to a new period.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

"The end of the mayan calendar" is a shortened version of "The end of the mesoamerican long count calendars 13th baktun cycle"

I go on this site almost everyday and im not sure where the people claiming things such as "its the end of life on earth forever and the entire calendar completely finishes in 2012" are, so much for "most" people claiming it completely ends forever on that date I've barely seen any at all. What I have seen is many people misinterpret what the 2012 theories are about, often they seem to have gotten their ideas from a famous hollywood movie or something then go about trying to debunk the film lol.

Ive also heard a mayan priest say the world (of the fourth sun) will end in 2012 (and the world of the fifth sun will be born). Also bear in mind the very very broad definitions on the word "world" when dealing with the claim of "the end of the world" it could by definition mean the end of a particular way of life or a local region for example.

edit on 3-4-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

There is no known findings or inscriptions to support the view that Mayans believed December 21, 2012 as a end of an era

"Anthropologists visit the temple sites," Mr. Barrios says, "and read the inscriptions and make up stories about the Maya, but they do not read the signs correctly. It's just their imagination. Other people write about prophecy in the name of the Maya. They say that the world will end in December 2012.The Mayan elders are angry with this. The world will not end. It will be transformed."

....We are no longer in the World of the Fourth Sun, but we are not yet in the World of the Fifth Sun. This is the time in-between, the time of transition. As we pass through transition there is a colossal, global convergence of environmental destruction, social chaos, war, and ongoing Earth changes........

......All this, Mr. Barrios says, was foreseen via the simple, spiral mathematics of the Mayan calendars. "It will change," Mr. Barrios observes. "Everything will change." He said Mayan Daykeepers view the Dec. 21, 2012 date as a rebirth, the start of the World of the Fifth Sun........

......We are living in the most important era of the Mayan calendars.......

Full article on the interview with Mr. Barrios (Mayan Ajq'ij, a ceremonial priest and spiritual guide, Eagle Clan.)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Theres acctually no evidence to prove that the cycle ends on the 13th baktun, this is just an educated guess by scholars, they have even admited this.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I think this guy explains it, best...

[Hell, just study that freeze frame...]

top topics

join