It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Your Favorite Martial Arts Movies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I just got through watching Ip Man with Donny Yen and mucho wing chun and it was awesome! I would say it would be in my top 5 of all time. So I was wondering what other member's favorite MA movies are?

Ip Man - A blend of contemporary and old school here, a great one for mma fans, imo.

Red Belt - This one has more story than fighting, and it is kind of a serious angle about corruption in the sport and self discipline.

Way of the Dragon - Bruce, need I say more? Love the darts!

Ong Bak 2 - Love this dude and I after Jet Lee, I think Tony makes a good icon of the sport/genre. Also, after watching the extras on the dvd, I realized his stunts actually involve real strikes, Can't get any realer than that!

Kung Fu Hustle - A great blend of fighting and humor, this one really surprised me. Fun for the whole family.

Peace and Hwahhhhh!
spec
edit on 1-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: sp

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Enter the dragon. I watch it twice a year just to get new catch phases.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Most definatelly Jackie Chan's Drunken Monkey...One of the best ever made..As a fighter he barely comes close to BRUCE but he is a much better actor...

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
House of Flying Daggers

Hero

edit on 1-4-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

I knew that one would be up, and I agree, a great one forever. I think that one is the one I have seen more times than any other too!
Thanks

reply to post by gdaub23

Love JC and this movie! It is awesome how Jackie went the comedy route but maintained and mastered his mma skills too. I think he raised the bar in stunts too, internationally. He may have as many broken bones as Evil Kinevil....almost

Peace
reply to post by PoorFool

Excellent movies PF! Both movies were epic in their story cinematography and of course fight scenes. I think Hero is one of the greatest of all times! I saw it 3 times too!
spec

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
wow didnt think to find this topic here but since you asked...

all the previous stated movies were great i just recently had a chance to see the ong back series and loved it.
Have to say , while i do appreciate the era, most of bruce lees films do not fall into my favorites, i am most interested in the fantasy/action style of martial arts films. (probly cuz i am mostly a sci-fi fan and love the special effects)
first watch Iron monkey (not jackie chan although drunken master was a great flick!!)
it is the prequil to the "Once upon a time in China" trilogy those are my favorites. (Jet Li)
Some Jet Li's older movies arent even listed on IMDB you should look into them they are also good though they all have subtitles not sure if you like films with subtitles but imo they are usually the best.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Iron Monkey, man there are so many good ones but that one I would put way up there too, awesome!
I will check into the older JLee movies. Tony Jaa is phenomenal, more fighter than actor, but he is a genuinely skilled mofo! His other/older movies are worth checking too.
Yea, the topic is pretty generic, but it will do for the movie section, and I just wanted to share that Ip Man one, it was excellent!
Thanks for the comments...

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The Protector with Tony Jaa. No stunt doubles or CGI, just a whole lot of bone crunching.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is any movie starring Jackie Chan, too much clowning around for my tastes.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
once upon a time in china, kung-fu hustle and karate kid.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
#3 Black belt Jones (Jim Kelly)

#2 Way of the dragon (Bruce and Chuck Baby)

#1 The Last Dragon

That is all

Trowa

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Crouching Tiger. Fascinating story and effects.

On another scale..Doing all the bad. But often with a good result : Steven Seagal

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
My favorite martial arts movies are Jackie Chan's Who am I
and Jackie Chan's First Strike.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'll go with the old school Five Deadly Venoms:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Man I typed that in youtube last night and I swear it didn't come up so I went with Black belt Jones as my number three Damn youtube

That is all

Trowa

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies

I have an MMA thread also for sport fight fans:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

spec

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Can't say I'm much of an MMA fan, it is enjoyable to watch, but something about a nicely choreographed fight scene in a movie is tough to beat. Add in some voice-over and some cheesy sound effects, and you have the makings of a fine kung-fu flick. I wish I could remember some of the names of the movies I watched when I was younger, because there were some good ones in there.

I really enjoyed the original Drunken Master by Jackie Chan. One of my favorite styles, that can be so graceful while being so catastrophic.

My other two faves are:

Hero - Jet Li

fantastic cinematography, storyline, fight scenes, music, and plot. Powerful movie that I think upped the Crouching Tiger movie, if that's possible.

Shogun Assassin

One of the goriest kung-fu flix I think I've ever seen. The story is quite good, the acting isn't the greatest, but then again, what flick of that genre was blessed with excellent acting.

Anyways, those are two off the top of my head that I really really enjoy. Love Bruce Lee, probly got me into the whole kung-fu flix. But got to give props to all those B-movie actors that more than likely didn't make a cent from the movie, but helped spawn a generation of great flicks that are actually enjoyable for me to watch. Not to mention it's great to see a new form or watch a different person use the same form, but have much different techniques in how they are trained. Great stuff to be quite honest.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
While the movies themselves aren't great...I do love seeing Seagal's Okinawan style moves (quick and hard hitting), and Jackie Chan's incredible use of the objects around him in his scenes.

The man will turn a tricycle into a lethal weapon, and that is just awesome. In the few times I've had to fight, I always embrace that idea (I once used a rubber garden hose to good effect against two guys).

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Alright mate,ive just ordered IP Man off of amazon after watching your trailer,should get it later in the week,it looks badass!

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Ahh man,what a film,total genius,i thought i was gonna cream my pants when he fought 10 men lol!

Best one i have seen so far with Fearless being a close second!

Love Ong-bak aswell,havent seen the second one though,gonna have to check it out!
Have you seen IP Man 2 yet,thinking of getting it?

Also Unleashed is pretty cool,not on the same level as Ip man though!!!!

edit on 24/4/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Legendary Weapons of Kung FU a.k.a. 18 Legendary Weapons of China

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join