It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think unemployment is going down and things are getting better? Think again....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Today we were given the great news that unemployment had dipped to 8.8% according to the Los Angeles Times.

Link: latimesblogs.latimes.com...

But wait, is this true or are we being misled concerning the nature of the economy and the numbers of people who are truly still unemployed as well as under employed?

The Los Angeles times, as well as other news sources reported today...

"The U.S. economy created 216,000 jobs in March, the government reported Friday, continuing the recent rebound in hiring that has helped strengthen the recovery.

The unemployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 8.8%, the lowest since March 2009. The unemployment rate has now dropped a full percentage point since November."

Yet, The Gallup Group has released information based on their research and have come to a drastically different conclusion.

In an article posted on March 31st, titled "Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Rate at 10.0% in March", Economist Dennis Jacobe provides some very interesting facts.

Link: www.gallup.com...

First, he points out that [e]x"Unemployment, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, was 10.0% in March -- down from 10.2% in mid-March and 10.3% at the end of February, but above the 9.8% at the end of January. U.S. unemployment was 10.4% at the end of March a year ago."

So, we are actually seeing an increase from the month of January, and that the rate had risen to 10.3% in mid-March, almost equal to the rate in March of last year.

Secondly, he shows that

"The percentage of part-time workers who want full-time work was 9.3% at the end of March -- down from 9.7% in mid-March and 9.6% in both February measurements. The current percentage remains higher than the 9.1% at the end of January but lower than the 10.0% of a year ago."

There was a slight increase in March from February as well as an increase from the month of January in the group of people who are part time workers wanting full time work. Things aren't improving, but are fluxuating still above January's low.

The article did go on to show that "ADP on Wednesday reported that U.S. private-sector jobs increased by 201,000 in March -- the third consecutive month at this level of job growth."

But the analysis of the information obtained by Gallup suggests that

"recent job increases have not been sufficient to significantly improve the jobs situation so far in 2011. Although both of Gallup's measures were marginally better in March, they remain higher now than they were in January."

So what does this all mean to you and me?

Things aren't really getting any better, and sadly the coming wave of inflation is going to take what small amount of wind out of our sails in our economic recovery.

This week Wal-mart's CEO Bill Simon talked about the rise in wholesale prices that are already being seen by the retail sector and that these increases will be eventually passed on to the consumer.

Link: www.usatoday.com...
Finally, let's not forget the huge indicator of the fragile state of the economy....the cost for a gallon of gas.

Oil prices are up a little bit every day, and the value of the dollar is being questioned by the world governments like never before.

So what do we do?

Clearly the current administration has failed to find solutions, and can no longer blame the previous President for current problems.

Like it or not we are on a sinking ship and something must be done, answers must be found to our nations crisis. I look forward to hearing your ideas.

edit on Fri Apr 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added ex quote tags

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
As you said we are a sinking ship so what do you, abandon the ship

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

I don't expect any of this to change until later in this decade. Gas may reach $6.00 per gallon by 2014. That means I'll end up paying $80 just to fill up my Honda Civic. Solutions are usually introduced when the economy is already at the point of no return. We may be facing a depression soon and the solutions won't be in effect until the economy begins recovering.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

I don't expect any of this to change until later in this decade. Gas may reach $6.00 per gallon by 2014. That means I'll end up paying $80 just to fill up my Honda Civic. Solutions are usually introduced when the economy is already at the point of no return. We may be facing a depression soon and the solutions won't be in effect until the economy begins recovering.

If you add up a disruption of Oil supplies in the mideast then you'll see gas prices at $20 a gallon

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

If that happens, I'm not driving anywhere anymore. I'll have to get help from my friend to modify my engine so it can burn hydrogen that I extract from water.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Abandoning ship is not the only option. We can cast off dead weight bail for all we are worth, and try to patch the holes that are leaking jobs out of our country while letting cheap crap in.

We can also outlaw the things punching holes in the side of our ship, corporations. Which I hightly recommend.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I fear we have passed the tipping point.

yellow journalism
complicated issues
comatose populace
corrupt campaign finane laws
powerful special interest groups
endemic selfishness

We need a miracle.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by starwarsisreal

If that happens, I'm not driving anywhere anymore. I'll have to get help from my friend to modify my engine so it can burn hydrogen that I extract from water.

Yeah but they claim the own the water too .Water is more expensive than fuel if you look at the price of bottled drinking water .I can't believe people are prepared to pay for it .
edit on 1-4-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
fine go ahead and outlaw corporations then say goodbye for every single thing that we use everyday in our lives.

no more homes,cars,cell phones,computers,internet,food,gas,clothes, everything we use in this country on a daily basis comes from those evil things called corporations.

who are you going to work for where are you going to get your money nowhere.

umemployement figures are obvious skewed they are much higher than being reported no matter what figures the government touts are so called "progress" revenues are down for you and the federal government because if everything was fine we would have a deficit.

i wish you people who really think of the magnitude when you make comments like those.

without then we have nothing NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! i know for a fact that 99% cant hunt or fish or cut enough lumber to build there own home and then agian where you going to get the money to buy the land to banks are corporations to.

i swear

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
See, this is the failure of the TEA Party. They were the Taxed Enough Already Party, you know, lowering corporate taxes so that businesses would hire?

