It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STUXNET was found in japan, and may have interfered with safety systems...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Oh The Irony

Originally posted by richaado
Wow! The shills are feverish.

You are free to post your views on the topic, and they are quite welcome, whatever they may be. However, if your strategy is to insult people who hold differing points of view, it tends to be a very short road on ATS.

It's not hard, just address the topic and you're golden. Taint your arguments with false claims about others, and you'll end up thinking you were banned for "exposing the truth" when you were actually banned for being a jerk.

Sorry to be so "moddy" in a thread I really just want to follow, but I think most people would prefer we focus on the topic and not make things worse than they are by piling more insults on an already weak thread.

Just sayin'

edit on 4/2/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
When I first heard about STUXNET I knew that one way or another it would come back to bit us in the rear. Did STUXNET have role to play in the Japan reactors or not really does not matter. The mear fact that the idea that it may have is enough to cause all the damage needed to make us look bad. The computers are trashed so there is no way to ever know for sure but seeing damage to the systems makes it look like it was there is allthat is needed. The fool that ever came up with the STUXNET plan was crazy. This is not the last we will hear about STUXNET. Now if any reactor any where acts up then STUXNET will be blamed and the people that made the program in the first place. And who know STUXNET may come home one day to our own reactors.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I needn't use the word 'shill' to make my points.

And I won't.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
When I first heard about STUXNET I knew that one way or another it would come back to bit us in the rear. Did STUXNET have role to play in the Japan reactors or not really does not matter. The mear fact that the idea that it may have is enough to cause all the damage needed to make us look bad. The computers are trashed so there is no way to ever know for sure but seeing damage to the systems makes it look like it was there is allthat is needed. The fool that ever came up with the STUXNET plan was crazy. This is not the last we will hear about STUXNET. Now if any reactor any where acts up then STUXNET will be blamed and the people that made the program in the first place. And who know STUXNET may come home one day to our own reactors.

Microsoft is offering a 'patch' to stop stuxnet gaining access.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
There are so many sites reporting on Microsoft's attempts to prevent stuxnet from wreaking its havoc so instead of posting a link toone site I'll send the link to a Google page with .... a lot!

www.google.co.uk...=ja&biw=1478&bih=628&rlz=1R2SUNC_jaJP373&q=stuxnet%2C+microsoft%2C+patch&aq=f&aqi=&a ql=&oq=&fp=818399b8f7a17752

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I failed to post the link. I don't know why?

This link:-

news.cnet.com...

is to just one site. Look on your favourite search engine about how Microsoft is trying to fix all the holes in its systems so stuxnet can't get in. It's a difficult task by ALL accounts/

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by richaado

Originally posted by fixer1967

Microsoft is offering a 'patch' to stop stuxnet gaining access.

OMG!!! Please do not tell me the reactors are running on Windows?
If so we are all doomed!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
A simple search will show you that it would seem so.

If we survive microsoft then one would assume something will be done to ensure any backdoors or vulnerabilites associated with Microsoft will be fixed. I tend to think vulnerabilities are deliberately built into Microsoft products.

Can they continue to get away with it if enough people know how dangerous their lives are with a visus running amock which can send a nuclear power station into meltdown - make a global catastrophe from an accident?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
Stuxnet has to rank as one of the most over-rated, over-hyped, and mis-understood pieces of malicious software ever written.

It was written to target a specific piece of hardware, in a particular configuration. Unless you happen to have uranium enrichment centrifuges attached to your computer you have nothing to worry about.

That Stuxnet spread across the 'net was simply a move to hide who the real culprits were, and make it look like a random infection even though the systems it targeted were highly protected and isolated from any network!!!

People really have to get a grip on reality AND UNDERSTAND HOW THIS STUFF REALLY WORKS!

Maybe you shold do a little homework before elaborating claims. stuxnet is revolutionary in its design and it does not spread over the internet as you just stated...

kx

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Just so you know, Infosec is a huge IT conference where some of the smartest IT Security people in the industry attend and give lectures. This is not just some run of the mill website.
Check this out:
www.misti.com...
Here is what the article states about the cooling pumps

over-heating was caused by a disruption to the power and water supplies that are needed for the cooling systems. The problem was compounded by the destruction of the backup generators for the cooling system pumps in the subsequent tsunam

edit on 2-4-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Here is what the article did say

regarding the possible consequences of a sophisticated Stuxnet-type attack against SCADA networks at a nuclear facility.

Then there's this article about Stuxnet on personal computers in Japan www.yomiuri.co.jp...
The date on that article was Oct 2010
It was thought that someone had to have inside access to the Iranian system, and the article suggests the use of a USB. In this way, a system which is not normally affected by the Internet can be infected. USB memory sticks have become a security issue in the industry prior to this anyway. Now, how someone may have had access to any system in Japan I do not know. Perhaps someone with access to the systems brought a USB from home.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Just a short time ago JAPAN offered to help Iran build it's nuclear reactor. Iranian news ran the story.

Japan's been going anti-American over the last few years. It's the Japanese military that's pushing the protests to get our Marines kicked out of Okinawa so the $2 Billion annually they spend supporting our few GI's there...could be used to build their own military hardware.

Chime in news story of Japanese trying to sneak hundreds of Billions in US Treasury notes around the world.....

