It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gmail Motion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Gmail Motion

A new way to communicate The mouse and keyboard were invented before the Internet even existed. Since then, countless technological advancements have allowed for much more efficient human computer interaction. Why then do we continue to use outdated technology? Introducing Gmail Motion -- now you can control Gmail with your body.

This idea could do one of two things, completely flop or totally revolutionize the way we communicate in our everyday lives through our computers. It is an interesting premise. Being that we didn't evolve with the specifics to sit 'rigidly' at a desk all day, can this get us up and communicating in a more comfortable manner?

Are we ready for it? Motion control is being implemented more and more throughout the computer and gaming industry. With the Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Kinect, and the Playstation Move already having a firm grip in the world of gaming, is this a foresight on how we will interact on a personal level in the future? I know I would rather pick up a controller to indulge in a session of pastime gaming. This could be because it is only at early stages of development or it could be just a habit that I refuse to change.

Of course like anything it will take some getting use to. If it catches on, this could be more than just a Gmail technology and could very well be be the first step towards implementing this technology throughout the way we interact with all computer programs and systems. Will it be akin to a second language, almost like a sign language? Could this eventually become a prerequisite required to attain future jobs in most fields?

EDIT: Didn't realize it was an April Fools Joke Haha, This day is just full of surprises.

edit on 1-4-2011 by born2BWild because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

did you get the memo?? 4-1-11

do i need to spoil it...?

funny

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
haha.....please, please tell me you knew this was a joke and were just playing along.

Regardless......funny stuff.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
That looks ridiculous like playing XBOX 360 and it doesn't surprise me this could be taken as real.

Companies are in the process of making physical 'touchable' holograms that I hope will take the place of keyboards and mice someday. The cool thing about this is you physically feel the keys or buttons.
I'm hoping for the minority report-like system myself.
edit on 4/1/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
yeah pretty sure that google said this was a april fools joke just like their opening for an autofill tech

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yea I just figured that out hahahah my bad.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by born2BWild

That's supposed to be easier then typing

Lol No thanks, I'd rather use ''outdated'' things.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I kept doing thrusts with my hips to say fck you but it kept telling the recipient "you're so hot". I then tried pointing at my butt, like it said, to say "kiss my butt" but what they got was "I love you like my own butt" so thats when I gave up. I just went back to my Kinect and started wailing on their avatars. I felt better after about 10 mins.

new topics

top topics

join