It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Facts You (Probably) Never Knew About the Moon

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
TRUE FACTS.

PAST MISSIONS (including nationality and year of launch)

Pioneer 0/Thor-Able 1 (USA, 1958), Luna 1958A (USSR, 1958), Pioneer 1 (USA, 1958), Luna 1958B (USSR, 1958), Pioneer 2 (USA, 1958), Luna 1958C (USSR, 1958), Pioneer 3 (USA, 1958), Luna 1 (USSR, 1959), Pioneer 4 (USA, 1959), Luna 2 (USSR, 1959), Luna 3 (USSR, 1959), Pioneer P-3 (USA, 1959), Ranger 3 (USA, 1962), Ranger 4 (USA, 1962), Ranger 5 (USA, 1962), Luna 4 (USSR, 1963), Ranger 6 (USA, 1964), Ranger 7 (USA, 1964), Ranger 8 (USA, 1965), Ranger 9 (USA, 1965), Luna 5 (USSR, 1965), Luna 6 (USSR, 1965), Zond 3 (USSR, 1965), Luna 7 (USSR, 1965), Luna 8 (USSR, 1965), Luna 9 (USSR, 1966), Luna 10 (USSR, 1966), Surveyor 1 (USA, 1966), Lunar Orbiter 1 (USA, 1966), Luna 11 (USSR, 1966), Surveyor 2 (USA, 1966), Luna 12 (USSR, 1966), Lunar Orbiter 2 (USA, 1966), Luna 13 (USSR, 1966), Lunar Orbiter 3 (USA, 1967), Surveyor 3 (USA, 1967), Lunar Orbiter 4 (USA, 1967), Surveyor 4 (USA, 1967), Explorer 35 (USA, 1967), Lunar Orbiter 5 (USA, 1967), Surveyor 5 (USA, 1967), Surveyor 6 (USA, 1967), Surveyor 7 (USA, 1968), Luna 14 (USSR, 1968), Zond 5 (USSR, 1968), Zond 6 (USSR, 1968), Apollo 8 (USA, 1968), Apollo 10 (USA, 1969), Luna 15 (USSR, 1969), Apollo 11 (USA, 1969), Zond 7 (USSR, 1969), Apollo 12 (USA, 1969), Apollo 13 (USA, 1970), Luna 16 (USSR, 1970), Zond 8 (USSR, 1970), Luna 17 (USSR, 1970), Apollo 14 (USA, 1971), Apollo 15 (USA 1971), Luna 18 (USSR, 1971), Luna 19 (USSR, 1971), Luna 20 (USSR, 1972), Apollo 16 (USA, 1972), Apollo 17 (USA, 1972), Luna 21 (USSR, 1973), Luna 22 (USSR, 1974), Luna 23 (USSR, 1974), Luna 24 (USSR, 1976), Hiten/Muses-A (Japan, 1990), Clementine (USA, 1994), Lunar Prospector (USA, 1998), SMART 1 (Europe, 2003), Chang'e 1 (China, 2007)

PRESENT MISSIONS AND FUTURE MISSIONS TO THE MOON.

SELENE (Japan, 2007), Chandrayaan-1 (India, 2008)Lunar Reconnassance Orbiter (USA, 2009), Moonlight (UK, 2010), Chandrayaan-II (India, 2010/2011), Luna-Glob (Russia, 2012), SELENE 2 (Japan, 2012), Project Constellation (USA, 2008-2020), Aurora Programme (Europe, 2024), Chang'e (China, 2024)

MAXIMUM SURFACE TEMPERATURE 123 °c / 253 °F / 396 K
Comparison with Earth: 58 °c / 136 ° F / 331 K

MINIMUM SURFACE TEMPERATURE -233 °c / -387 °F / 40 K
Comparison with Earth: -88 °c / -126 °F / 185 K

ESCAPE VELOCITY 8,568 km/h / 5,324 mph
Comparison with Earth: 40,248 km/h / 25,009 mph

GRAVITY (EARTH = 1) 0.166

DISTANCE MOON TRAVELS TO COMPLETE ONE ORBIT OF EARTH 2,290,000 km / 1,423,000 miles
Comparison with Earth's orbit of the Sun: 924,375,700 km / 574,380,400 miles

TIME TO ORBIT EARTH 27 days, 8 hours
Comparison with Earth's orbit of the Sun: 365 days, 6 hours

TIME TO SPIN ON AXIS 27 days, 8 hours (note that there is a new moon every 29.5 days)
Comparison with Earth: 23 hours, 56 minutes

MASS 73,483,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg
Comparison with Earth 5,973,700,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg

CIRCUMFERENCE AROUND EQUATOR 10,916 km / 6,783 miles
Comparison with Earth: 40,074 km / 24,901 miles

AVERAGE DISTANCE FROM EARTH 384,400 km / 238,855 miles / 0.0025 A.U.
Comparison with Earth's distance from the Sun: 149,597,890 km / 92,955,820 miles / 1.000 A.U.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