What if.......the United States had some nuclear accident..and to cover it up and also punish Japan....we caused the Tsunami on their reactors. 2 birds killed with 1 stone. Nobody would notice the radiation source in America is actually from our own accident somewhere's in the US.

Would Obama play that card? Do Union Thugs carry ball bats?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

nevamind, had to reread your post.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The Emergency Core Cooling Systems (ECCS) in the Fukushima vintage plants are strictly analog control. Pressure switches, level switches, relays react to plant parameters to start these systems automatically. They are not controlled by any type of computer. The plant computer is primarily used for monitoring core nuclear parameters during plant operation and doesn't provide any control functions other than alarms typed on local printers.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by fltcui

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Well here is what the disaster in Japan has triggered: www.027ws.com...

A renewed interest in solar and other "clean" sources of power. How convenient.

other Internet research has turned up some sticky subjects so Im refraining for further comment here.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
there is a post that annon say they have Stuxnet.
so any one could have it.
it should be inposible for all reactores to go.
unless some one used the quake as a cover.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I happened across this site:-

onefamilyoneheart.wordpress.com...

I thought it was well-written and appropriate to post here.

The comments at the end of the article contain explanations to the questions posted here in this thread which are supposed to disqualify stuxnet as a factor in the meltdowns.

I knew of all the points in the article over a week ago and sent my own 'article' to several sources and acquaintancies. The topic usually grinds to a halt. I get the feeling people cannot believe a worm is capable to doing what it has.

The coincidences and circumstantial evedence to me seems compelling. But at this stage of the game with four reactors melting down it might appear to be a waste of time to debate the reasons.

Though I believe if the stuxnet is found to have been used for destructive effect (which I am very sure about) - then those behind stuxnet simply MUST be exposed and dealt with in some highly effective manner.

Not many people can get away with murder. Why do the creatures behind the creation and application of stuxnet get preferential treatment?

For the sake of mankind the people behind the application of stuxnet must be stopped because if we survive Fukushima it had better never happen again.

Claims of stuxnet escaping and the creators losing control over it mean nothing to me. The absolute silence in the manipulated media is as much a contributing factor to the disaster as the meltdowns themselves. I feel protecting the guilty is more important than countless millions of people being harmed.

Fukushima was 40 years old so they are all analogue systems? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the above article there is a link to a message about Japan's official stance on Israel's occupation of neighbouring countries. It is indeed chilling when one considers the date.

And Rothschild & Co have had their eyes on the world's largest public bank - the Postal Bank of Japan. I am not qualified or competent to speak of the implications for Japan were Rothschild to get his hands on that money, so I'll find something written iin a way I can understand and post it here shortly.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The details of Rothschild's people trying to transfer Japan's public debt to their private one is mentioned about a quarter of the way down the site.

ravenise.blogspot.com...

There is a lot of compelling reading in this blog - some obviously can be more factual and less emotional than others. Please read what some informed people think instead of people just guessing who think that because a reactor was built 40 years ago it still has the original paint-job.

And excuse quite a few typos in my post above. It's time I left this life-sucking machine and went to sleep.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Stuxnet did indeed spread across the Internet, though that is not how it ultimately got into the plant in Iran.

It used a few "zero-day" exploits to infect systems, but ultimately aimed to target Siemens controllers. None of the above isn't anything that can't be fixed. Sure, it took some effort on the part of the authors (or maybe not?), but then it is also thought that they went to the trouble of building replica plant so they could test the idea out before deploying it. That takes some serious resources, and if they can do that, then finding a couple of flaws in Windows must be quite easy.

www.symantec.com...

I don't see anything there that would upset any normal user (unless you are a terrorist attempting to make a nuclear bomb?). The software is looking for a specific config, and it only found it at the target. It spread via the internet prior to being upgraded to spread via USB. To say that it spread via the internet is to ignore its more general capability of spreading via any TCP/IP network, of which the internet is just one huge network.

stuxnet is revolutionary in its design

Is it really? The hard part is finding vulnerabilities in Windows to exploit, and finding ways of hiding code on PLCs, but neither are particularly ground-breaking ideas, and are not new. The only thing ground-breaking is the idea of hiding code on a PLC and writing a virus that spreads via the internet that infects control systems, but again, it is not really much of a stretch from all the "crimeware" out there that steals passwords and credit card data.

it does not spread over the internet as you just stated...

www.schneier.com...

Stuxnet is an Internet worm that infects Windows computers.

'nuff said.

If it doesn't find one, it does nothing. If it does, it infects it using yet another unknown and unpatched vulnerability, this one in the controller software. Then it reads and changes particular bits of data in the controlled PLCs. It's impossible to predict the effects of this without knowing what the PLC is doing and how it is programmed, and that programming can be unique based on the application. But the changes are very specific, leading many to believe that Stuxnet is targeting a specific PLC, or a specific group of PLCs, performing a specific function in a specific location--and that Stuxnet's authors knew exactly what they were targeting.

If you don't know who Bruce Schneier is, you don't work in IT Security (which you clearly don't from your complete lack of understanding of Stuxnet).

Maybe you shold do a little homework before elaborating claims.

Don't tell me I don't do research on a topic unless you have proof I didn't.
edit on 3-4-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: Remove bad reply to quote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join