It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least seven foreigners killed in attack on U.N. compound in northern Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

KABUL — An angry mob killed at least seven foreigners in northern Afghanistan and set fire to a United Nations compound, as a protest over a Koran burning in Florida swelled into chaotic violence Friday, according to Afghan and Western officials.

The attack in Mazar-e Sharif, normally a bastion of calm, swelled out of a midday gathering called to denounce the actions of Terry Jones, a preacher in Gainesville, Fla., who burned the Islamic holy book on a grill last month. The Taliban had issued a statement blaming “American Rules” for Jones’s “crime.’’

At least four protesters also were reported killed during the attack on the U.N. office.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Just more proof that intolerance breeds intolerance.

What is Terry Jones's problem? If you don't like Islam, and don't like the Koran, then just ignore it. This level of intolerance isn't the American way, we may have the right to do so, but that doesn't mean we should.

This is part and parcel to a larger problem in America and I believe a larger segment of the US population. This is why some in the Middle East hate us, is this blatant intolerance and bigotry. If we as Americans want to be the example of freedom for the world, we should not do things like this.

I believe that the families of those people killed should sue Terry Jones for wrongful death, as it was his actions that incited the violence to begin with.
edit on 4/2/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
If burning a book is all it takes for them to turn on themselves. Then light them up!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by aceshootn

If burning a book is all it takes for them to turn on themselves. Then light them up!!!!!!

That is exactly the kind of intolerance I am talking about, if you would read the article, you would find out who was killed.

In the tumult, with police firing their weapons, some in the crowd broke into the U.N. office, past high walls and foreign and Afghan security guards, then torched guard towers and attacked and killed members of the U.N. staff, officials said. Among those killed were four Nepalese guards and at least three U.N. staff members, including a Swede, a Romanian and a Norwegian, according to a Western official briefed on the preliminary investigation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

From the source above.

Intolerance in this country shouldn't be praised, nor should it be condoned.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
How can you even mention the words "intolerance"? Give me a break. They have been killing MILLIONS of "infidels" for thousands of years over that stupid book and you dare tell me I'm intolerant????????

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Head on down to the southern states and make a big media circus about burning the KJV and see how that works out for you.

Yeah... I know. It's 'just' a book too.

Seriously, that Jones has got some blood on his hands now and Dove Outreach isn't going to be shaking my hand as a result. Best wash those mitts off, Terry. (

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

They have been killing MILLIONS of "infidels" for thousands of years over that stupid book and you dare tell me I'm intolerant????????

Yes, I do dare, because those people did not deserve to die because of the actions of Terry Jones.

Do you want to go to the families of those UN staffers and explain that you think what Terry Jones did was acceptable and that their family members deaths is no big deal to you?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

So you are saying that if a group of people who have sworn to kill you on sight, hold a protest, then we should just cower in a corner?

"can't we all just get along?"

Oh I almost forgot.....................Praise Allah..................happy now?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I think every red blooded AMERICAN should buy a case of Korans and light them on fire in the streets. I hope and pray that every infidel hating extremist runs to Afghanistan to meet the USA military. "Give them hell boys"

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

No one says that you have to accept their faith as your own, just be tolerant of others.

If I give you respect, shouldn't I deserve to receive it back? Terry Jones however has shown no respect, and unfortunately innocent people died because of his lack of respect. It shouldn't have happened.

I think every red blooded AMERICAN should buy a case of Korans and light them on fire in the streets. I hope and pray that every infidel hating extremist runs to Afghanistan to meet the USA military. "Give them hell boys"

and all that does is embolden them to hate us, why can't we instead show them that we actually are the good guys? Why can't we show them the BEST of America, instead of the worst.

edit on 4/2/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Are you saying Southern Baptists are going to kill you on sight? I doubt it, but I'm betting they will if you threaten to publicly burn the KJV.

Or are yoiu saying it was a Taliban attack and not Afghans that were OK with our troops up until Terry did his best to enrage them?

I don't give a rats posterior about ANY organised religion, BUT I'm not going out of my way to make a spectacle either. Jones did his thing as a Christian. That's what's intolerant and has been going on for 2000 years.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I'm sorry, were you born before 9-11? respect of others?

This has been going on for thousands of years. Ever heard of the Crusades? THEY HATE EVERYONE WHO ISN'T THEM..

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

You'd be surprised to learn that the crusades killed more jews and orthodox Greeks than muslims.

And, yeah, since you want to get personal, I've been kicking around this dirtball for almost 65 years. How old are you and have you served in the US military? If you've done a stint in Iraq or Afghanistan, I doubt you'd be talking as you are.

Nothing like turning the hearts and minds you're working hard to win over with the help of the intolerant Terry Jones's of this world.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

im guessing your not American so you don't have an American thought process. How does burning a book thousands of miles away instigate the killing of people who had nothing to do with it? Im sick and tired of all the people bending over backwards for these people. In American you have the freedom to burn what ever book you own or bought regardless of any camera that's around to show it. Don't like it well don't sell your books to America. Also if people want to draw your so called prophet and put it into our news papers its well within our rights as Americans. Screw you or any country that impends on my freedom to voice my thoughts on a subject. Hows that! We don't live under what ever law their country believes in so we shouldn't be subjected to bend over backwards to meet their demands as it imposes on our freedoms. Do i think this jones guy is right lol No i do not. But coming from a freedom standpoint i think hes well within his rights. As Americans it should be an honor to die for others Americans freedoms its why we honor our troops. We should make it a holiday and burn fake Korans to honor the sacrifice these people made for all of us.

edit on 2-4-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

E-5 USMC & proud of it!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Yes, I do dare, because those people did not deserve to die because of the actions of Terry Jones.

Do you want to go to the families of those UN staffers and explain that you think what Terry Jones did was acceptable and that their family members deaths is no big deal to you?

I am very sorry but, you Mr./Ms. OP, are extremely bent.

A guy in America burns a book...not cool, but it's just a book and nobody got hurt. The reaction from the fruitcake Muslim community in Afghanistan is to riot and kill seven people...none of whom are American - or had anything to do with Mr. Jone's actions.

And you want to preach to us about how Mr. Jones has blood on his hands, and that the intolerance is all on the Christian side of the ledger?

A (misguided) Christian cleric burns the Islamic Holy Book. The Muslim response is to hit the streets and kill completely innocent people in a completely different country...people who have no connection whatsoever with either the act they are "angry" about, or the country where it occurred.

Islam = institutional insanity.

And you, as their apologist, share their malaise.

Jones did something stupid...but non-violent. The Muslim response was to murder innocent people.

Who has blood on their hands?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Then you should never have served if you have that attitude because I'm guessing every muslim you made contact with is an enemy worth a bullet or 10.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
WHAT THE HELL?

I for one, refuse to be tolerant of delusions, muslim version included. If they are not tolerant to my basic freedom of speech right, then let them hold a conversation with our bombs instead.

OP, your post is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen on ATS since I joined. There will be absolutely no tolerance of someone that wants to kill people for burning a book, period.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by aceshootn
and at least I had the balls to serve and protect my country so jack wads like you could hug a tree

And, of course, you're assuming I haven't.

A jack wad, eh?

Well... Dove Outreach is down in Florida and I still suggest you burn a KJV bible on their front lawn. See how that goes.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

<<   2  3  4 >>

join