You remind me of a religious person who strikes down anyone with opposing beliefs calling them false because it goes against what you have been told...I guess it might shock you to find out you don't know much on the scale of things really none of us do. So why not go use the great research tool in front of you to go out and find us some facts to back you up so people might take you a little more seriously. I have always wondered about the moon and why we aren't sending people there a whole lot more or even rovers to bring back samples and explore some of the photographed anomalies there. Even more so with so little fact how can science even make a real guess as to any of it's history and pass it off to the people as fact at all. It's all theory and as we know they get proven wrong all the time. Just like a 12 year old boy is about to do with the theory of relativity. It's kind of insane to think we really know much of anything...so try to keep an open mind when you hear something new. The world was once considered flat how silly do you think those who refuted that ,as vehemently as some of you do this, felt in the end...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Condemned0625
Woah. Could it be? This seems to confirm that the moon really IS an artificial creation.

It confirms nothing of the sort
Really, did anyone lurn english at school? All you have here is a rehash of selected moon myths that are bound to impress any standard 12 year old. Yes the moon is very interesting - spurious use of the word 'confirms' is unacceptable!

You didn't spell "learn" correctly, you read my statement incorrectly and your little "12-year-old" example has no relevance. "Could it be?" is not asserting something as a fact. "This seems to confirm..." is also not an assertion of fact. Your use of the word 'English' in your question is unacceptable! These nonsensical and hypocritical replies from people like you make me ashamed to be of the same species.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

You can bet that there are more artificial moons in this solar system. Phobos is one of them. A couple of moons of Saturn also have very curious features. I stumbled with some very interesting videos on YT about odd structures in Enceladus and Iapetus:

edit on 4/2/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Some of these facts are obviously disputed, but the most intriguing Moon mystery, to me, is The Shard. Could someone please explain this?

What could it be? What could possibly form that?

(Original image source: www.enterprisemission.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

Excellent Post! Thank you for sharing. S+F

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by laslidealist
I just ask one simple question.
Why haven't we been back?
It is not characteristic of an EGO based and self serving gov't or for that fact NASA that love to rub superiority (wasn't that what the moon race was all about?) in everyone's face to have accomplished something of such a magnitude and then turn your back on it and ignore a continuance of conquest which is completely out of character for the ever expanding evil empire.

For the answer to your question, I suggest you may find a book by David Boorstin titled The Discoverers has some insite into the mystery. It is an interesting read. I like the part where it speaks of the chinese having built sailing ships and set out looking to explore the world beyond China. After a few decades they decided there was nothing out there in the land beyond their country that was worth the expense of getting to know better. They came home and burned their ocean going ships and forgot all about exploring. This was before Chris Columbus by the way.

Perhaps NASA and the current administration has come to the same conclusion about going away from earth with people. Now that we know we can do it, doing it again simply to prove we still can seems to prove no point.
edit on 2-4-2011 by whatwasthat because: spelling

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The thing I find fascinating about the moon is how it rotates on its axis and orbits the earth in such a way to keep the same side facing earth exactly forever? If it took longer to orbit or the rotation were slightly faster or slower we'd get to see all sides eventually. That almost seems deliberate to me! I really can't debunk the OP stuff as I simply don't know enough about it but I'm wondering about the "Smoke Stack?" can anyone here offer up a natural explanation for it? I was thinking it could be some Volcanic tower built up over time with a sort of "Yellowstonish" periodic eruption schedule. Every time it "burps" it brings forth more solid material which settles at the tip causing it to be that much higher over time. With no weather to contend with it could grow indefinately. That however is just what my imagination came up with

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This thread should be moved away from Space Exploration.
The sources are not credible, and the subject matter wildly speculative.

Good entertaining stuff if you like this sort of thing, but it should be put in a more approriate forum.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontProbeMeBro

1. Moon’s Age:

The moon is far older than previously expected. Maybe even older than the Earth or the Sun. The oldest age for the Earth is estimated to be 4.6 billion years old; moon rocks were dated at 5.3 billion years old, and the dust upon which they were resting was at least another billion years older.

If the above is true, then our guess of the Earths age is false. Theory goes, the Moon was created when a Mars sized planet collided with our own, and a chunk of Earth flew off and created the Moon. So considering we found a 5.3 billion old rock on the moon, the Earth must be older then the previously guessed 4.6 billion years old. Unless the moon rock they sampled is a meteorite which dates back 5.3 billion years.
edit on 2-4-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Are you even reading my posts? Read the post again. I am saying when one of you (people like you) come along and see a term that goes against what they believe, they become so defensive that they think what they say is without a doubt the truth. Clearly the OP has gathered information and Opinions on the topic while all you've done is come and disparidge him trying to make him look like a fool who buys Science Fiction Books.

Stop inferring from random words and actually read the posts.

