It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Of The GOP's Unconstitutional Tactics... The "Government Shutdown Prevention Act"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
At first, I thought it was just another April fools joke gone viral but to my gleeful surprise, it's totally true. Yesterday, the Republican/Tea Party majority in the House of Representatives, passed H.R. 1255 which would give the House of Representatives the power to unilaterally pass legislation without a vote in the Senate and/or a Presidential signature.

This video clip is from March 31, where Lawrence O'Donnell points out the unconstitutional aspect of the proposed bill prior to the actual passage on April 1st..

And this video is from last night after the passage of the bill.

Here are a few other articles covering the passage of the bill;
www.nationalreview.com...
politics.blogs.foxnews.com...
abcnewsradioonline.com...

Wasn't it the Republican/Tea Party that orchestrated the theatrical reading of the U.S. Constitution at the beginning of this session of congress to insure that everyone understood it's meaning? Furthermore, wasn't it the very same party who demanded that prior to introducing any bill to the floor, the congressman or woman sponsoring the bill must first cite the constitutional authority for congress to enact such a bill? What the hell happened to all that morality? I guess it was all just for show, just like everything else these do. Always saying one thing and then doing another. I call them the "Party of Opposites" and what a joke they are.

These people, the Republican/Tea Party, have no intention of standing up for the U.S. constitution until such time as they have totally re-written it to their satisfaction. Looks like the 2012 election choices will be between the "Crazy Party" and the "Democratic Party."

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So wait, they first start out by reading the entire Constitution in it's entirety, then, they put forth legislation that requires them to cite for every bill the part of the Constitution that let's them propose it, now they want to completely ignore this and try and pass legislation that bypasses both the Senate and the President?

Power grab FAIL!

And now we see what fascists the TEA Party really are!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

As more hypocracies surface, you are going to see a major case of "buyer's remorse" running through the voters. You can already see it from what is going on in Wisconsin.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

My point exactly! The same holds true when the talk about re-writing the 14th amendment regarding citizenship. These people do not support the U.S. Constitution in it's current form and they will not be happy until it has been re-written to fit their ideology. Real patriotic americans, huh what a joke!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Yeah, I agree completely with the buyers remorse premiss. That's why I was "Gleefully surprised to find out that these nut jobs, led by Eric Cantor, actually went through with this travesty of legislation. Now the american people can see first hand, what they truly stand for. Buyer's remorse might even end up being an under-statement.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Rewrite? These people want to completely repeal the 14th Amendment.

Why? Because they want to be able to pick and choose who gets to be an American.

These are the same people who want to repeal the 13th Amendment, they say it all the time when they say "the solution to 1984 is 1776." they are all just wannabe slave traders wanting to usurp the Constitution they supposedly hold dear and create a fascist regime that even Hitler would probably be ashamed by.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You ladies done soiling yourselves?

Here's the summary of the bill
Link
www.gop.gov...

H.R. 1255 would stipulate that if the House has not received a message from the Senate prior to April 6, 2011, stating that the Senate has passed a measure providing for appropriations to fund the government for the remainder of FY 2011, the provisions of H.R. 1 as passed by the House on February 19, 2011, would be enacted into law and government operations would be automatically funded under H.R. 1 through FY 2011. As with any law, the provisions of H.R. 1255 would only take effect if the bill were approved by the Senate and signed by the president.

I would expect nothing else from an MSNBC source, but I DO expect more from ATS members. Shame!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Yes I agree, upholding our constitutional values, as currently written, is the farthest thing from their minds. Another wing of their movement, the Republican Governors association or at least one of it's members, is also attempting to re-wrtie our nations child labor laws and "Take His Country Back" to the good old days when sending children to work instead of school was the norm.

I'm speaking of Governor LaPage of Maine and his proposal to lower minimum wage for minors and increase their allowable work hrs. on school days. I authored another thread on the subject here where Rachel Maddow paints a clear picture of what he's attempting to do;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

At this point in time, regardless of how much people say that both parties are one in the same, there isn't enough money in the world to bribe me into supporting the republican party.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Link
www.gop.gov...

