It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H7N3 Found On Turkey Farm In Polk County Missouri

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

H7N3 Found On Turkey Farm In Polk County Missouri

I live only 80 miles from this outbreak and I visited another ATS member who lives in Polk County last weekend.

H7N3 is a subtype of the species Influenza A virus (sometimes called bird flu virus). The presence of H7N3 was found in 2004 in British Columbia. Eighteen farms had to be quarantined with two verified human cases along with 58 symptomatic cases reported.

Situation Update No. 2

Missouri agriculture officials are investigating a low-pathogenic case of avian influenza at a Polk County poultry farm. Mike Martin, a spokesperson for Cargill, says the farmer contacted the Department of Agriculture and the state to report the incident at the farm late last week. Cargill owns the birds at the farm, which is not being identified. The department confirms a routine test came back positive for avian flu strand H7N3. This particular strain of the viral disease affects humans only in "extremely rare" cases, according to a Missouri Department of Agriculture press release announcing the outbreak. Martin says the birds didn't show symptoms. The USDA says the meat from a flock of 13,000 adult turkeys is safe to harvested. However, 14,000 to 15,000 young turkeys will be euthanized this week. A foam substance will be pumped into the facility to kill the birds. Cargill says it's impossible to identify the source of the flu outbreak. At this time, the Polk County farm has been quarantined as more tests are completed at the National Veterinary Services Lab in Ames, Iowa. It says flocks within six miles of the facility are receiving tests for the disease. Because avian flu is naturally occurring, there will be no punishment or repercussions to the farmer or Cargill. The USDA could reimburse the farmer for his loss of inventory. Missouri's State Vet, Public Health Vet and the USDA's Area Veterinarian in charge are overseeing the birds' care.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

The biggest fear as all of these avian viruses is its potential to mutate and cross strands.

Concern exists that outbreaks of avian influenza in domestic poultry could, through a process of genetic reassortment, mutation, or both, introduce new influenza subtypes into the human population. In the context of widespread susceptibility, such an event could be the precursor of a pandemic (2,3).
www.cdc.gov...

Add a little Radiation, Synthetic Microbes from the Gulf and a dash of a mutated Avian Virus and we will have a FUN summer...........

I will keep you updated............
edit on 2-4-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Was there any information on whether or not any of these sick birds were put on the market or used in the food making process for human or animal consumption?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blaznlex1

They are saying that 13,000 adult turkeys are "safe" for market, but 14 - 15 thousand young turkeys will be destroyed.............

I think the 2004 outbreak in British Columbia all birds were put down out of 18 farms........Their quarantine measures were very strick which is noted for keeping this virus from mutating or affecting more humans there.....

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hmmm... I purchased a turkey just a couple of days ago. I wonder how one would go about finding out which distributors these turkeys are shipped to. I just love how they strip the shelves of peanut butter or spinach when there is an E.coli contamination, but turkeys with possible avian flu are ok. Of course, any new mutations of flu would be great for the drug companies.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just a little heads up here! Once the animal is dead, the virus dies very soon after. When you cook the animal, it kills the virus. The reason they are killed off/culled is because they might spread it to other animals/people, not because it's not safe to eat them. Remember when Egypt killed ALL it's pigs because they thought that H1N1 (what a crock, that one right there, lol) could be caught from eating them...*facepalms*

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

Well, how awesome! I live in Wentzville, no more than 150-200 miles away, I'm glad I don't eat meat!

but hey, at least something is happening in Missouri

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

Well this is in Antar's backyard(or front) . I guess I will have to call her and let her know. Hopefully she will be able to provide more information.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I certainly don’t know the protocols for disposing infected birds as those in Missouri…………..But I do find it odd that they will dispose of them in a landfill………..An “undisclosed” landfill.

On Friday morning, the farm was full of trucks, trailers and loaders as those dead turkeys were hauled away.

People helping with the operation wore protective suits and masks, and tires were hosed off before leaving. Polk County Emergency Management Director Rick Lewis said the turkey carcasses were being taken to an undisclosed approved location. One person helping with the effort later told us that place is a landfill.

articles.ky3.com...

Out of sight.......Out of mind

new topics

top topics

join