It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Attorney's in the House? Is This Theft or Not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I have a very serious inquiry, I am caught up in activity on my job that I am sure is a conspiracy to divert funds, but I was asked by my manager to do it, he is an owner/operator who operates under a license agreement with a franchise. I know that the diverted funds manage to not turn in any tax payments, as there is no record of recieving the funds.

I am worried that even though the owner/operator is not in violation of a license agreement, that he is guilty of defrauding the state of tax collected. Problem is, he isn't the one doing it. He has the employees doing it. On camera, and without him ever touching a dime on camera. What am I in the middle of, and what should I do?

Any help would be appreciated.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well if you didn't post this you might have been able to get away with ignorance. Sorry I can't add anymore other than this, call local attorneys and ask them. You should never ever seek legal advice on the internet, it would be a very handy tool IF, if.... you could filter out all the garbage you will get.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I would put as much distance between myself and what he has the other employees doing as I possibly could.

Tax fraud isn't only frowned upon, they will lock you away for it.

It sounds like your boss is trying to coerce others to commit said crimes so he will be able to throw them under the bus to save his own neck....should the need arise.

Don't do it.

Just my $0.02
edit on 4/2/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Keeping your money from thieves called tax collectors is not theft. What you are dealing with is a man not paying his protection money to the Mafia er ha government. They will do what all thugs do in this situation and come with guns and imprison you and or kill you. Find a new job!

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Keep in mind, he might be a nice guy (or not), but he has HIS interests at heart, not yours.

There have been a few times I've been asked to do or ignore something questionable. I managed to "play dumb" and send an email for confirmation, which either ended the activity or at least gave me a record that I tried to deal with it.

While that might not work for you, a small digital recorder might. "So, sir, just to verify, you want me to do...?"

And you might want to start looking for work elsewhere. When you're not comfortable where you're at, it tends to show eventually.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I am actually starting another job this week, but it is only part time, I will still need to keep my job for a little while longer, but, I am concerned about myself and the other employees, one of them is a 68 yr old woman, she is like me, she isn't sure since he owns the business if he can do this, but we both agree, taxes are being collected and not paid. Neither of us can afford to loose our job right now.
To add insult to injury, this week we were told that we no longer have a vacation. The reason? : we do not appreciate our job. That is the slap in the face reason we were given.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Reply to post by hawkiye

You do realize that taxes pay for the roads you drive on, school you went to, police and fire departments you call, the guy that picks up your trash, so on, so forth. YES, not paying taxes is theft If you use ZERO public resources then its not But since you're using the internet (subsidized by federal and state governments) you should quit preaching about free loading and pay your share like the rest of us.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I believe he would throw us under the bus. He took our vacation away last week citing we 'did not appreciate our job' , that was a slap in the face. The way he has orchestrated this scheme he doesn't look guilty. That is obvious to all of us. I am torn as to whether to just leave and say nothing, or should I report him. He just became an American citizen about 6 months ago. He and his wife are having their 2nd child this Sept. I have grown to know his family, I know that if he gets busted out, it will destroy his family and life. Yet he has the odacity to say we don't appreciate our job, then make us misappropriate the funds for him.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

well, you can come forward to your boss and show you aren't a mindless bafoon.. which may or may not get you fired, but that would give you a huge upper hand in a lawsuit.. Or play dumb and continue doing it, I mean.. technically even if you think you have an idea what you're doing is illegal, there is ignorance of the law to some extent when you are ordered to do the deed, especially when your at your job and fear of losing your job in this horrible economy ..you almost have to do what you're told, but I would get some proof he ordered it..

Don't be worried, and do what you think is right... you can't be wrong that way.

eta- just read some of your replies... if he's being a tool, taking away vacation, and what have you.. I'd be straight forward, and say, "this is bs.. you take away my vacation, and then have me doing wat I'm pretty sure is illegal.. hey buddy, I think we need to work out a severance package, one with some serious cash.."
edit on 2-4-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
Reply to post by hawkiye

You do realize that taxes pay for the roads you drive on, school you went to, police and fire departments you call, the guy that picks up your trash, so on, so forth. YES, not paying taxes is theft If you use ZERO public resources then its not But since you're using the internet (subsidized by federal and state governments) you should quit preaching about free loading and pay your share like the rest of us.