Maybe you need to read the OP again. He didn't do any research or gather information. He posted a list he found on the net. And that's exactly what he said:

While bored at work, I stumbled across this amazing website with some decently spooky facts about the moon.
Nothing much to say here, just more of an informative post. I hope you find these facts as intriguing as I did.

I guess the question here is have any of the folks that take this list to be true done any research to see if it was true?

Here are some opposing views
www.bautforum.com...
Who's right and how do you decide?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Seems an artificial moon would work well for believers in the bible...sounds like earth was terra formed and they left their own ship in orbit the moon...the bible says god created the moon maybe created the situation of this planet, moved it to the location it needed to be near a sun, maybe left some behind in spaceship moon to watch us grow after manipulating life introduced from spaceship Moon ark....
How is that for facts? Lol!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There are several different alien civilizations that inhabit the moon. Such as Nordics and greys. These civilizations have dfiferent or similar agendas, what their ultimate goal is I have yet to understand. I do know that The moon was almost taken out of its gravitational orbit after the galactic federations council that represents our Earth decided so, because they said that it was time for these aliens to stop manipulation us through the moon. Why it didn't take place I have yet to know. My personal opinion is that the moon has some agnetic properties that when applied to alien technology can be used for absolute mind control, of any given human being. My personal belief is that when we summon or worship "evil" "satanic" energies of the moon, we are just becoming more and more manipulated by the "satanic" mind control scheme of the aliens.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontProbeMeBro
2. Rock’s Origin:

The chemical composition of the dust upon which the rocks sat differed remarkably from the rocks themselves, contrary to accepted theories that the dust resulted from weathering and breakup of the rocks themselves. The rocks had to have come from somewhere else.

3. Heavier Elements on Surface:

Normal planetary composition results in heavier elements in the core and lighter materials at the surface; not so with the moon. According to Wilson, "The abundance of refractory elements like titanium in the surface areas is so pronounced that several geologists proposed the refractory compounds were brought to the moon’s surface in great quantity in some unknown way. They don’t know how, but that it was done cannot be questioned." (Emphasis added).

This would suggest a chunk of an ancient planet exploded over the surface of the moon. I am beginning to get a strange vibe that we used to have two moons in orbit around our planet. The planet that was once in orbit between Mars and Jupiter had a chunk of it thrown out in our direction knocking out one of our moons. I believe that long lost moon is in fact Mars. The book of Enoch makes mention of moons in the plural sense two times. Check out this song I recently found.

Dan Bern - When the Earth Had Two Moons
Song Lyrics

Back when the earth had two moons
Baby can you even remember that far back when the earth had two moons

We sold it to the people of Kababa

A medium sized planet in a small solar system
In a very large galaxy just next door
A medium sized planet in a small solar system
In a very large galaxy just next door

Go to Jupiter, take the first right
Fly north north north for thirty billion light years
Remember that space is curved and you cant miss it

Seems as though eclipses were incessent
Every seven years they were both full
Sometimes when one was full the other was a crescent

For the berlin wall and all the tea in China
For the gross national product of America
For the cash crop of North Carolina

Nobody had any money
Nobody ever had a fever
Noone ever slept alone either
Shoes were the only transportation
No one ever heard of litigation
There was hardly anybody who could spell
But everybody slept pretty well
But we sold it to the people of Kababa
For cars and roads and offices
For warner bros exxon and sony
For hamburger meat and baloney

But now we're better off, don't you see
We have CNN on the TV
Child hookers in the Phillipines to screw me
Kareoke for every wannabe
We got fast food and condoms and hair spray
We got the right to vote to take all of our rights away
We got life and the means to spend it
We even got the bomb in case we want to end it

But if you ever find yourself wishing
The moon was back in its original position
There's a rumor that the deal was never signed
And Kababa isn't difficult to find

Go to Jupiter, take the first right
Fly north north north for thirty billion light years

Back when the earth had two mooons
Baby can you even remember back that far

danbern.redacorn.net...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

THANK YOU!!!

BIG star for you, for making it SO clear, that his Opening Post Thread Topic is ABSENT any substance....is purely based on a very sketchy original "source".....

How hard is this to explain and WHY is it so difficult to convey to people???

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

This thread should be moved away from Space Exploration. The sources are not credible, and the subject matter wildly speculative. Good entertaining stuff if you like this sort of thing, but it should be put in a more approriate forum.

Got my vote!
Why cloud peoples minds with such wild speculation? This should be science fiction.
Lets stick to the facts people.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
awww...no the moon is made of cheese facts...

DAMNIT!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Why don't you guys just submit the "Alert button" and have it sent to the Skunkworks instead of just complaining about it?

ATS is all about speculation. It was founded on UFO sightings if you didn't know already.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Out of all the moons out there in space, why is ours a spacecraft? Also why is a spacecraft made up of rock's?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

How the hell should I know? Military around the world camouflage themselves with equipment that resembles natural scenery, such as grass, leaves, sand and snow. It's certainly possible that an extraterrestrial race constructed an enormous object that is camouflaged with rocks and dirt that are either artificial or natural.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join