Well, the corporations got their tax cuts, and they aren't hiring. So, what does that mean? It means that the TEA Party platform has completely and totally failed and I think that the states need to have recall elections for Michele Bachmann and her ilk who were elected under false pretenses.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

failure not quite mr whatukno

the teaparty hasnt written the tax laws for over 20 years

the teaparty doesnt write the regulations for every single business in this country

the teaparty doesnt hasnt written any laws period.

the teaparty never created the biggest evil thing in this country called the federal reserve that continually devalues the dollar and prints it like it is nothing

i know its a hard concept to grasp since your hatred for the right and the teaparty clouds your common sense if you want to blame someone blame the party that you just love so much

they are the ones who created this disaster so they and only they can rule over you
edit on 1-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

the teaparty doesnt hasnt written any laws period.

Exactly my point. The TEA Party hasn't done anything they promised. They failed to repeal the Health Care Reform Act, they failed to lower taxes for their corporate buddies and the rich to 0. (even though their corporate and rich buddies don't actually pay taxes) They haven't done anything they promised, just another party of lies and working for the interests of the rich.

The proof is that Unemployment isn't going down. It's the proof of the TEA Parties complete and total absolute failure as people and as a political party, and they should resign in shame as the pariahs they deserve to be.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

promised just how many member are in the teaparty hell even if everyone in the house was a teaparty member it wouldnt mean crap.

the teaparty doesnt have the majority its that simple

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well, don't you think that if their ideas had merit, or were actually good ideas that benefited the country, wouldn't they have passed?

They had what 4 months now? Why haven't they solved all the problems they promised to? Why isn't the budget already balanced?

It's because their entire platform is a complete lie.

They have completely failed as a party, they have completely failed as people, they have completely failed as elected officials.

Just being as "fair and balanced" as the right was when Obama took office. So, if it was fair for him, it's completely fair to use here. Just being "fair and balanced" and the TEA Party has completely and totally failed every single thing they have ever promised to the American people.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

mr whatukno THEY DONT HAVE THE MAJORITY and you know as well as i do that there is not one liberal democrat who thinks any teaparty or republican idea is worth anything further more not one will ever be caught dead using it.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Then it proves that the TEA Party has completely failed every single promise they have ever made to the American people, this is why unemployment hasn't gone down. It's because they have completely and totally failed.

They should either be recalled as the failures they all are, or they should voluntarily quit and crawl back into the deep dark pit of failure they slithered out of.

Of course, their failure is partly due to the fact that none of the TEA Party has shown the general public their birth certificates and so, they must all been born in Kenya.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

fine lets play it your way if your judging people on by what they have promised then that makes obama and the left the biggest miserable failures for the past 2 years.

all his promises and lies and the lefts promises and lies.

remember now im using your standards

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
fine go ahead and outlaw corporations then say goodbye for every single thing that we use everyday in our lives.

no more homes,cars,cell phones,computers,internet,food,gas,clothes, everything we use in this country on a daily basis comes from those evil things called corporations.

who are you going to work for where are you going to get your money nowhere.

umemployement figures are obvious skewed they are much higher than being reported no matter what figures the government touts are so called "progress" revenues are down for you and the federal government because if everything was fine we would have a deficit.

i wish you people who really think of the magnitude when you make comments like those.

without then we have nothing NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! i know for a fact that 99% cant hunt or fish or cut enough lumber to build there own home and then agian where you going to get the money to buy the land to banks are corporations to.

i swear

haha wow what a horrible view, its the corporations that don't own anything! They didnt create the water, create the land. They just created a price for it that you pay... WTF

and also BUSINESS>>CORPORATION.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by P-M-H

horrible view eh and just where does your money come from the federal reserve a corporation a bank another corporation and your employer another corporation.

carry on

btw the federal reserve controls everysingle dime in this country the value of the dollar your interest rates whether credit card or home they control the financial wealth of this country

go ahead and outlaw corporations hate on them all you want dont really care i hope you people do it then you people will see
edit on 1-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

remember now im using your standards

Actually, I am using the FOX News "Fair and Balanced" Standard here.

In fact, using the FOX News "Fair and Balanced" Standard, I am being quite generous with calling the TEA Party "an absolute failure on all fronts" this late I should have started with how much they have completely failed every campaign promise they ever made while they were being sworn in.

So, America, the jobs failure, all the fault of the TEA Party, as they continue to fail and fail and fail.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join