H.R. 1255 would stipulate that if the House has not received a message from the Senate prior to April 6, 2011, stating that the Senate has passed a measure providing for appropriations to fund the government for the remainder of FY 2011, the provisions of H.R. 1 as passed by the House on February 19, 2011, would be enacted into law and government operations would be automatically funded under H.R. 1 through FY 2011. As with any law, the provisions of H.R. 1255 would only take effect if the bill were approved by the Senate and signed by the president.

I would expect nothing else from an MSNBC source, but I DO expect more from ATS members. Shame!

this is totally against the constitution. shame on who? the republicans are talking through their collective waste removal organ. voting for republicans has become the new "hitting your head against the wall", ....why would you keep doing it, if it continues to hurt?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But that doesn't go with the "republicans are evil" arguement the OP was trying to prove.

Once again common sense and a smidgen of digging makes fools of close minded liberals who only repeat idiotic talking points.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Could you point out WHERE in the bill you are having such a hard time understanding?

I still don't see the concern.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Of course, because you know that Child Labor and sweat shops are just fine. I mean those little bastards should be working instead of getting an education.

Remember, the solution to 1984 is 1776, when they didn't have laws against sweat shops or child labor (or slavery for that matter).

This is the REAL TEA Party platform at work.

And I didn't forget you there beezzer:

Do you really think the Senate or the President would be insane enough to pass such a law that is clearly unconstitutional?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Link
www.gop.gov...

So, this is what you elected them to do? There is nothing misleading about the reports on MSNBC regarding this legislation. It was a total waste of time and money as it will never become law and just like everything else the House of Representatives has done since being sworn in this year, it has absolutely nothing to do with job creation. It's just a publicity stunt and a stupid one at that. This is not what they are paid to do and if anyone needs firing, it's the Republican/Tea Party members of the House and not Teachers.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So, a law that will never pass, about financing during a pending government shutdown that would require approval of the senate AND the president is unconstitutional?

'Splain it.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think the Tea Party/GOP need to review some old Schoolhouse Rock cartoons:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So, a law that will never pass, about financing during a pending government shutdown that would require approval of the senate AND the president is unconstitutional?

'Splain it.

Even though I believe that your probably beyond "Splaining," I'll try. If it were to pass, it would be unconstitutional. So, Eric Cantor and his Republican/Tea Party supporters are in essence, proposing to enact legislation that would be unlawful, if passed. This whole exercise is not only unlawful, it's an absolute waste of time and taxpayer dollars. I thought you voted for people who were going to propose constructive changes and not futile ones. They remind me of a bunch of 6th graders who know absolutely nothing about government and who could care less about improving the situation America currently finds herself in. Just keep voting for them and see where it gets you.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Although I agree with you that they could use a few civics lessons, I have to admit that they probably saw this cartoon in the past like most kids in school but the message failed to sink into their tiny little brains. Maybe it's because their brains were already filled to capacity prior to the completion of elementary school and by the time they got to their high school government class, there just wasn't room for any additional information. If it didn't sink in then, I doubt it will sink in now. Like Sarah Palin has proven so many times in the past, "You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks."

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's unconstitutional because for a law to pass, it must be ratified by both the house and the senate before being signed by the President. This law would be unconstitutional because had it passed (requiring the senate, the president and the supreme court to all be in a coma at the time) the House would be able to pass bills at whim.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

AGREED! Add to that the idea that the GOP is "exempt" from it's own rules. A case in point is this disturbing spectacle during defunding NPR where they CLEARLY violate House rules to further their partisan agenda.

edit on 2-4-2011 by kinda kurious because: apostrophe

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

*sigh*

As with any law, the provisions of H.R. 1255 would only take effect if the bill were approved by the Senate and signed by the president.

If conclusion jumping were olympic events, you guys would be gold medalists!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join