It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient nuclear detonation on Mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The ancient Sumerian mythology tells of a planet called Tiamat that was where the astriod belt is now,It was a watery planet we are told.covered in large oceans.It was hit by a large commet or astroid and completly obliterated.
The sumerians say that water in the form of ice came to earth from Tiamat causing a deluge,which made our oceans.Its an interesting myth.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
reply to post by watchitburn

Even more incredible: A natural nuclear reaction could have occurred on our own planet -- and could happen again, said Dr. John Brandenburg, a senior propulsion scientist at Orbital Technologies Corp.

So thats natural nuclear explosion, comet, asteroids, diesese, earthquake, tsunamis, super-novas, global warming, ice ages, solar flares, volcanos and still counting. Is there anything else they would like to add to keep us living in fear.

We shouldn't live in fear. Those things have happened in the past and will happen in the future. It's up to us Humans to prevent the man-made occurrences.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You bring forward a very interesting and compelling point with your post very well thought out and concise. I must add that does it have to be the volcanoes that bring this massive explosion maybe its similar to Yellow stone where its a giant explosion coming from the buildup underneath a caldera over millions/hundreds thousands of years
Isn't this explosion from the Caldera the release of the pressure from the entire north American continent a super volcano waiting to happen.

And yes maybe those volcanoes on mars are where the pressure will be released every millions of years or so from a build-up of pressure

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-4-2011 by XRaDiiX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I was envisioning a massive eruption spewing out into space through the very thin Martian atmosphere escaping the weaker Martian Gravity fairly easily. An eruption that size coupled with how thin the Martian Atmosphere/Gravity are one could envision it acting like a Giant volcanic rocket thrusting the Planet out of it's older orbit into it's present one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1f1e80f3455.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
wow a very interesting thread
after reading the opening article, im gunna have to say THIS tread is much more informative than the article. to sum up the article on lame butt foxnews.."there may have been a nuclear explosion on mars that was the result of some type of natural occurance"...end of story. why even print that? why not at last give some type of speculation. but here on ATS we have a 3 pager with more speculation and info about posibilities than a "news' report...way to ATSers

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I like the explanation. I would like to try to take it a little further and suggest that it may be possible that the volcano is preparing to erupt. I was reading the Olympus mons link and found this interesting.

The meaning here is the latter, since Mars has no active flows at the present time.) Crater counts from high resolution images taken by the Mars Express orbiter in 2004 indicate that lava flows on the northwestern flank of Olympus Mons range in age from 115 million years old (Mya) to only 2 Mya.[20] These ages are very recent in geological terms, suggesting that the mountain may still be volcanically active, though in a very quiescent and episodic fashion.[21]

Then a little bit further down the article is says this.

Crater size-frequency distributions on the caldera floors indicate the calderas range in age from 350 Mya to about 150 Mya. All probably formed within 100 million years of each other.[26][27]

en.wikipedia.org...

This only caught my attention because I remembered a few years ago , or so, reading about Mars warming a little bit. I noticed that this article slants towards global warming on both planets being connected to the sun. It is only an example of Mars warming. Personally I think that National Geogrphic is biased towards CO2 and global warming. But that is neither here or now. As a matter of fact about every article I found references solar activity.

Mars, too, appears to be enjoying more mild and balmy temperatures.

In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

What if Olympus Mons is an active volcano erupting every 100 milion years or so. The interior could be heating again getting ready to release some pressure. Of course this is only my opinion on the matter with the material I have read. The volcanic process could take millions of years to manifest on Mars. Added the solar activity and you could have a double whammy for a Mars global warming scenario.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

That is a very interesting speculation it must be deemed if true that this can also shift the planet closer to the sun as well depending on which way the planet is facing ! when the eruption happens. So you are correct perhaps. This has been the prevalent reason for why mars has become too cold for the possibly advanced lifeforms that once roamed its surface maybe? Or the vast ocean it once had? May have vanished from eruption because it frozen into icecaps etc or was ejected from the planet when such an eruption occurred which cast the planet some amount farther from the sun into its present orbit!