I would like to reply to that quote if I may. First off roads, the roads in my area are patched up tar roads and wash away with any decent rain, not much money there. School I went to, was a run down under funded mess with no equipment or decent teachers. Police - I have a police station just up the road, but it is never manned, they send the police most of the time to the nearest large town and leave us unprotected. Fire department - the fire department in my area is only staffed by volunteers, not paid at all. Trash - well we do get a pick up once a week.

Makes you wonder, what I am paying my taxes for really, a weekly trash pickup?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
What are these activities ?

If you are sure that there is a crime then ask yourself can you identify the injured party ?
Furthermore , who can identify the injured party ?( A real flesh and blood human being , not just a legal entity of any sort )

Morality is easy , if you think that there is a crime being committed then report it .

However , if this an offence rather then a crime , then it is a different game altogether .

edit on 2-4-2011 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Dragon12

I saw you were wondering what our taxes pay for..

This is some of it..

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I would call the local tax office which collects the taxes and tell them exactly as you told us - the truth. Tell them you need their advice because if your boss is defrauding the government you don't want to be involved in it, but you don't want to be out of work if you are mistaken either. They will conduct their own investigations after that if need be.

If what your boss is doing, and has you doing, feels wrong - then do the right thing and call the tax office.

Who wants to work for such a dishonest SOB anyway.

People like him are the reason the rest of us have to pay so much tax.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
gather evidence with discretion. hard copies of figures, times and dates etc.. if the hammer comes down it may well be you and the other employees under suspicion. if you can track the funds, make a note of origination and destination. consider the possibility that you and your co-workers are being set-up with this scam. many years ago i myself walked away from those whos minds were polluted with greed. good luck.
f

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
What you should do is make another reply in this thread that says: Haha, I was just kidding, none of this happened.

And go about your merry way.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
Reply to post by hawkiye

Ah ignorance is bliss or in this case theft! Gasoline tax supposedly pays for roads along with bonds which are fake paper akin to a credit card. It is not my job to pay for other peoples kids to go to school. I get a bill for trash and internet every month from two private businesses so no taxes there. To bad none of those supposed taxes go for what the public is told they are. However dupes like you help perpetuate the theft of the fruits of our labors against our will under the guise they pay for any good or service because they are to lazy to get off thier arse and do some research. Here is a hint for you cafr1.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

What state are you in? This is important because there are laws dealing with this type of situation. Whistleblower laws are generally Federal, but cover this type of thing. You can report this activity, but shut your mouth until you speak with an attorney. Many companies I have worked for violate the law constantly and they then fire anyone who raises any concerns with it. Gather the facts, and talk with an attorney. I can help guide you as a laymen and point to different laws that deal with this. I have some experience in this area. Let me know what state you are in first though.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I believe he would throw us under the bus. He took our vacation away last week citing we 'did not appreciate our job' , that was a slap in the face. The way he has orchestrated this scheme he doesn't look guilty. That is obvious to all of us. I am torn as to whether to just leave and say nothing, or should I report him. He just became an American citizen about 6 months ago. He and his wife are having their 2nd child this Sept. I have grown to know his family, I know that if he gets busted out, it will destroy his family and life. Yet he has the odacity to say we don't appreciate our job, then make us misappropriate the funds for him.

Were i you, I doubt I would have similar reservations about how his actions are going to affect
Him longterm. He took away vacation time because you don't appreciate your job? If your boss just became an American citizen and he's trying to reneg on his tax obligations then it doesn't seem to me that he has much appreciation for the laws and comforts of his new adopted country and should be given the same consideration your vacation time was given. None.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

go to your DA office with this, it is best if YOU record this taking place, most cell phones have the vid in them now. for this could come back on you, best to act first, if you wait then your the guilty party, his word vs your employee word, and it is your smiley face on cam not his, who's hand is in the till?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

you see right here he can say your stealing from him , why does this person need second job? i will give more hours , but no person steals from me, from my till. see where this going?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join