You my sir have a very creative mind! Bravo

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I dont believe anything said about Mars anymore, especially since the colors of Mars have been digitally altered by NASA since day one, blue atmosphere made to look red etc..

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
maybe its not natural. They say millions of years ago mars could have been habitable. is it possible that some ancient civilization blew themselves up? just a thought

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

it could be anti matter or mirrior matter thats one some people belive has happened before on earth just not as strong, the radiactive particles could just be cocincidental, i mean there is naturaly occuring radiactive material on earth

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I agree.

COVER UP

Radiation occurs naturally in the environment. Everyone's already exposed. Blahblahblah. Nuclear explosions happen naturally. Blahblahblah. Think of the nuclear meltdowns in Japan as part of the natural order.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
reply to post by Itop1

Have you seen Hoagland's work about Mars? The most intriguing parts of his work is the shows and comic books that he found, made in the 50s and that can be linked to things seen and detected about Mars and space stuff.
The show and comics proposed something in the lines you propose.

I know what you are talking about, but it will sound ridiculous to anyone who has not read his website. More seriously, Hoagland thinks that Mars was once the tidaly-locked moon of the planet which was once just inside the orbit of Jupiter. That planet exploded for whatever reason, producing the asteroid belt and blowing off the surface of Mars' entire northern hemispere, which before had been the face which was always turned toward that planet. Mars then became a planet in its own right, albeit a ruined one. Also see Graham Hancock's book about Mars, especially the chapter titled "Mars, the Murdered Planet."

Laz

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The planet of War.

S+F

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ok, here's a scenario. What if there was a large amount of,say, uranium in a deposit and a meteorite came in with fissionable material and BANG. Just an idea. Don't even know if it's possible.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Thanks,
That is a very good thought, I hadn't even thought of Olympus Mons, that is one badass volcano.
It would be pretty cool if we get to see it erupt in our lifetimes.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It's all good fun speculation is all

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by projectvxn

Absolutely,
I am not doubting that a nuclear explosion occurred. I just find it hard to believe it happened naturally.

Why? There is plenty of physical evidence that nuclear explosions and explosions of nuclear proportions happen all the time in nature.

Maybe not so much anymore in a relatively cooled down solar system, but certainly in the past, and very possibly as little as a few hundred million years ago.

It would explain how rocks from Mars got here:
Rocks from mars

What was the state of the Earth back then(180MYA)? It was quite stable, and not just Earth, all planets in our solar system had reached relative stability at that time. NO, NO naturally occurring 1,000,000 megaton nuclear explosion is possible on that planet, especially if Mars 180MYA had qualities similar to Earth and WAS stable.

It would explain how Mars rocks reached earth, the explosion was immense. You were correct that in a cooled down solar system, such a thing isn't possible. But everything before that was simply for the sake of argument and not applicable to this particular time period.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ewok_Boba

No, I didn't say it isn't possible in a cooled down solar system. It is only less likely.

Earth and mars do NOT have the same make up. While at some point they may have shared similar characteristics, geologically speaking they are very difference worlds. Earth geological evolution cannot be compared to that of Mars.

Also read this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And then this post:

and this post:

NO, NO naturally occurring 1,000,000 megaton nuclear explosion is possible on that planet, especially if Mars 180MYA had qualities similar to Earth and WAS stable.

And you know this how?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Maybe this is a sign of what could happen to the Earth. Many credible and respectable scientists believe Mars once looked like the Earth with a dense atmosphere and blue oceans. Maybe intelligent life evolved there aswell and another race from the stars (perhaps the annunaki?) whiped them out for reasons unknown. I believe we are being extremely reckless with how willy nilly we announce our presence to the cosmos... and I do not believe that if other intelligent life exists, that there is a guarantee that they will come in peace...

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
So....I think some sort of civilization existed on mars or so how can a nuclear explosion take place naturally by itself??

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join